AVIC D3 Bypass with PICTURE!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you guys, this helped me very much.

I have the HD3 and you dont need to change the place of the Mute wire, theres alredy a remote wire on that slot, perfekt:)!

looks great in my Celica T Sport.

Thanks again guys(girls?!) :D

Best regards

Roy

post-11241-12872752878196_thumb.jpg

First of all, this forum rocks - thank you all for contributing!

I recently installed an AVIC D3 in my 2006 Golf TDI GLS - I used GomobileR32's DIY over on VWvortex to find all the correct wires. All wires to the Metra harness, VSS, night mode & body ground were stripped, twisted, soldered, liquid electrical taped, electrical taped (after the liquid stuff dried for at least 2 hours) and bundled with cable ties.

Yes, this took quite a while.

I did the bypass mod. I confirmed the moved mute wire, ground & parking brake wire were connected, grounded through the harness as well as grounded to a ground point on the power distribution block. In fact, I've checked this about 20x at this point. With a multimeter. A good one.

The bypass works - we can view DVDs while the vehicle is in motion. On the instrument/connector screen, the parking brake is marked as being on. However, I don't have the ability to input an address in the navigation section. POIs, address book, address entry, etc - all greyed out, all the time. Parked, moving, eluding the police, doesn't matter. They're unusable.

Everything else works fine. The map is working beautifully, the VSS is operating correctly, all the internal gyros respond well. I'm stumped!

Any ideas?

I've read that Pioneer may be disabling the mute wire bypass "in the future". This is a 2007 June built unit. The bypass works (Office Space looked pretty decent and the sound was excellent) but address input no go.

I've left the grounded mute wire out of the white harness, and that makes no difference. Also switched the mute wire with another unused wire (remote control?), grounded it and had no luck.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm using a copy of my navigation discs, but Nero didn't complain a bit and burned the DVD+R DL discs without a hitch. So, off to try the real ones.

And yes, I've checked all the wiring. Really, I have. Multiple times. Using a Fluke 76II true RMS meter. The mute wire is hooked up correctly, making contact with the pin and is grounded. And so are the parking brake & ground wires.

Thanks again!

scurvy

The only thing I can think of is that I'm using a copy of my navigation discs, but Nero didn't complain a bit and burned the DVD+R DL discs without a hitch. So, off to try the real ones.

The real ones worked! It works!

Man, this unit is incredible. Thanks for the help in documentation to everyone, and let it be known that using a Nero "Disc Copy" on Memorex DVD+R DL caused me to not have full nav functionality. Hopefully nobody else will have this problem.

scurvy

i did the bypass and everything works, except my navi is all screwed up now. my vehicle dynamics says its not available except like volts and direction. and also my pointer that represents my car on the map is now off the road and turned another direction than my car actually is, what could be wrong?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After reading through pages and pages of conversations and multiple threads on the topic, I decided to filter out the duplicates and condense all important information into a single post. This has helped me and hopefully others will benefit from this in the future. Thanks to all the original posters for the content, especially 'necro' for his fantastic tutorial. Again, this is just rehash from others experiences with the bypass, nothing new;

----------------------

Flash tutorial on bypass:

http://www.avic411.com/D3Bypass/album0.html

Forum on bypass

AVIC411.com Forum Index -> Hacks/Mods

Bypass instructions

Step 1: First remove the MUTE wire (yellow/black) with a pick

Step 2: Insert the MUTE wire into the empty slot right above the MUTE wire

Step 3: Ground the newly moved MUTE wire separately

Step 4: Ground the PARKING BRAKE (Avic-D3) wire (light green) separately

Location of MUTE wire and PARKING BRAKE wire

- There are two harnesses...one has all the power/speaker wires/parking brake/vss/etc...black plug which connects to the D3...

- The other has a white plug...and has the RCAs and mute wire on it...that is the one where you need to move the mute wire to the pin above it...

Important !

- Do not confuse the Avic-D3s parking brake wire with the vehicles original parking brake wire.

- The cars original parking brake wire remains untouched.

- The Avic-D3s parking brake wire (light green, on the harness with the black plug) gets grounded

Grounding instructions

- You could put a wire tap on the GROUND wire (black) and ground the PARKING BRAKE and MUTE wires to this.

- You can use the wire tap that is already on the PARKING BRAKE wire to tap into the GROUND wire. You could also use a tap to connect the MUTE wire to the black ground wire.

- Use t-taps, butt connectors or similar for the wire tap. Better to ground them (well secured) all together at one point. The more connections you have, the more the chance that something will go loose, so reduce the amount of individual ground connections

Best way to remove the MUTE wire and how to properly connect it to the new location

1. Do not rip it out. Use a small eyeglass screw driver or something and poke the metal tab sticking up. That tab on the crimp is what is keeping it in. Poke that down and it should be pretty easy to pull out that wire. Again. DO NOT forcefully pull out the MUTE wire from the harness.

2. The pin on the mute wire has a flat side and a side that has a gap in it. The gap goes on the inside and the flat side goes towards the outside (where the plastic clip is). Push the mute wire in all the way, then try and pull it out gently. If it comes out, it's not in all the way.

3. Make sure the MUTE wire is rotated 180 degree before putting it in the new position. Rotating the wire will make the lock pin line up with the lock tab. If it is not locked in it could get pushed out when you plug in the connector or make poor contact.

Tips to avoid bypass cut-offs

1. Use U shaped terminator connectors or better to secure GND/ground connection (as opposed to bare wire)

2. Make sure you do not bend the pin crimped to the MUTE wire during the move operation.

3. Release the plastic clip holding the MUTE wire in instead of yanking the wire from the plug.

4. Make sure that the ground connections are really good and secure

How to test the bypass is successful

1. Drive it past 15mph and see if it will play video.

2. Check if DVD playback works @ 60MPH

3. See if you have the ability to enter new destinations using address search

4. Also, you should never get a warning about your parking brake being connected incorrectly ("improper parking brake" message goes away)

5. If all connections are done properly and the bypass does not work, then try rebooting the unit using the hard RESET button

6. When you go into Hardware Info screen, then Connection Status screen, the parking brake should show ON

What about the VSS (Vehical Speed Sensor) wire?

- The VSS wire should be connected as instructed in the manual.

- The VSS wire has functions independently of the bypass and is should be connected for accurate navi performance.