AVIC411.com

Need steering wheel controls with NEX receivers?

Hi.   I'm considering either a 4000 or 8000 to add to my 2004 Honda CRV.  The CRV does not have have steering wheel controls built in.   So I may need to add them.   But...   How useful are steering wheel controls with a NEX receiver?  Must have?  Nice to have?  Not really necessary?

What is your opinion.

Thanks,

Dan.

p.s. The CRV is a dingy (towed) vehicle that we bought seven weeks ago in a combo-deal with our new (to us) RV.  It's in good condition, but it's pretty basic with no steering wheel controls.   I'm wrestling with whether to invest in an extensive electronics system upgrade.   Adding steering wheel controls could increase the overall cost significantly

I use them all the time in my Audi. Mainly volume and phone answer / hang up. Sometimes I use the track skip but for that I usually just play with the HU to actually select what I want.

Source button is useless and annoying as it cycles through every source so if you want to get directly to the radio for example you have to go through all the other sources. Again I find it more convenient to use the HU.

Tbh, if I hadn't had them already I wouldn't be adding them, as the HU is easy to operate.

it's not easy putting steering wheel controls in if it doesnt already have them. i put them in my 97 camaro right after i put my nex in, i had to find a steering wheel and air bag from a later model camaro that had them in it then had to find a new clock spring luckly i was able to find a used one because new it was almost $500. after i did find everything i had to take the entire steering colum apart and swap evrything and wire it into the car. with buying everything used it wound up costing me about $200 and thats with all used parts. i only went thru all of this because my old steering wheel was shot and had to be changed anyway but i do love having the controls i can control just about everything on the radio.

If you get a 4000nex, you can use this remote, it attaches to steering wheel like the one you referenced. The 4000 has ir remote capabilities, and the 8000nex does not. you would need the one you referenced for the 8000nex, because it has module you wire into harness.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Cdsr100-Steering-Remote-Control/dp/B00A8LQDA2/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1405569459&sr=1-3&keywords=pioneer+steering+wheel+remote

If you get a 4000nex, you can use this remote, it attaches to steering wheel like the one you referenced. The 4000 has ir remote capabilities, and the 8000nex does not. you would need the one you referenced for the 8000nex, because it has module you wire into harness.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Cdsr100-Steering-Remote-Control/dp/B00A8LQDA2/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1405569459&sr=1-3&keywords=pioneer+steering+wheel+remote

Joemamma,

I looked at that one, but was concerned because it uses IR technology that can have problems in bright sun. Still pondering.

Regards,

Dan.