AVIC411.com

GIGANTIC 512GB HP USB Flash Drive

I did not know anybody made a flash drive this large. I just received it and ran diagnostics on it on my mac, and it shows 524 gb free. I am copying over 200 mp4 movies on it now, and will check it out on my 4000nex. I have been using a 240 gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, for my movies hopefully this will replace it.  It came brand new(EBAY Auction for 110.00) in sealed package, it is fat32. If this pans out, I will have 200 more movies to add to it and it is smaller than my the last two digits on my pinky finger.post-116197-0-37288800-1406149312_thumb.jpg

I would double check that after you copy all the files onto it.  I've read that there are lots of fake drives out there that claim to be bigger than they really are.  What people have reported is that it looks like it's copied all the files, but they cannot be read after that.  According to HP's site, that model only goes up to 64GB.

The Kingston 512GB drive is over $700.

Edited by hella356

That is what i am going to do, it is copying now. If something is messed up, Ebay has moneyback guarantee, paid with paypal. Seller had 100% feedback. So i feel good about it. If it is fake, they did a hell of a job. It is solid metal, and embossed with HP and 512 GB.

so i purchased a very similar HP flash drive a few months ago. disk utility reported more then 512mb. i thought that was very odd. i used the drive for a bit and it became unstable. slow read and write speeds. then finally it just wouldn't mount, the drive had failed. i did a little research and found out flash drives are heavily counterfeit. luck for me the seller gave me a full refund. i now will never purchase a flash drive from ebay as none can be trusted.

i would make sure you don't have any important files on their and back it up!

• 2 weeks later...

You could get a 7500rpm 750gb hdd for pretty cheap

Size, portability, place to put it, and powering are the biggest reasons for not going that route.  The powering is easily overcome, may just need extra parts.  Whether the others are issues are user dependent.

I think the micro sdxc 128gb from sandisk would do nicely in a 4 port sdxc to USB hub to get you 512mb but it seems like a 2.5inch hdd formatted correctly would work just as well in a powered or power over USB enclosure. 

I thought I've seen that some people have gotten SSDs to work.

• 2 months later...

I had a 256gb SSD laying around that I use with an external enclosure powered off of USB only. I put a ton of music and some HD .mkv videos on there. Very nice

I am currently installing the 8000NEX in my Truck.   First off,  Have you found that .mkv files work fine?  (must they be under the 4gb as stated)?

Also,  Could someone point me to a post or article where I can find the best Formatting for Music & Video Files on SSD?  ie:  Folder/File Name Structure to Use so that (i am assuming in File Mode) the HU will show as Album / File Name and recognize proper Album Art?   I am looking to get some music together by the time My Truck is ready to pick up....

Thanks much,

Scott R

Florence, Az