AVIC411.com

AVIC D3 Bypass with PICTURE!!!

I was about to try to do the Bypass on my car, i was a little confused about the grounding part. once i move the mute wire to the empty slot, how do i ground it. if someone can help me with that it would be awesome!!!

Thanks,

Vinny

you can do it 2 ways, either splicing them to the units ground (the solid black wire) or taking a zip screw and making wire/bare metal contact with the car.

all electronics need a + and - current. it needs power to come in and a way for power to go out. so you can put it to basically any ground. just watch out if you do big projects cuz too many wires grounded to one wire can cause an overheat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

my RCA harness was never used when they installed my AVIC D3. i moved the mute wire to the correct port on the harness and plugged it into the back of my D3 with no wires attached to the other end. the mute wire out of the box has a rubber cover over the end opposite the plug. do i need to do anything to that wire or does the rubber cover act as a ground if it's not connected to anything? i don't want to ground my parking brake lead because i can pull my parking brake up one click and effectively use this as a switch to enable video playback without having the brake actually engaged. would either of these issues be responsible for the warning screen being initiated when i go past 15 mph? let me know.

The mute wire HAS to be grounded either to the radio's ground wire or the metal of the car's body. If the other end isn't attached to anything, it is not a closed circuit, and is therefor not grounded.

And yes, you can either ground the parking brake wire or attach it to the parking brake switch and use it that way. Although it's not really advisable to drive around with the parking brake up, even if it's at the first click and it's not actually doing anything.

If you want to be able to turn off the bypass at will, you should just ground the parking brake switch as you would normally for the bypass, then just put in a on/off toggle switch on the wire.

Why is it not advisable if the parking brake is not actually engaged? I don't want to install a switch because I've had cops actually search the inside of my car for switches before when I had none. Otherwise, does the parking brake wire NEED to be grounded or does pulling the brake handle up a click suffice?

Grounding the wire and hooking it to the switch and pulling up the brake lever does the same thing.

It's advisable not to drive around with the parking brake pulled up one notch because it's not good for your brakes, providing your parking brakes are operating correctly, that is. But if there isn't any pressure on the brake pads while the lever is up, I guess it can't really hurt anything.

One more question... it appears that everything is working properly as I drove around all day without ever having the parking brake warning message pop up (finally!) but my Check Engine Light has now come on. This light comes on every once in awhile due to the extensive modifications I have done to my car, but the timing of the CEL and my electrical work was a bit suspect so I thought I'd ask: is it possible that I did something to cause the CEL to come on, or is that totally out of left field?

I got my mute wire set and everything... Now onto the parking brake wire. When I bought my car the AVIC D3 came installed in it. The parking brake wire going behind my dash and I can't find the other end. Is this a problem? I know I need to ground it so can I just cut the parking brake wire, or would this not work correctly?

Thanks

Yes, you can just cut the wire and ground it. Just make sure you cap off the other end as it's never a good idea to have bare wire ends laying around. Although it technically can't hurt anything, as it's just connected to the grounding switch on your parking brake.

Is there a certain size/style wire tap i should be using too?

just make sure that its bein grounded. whether you your T-splices, electrical tape, whatever. little things like how to ground it are irrelevant, just make sure its grounded out

but personally i use 2 T splices and splice the mute wire to the parking break --> parking break to harness ground.