AVIC411.com

AVIC D3 Bypass with PICTURE!!!

Hey Guys.

I have been reading the posts on here for a few days. I just got a D3 and had the guys at best buy install it. I ask them to do the bypass and they said "They might" so I assumed that meant they would.

After the install I think they have done something wrong. When the car is in park none of the features work... as if the car is moving. When I push in the parking brake, all the features become available. This seems totally wrong to me. It would not bother me that much but when I start rolling the car door bell rings so much because the parking break is engaged. This totally defeats the purpose of the bypass Does anyone know what they did wrong? And how to fix it?

I think what they did is way wrong because I can’t even watch a DVD without the parking break engaged even if I’m stopped and in park???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Guys.

I have been reading the posts on here for a few days. I just got a D3 and had the guys at best buy install it. I ask them to do the bypass and they said "They might" so I assumed that meant they would.

After the install I think they have done something wrong. When the car is in park none of the features work... as if the car is moving. When I push in the parking brake, all the features become available. This seems totally wrong to me. It would not bother me that much but when I start rolling the car door bell rings so much because the parking break is engaged. This totally defeats the purpose of the bypass Does anyone know what they did wrong? And how to fix it?

I think what they did is way wrong because I can’t even watch a DVD without the parking break engaged even if I’m stopped and in park???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it's been said here yet, so I'll give my advice anyway.

If you buy your D3 used, you may have to reset it to the factory setting to make this work. I tried it several times, and still got the "brake wrong" message, until I reset the unit. Also you really have to make sure the mute wire is all the way in the wiring harness. A super small screwdriver (as mentioned here) works great.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently joined this thread and read it through twice before I made my mod.

2005 Expedition.

Unit was installed by Ford.

It took me longer to take the dashboard bezel out vs. removing the radio and making the mod!!

I removed pinned mute wire

Installed mute wire into correct location

Cut green wire leading to parking brake.

Capped off green wire end that was coming from the parking brake switch

Spliced mute wire, green wire from radio and ground wire together with wire nut and electrical tape

Ran ground wire to car frame

Reinstalled radio and dash trim

Unit works great!! ALL MODES!! Woo Hoo!!

Did find out that Ford installed the illumination wire but my unit never seemed to change when the headlights came on...WELL.>>>>> now the unit DOES go into night time mode...Fantastic!!!

Thanks to all of you who contributed to this hack....well done!!!

MK

• 3 weeks later...

I also have been reading all of these posts and went out to bypass the D3. The biggest problem that I have is I do not have a mute wire at all! every pin is filled on this mullex and no yellow with black stripe wire exists. I did end up taking the green (parking Break wire and grounding it directly to the frame of the vehicle. I tried to use the ground from the other mullex which goes to a factory ground inside of the vehicle, but after awhile the Brake errors arrives. I just completed this new ground so we will see if this works... My question is are you all aware that the white mullex on some units has a different wiring pattern?

Thanks for anyones help!

After running the vehicle an entire day the error did come back. I guess I do not know where to go from here at this point. My white connector which houses the rca inputs and outputs does not have a mute wire or any empty spaces available. Has anyone seen maybe in later units the white connector having different wiring connections? If not maybe someone could enlighten me on what the heck I am doing wrong!

Thanks

Not that anyone out here is even looking at this, but I figured out the problem. Seems as if when this unit was installed in my Expedition the mute wire was moved.... When they uninstalled it (sold the truck) the wire came out of the harness.... I am going to good ole Radio Shack this a.m. and getting a connector that will seat in the mullex and I am sure this will solve the issue. :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...