AVIC411.com

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone found a satisfying solution to this problem? My unit is doing the same thing and has gotten so bad that it's unresponsive to input in certain areas. I'd rather not pay Pioneer $80 to tell me what is wrong with the unit and then charge me an additional fee to replace the screen.  Has anyone had any success sourcing the screen or purchasing one directly from Pioneer?

I'd probably find a used one and swap the whole unit rather than having the screen replaced - it would probably cost less. My AR2 did that and it was becoming more obsolete by the day, so my solution was to replace it with an Appradio4, which supposedly has better screen construction (according to an email from Pioneer when I complained about their crappy AR2 screen). 

I'd probably find a used one and swap the whole unit rather than having the screen replaced - it would probably cost less. My AR2 did that and it was becoming more obsolete by the day, so my solution was to replace it with an Appradio4, which supposedly has better screen construction (according to an email from Pioneer when I complained about their crappy AR2 screen). 

Thanks, at this point I think I'll just wait until the Appradio 5 or other alternatives come out. I'd rather not lose any screen real estate with the smaller screen as negligible as it is, and hope that physical buttons make a return on the next revision.  Hopefully it will support wireless Carplay and last more than a couple of years before you've got to replace it.

I took mine apart and had a look at it.

IMG_1444.jpg

If I can only get my hands on a service/parts manual to make sure that I order the correct part I should be set to go.

http://service-manuals-schematics.com/purchase.php?id=Pioneer+SPH-DA100%2FXNEW5+Service+Manual+%2F+Schematics

I'm guessing maybe it's the monitor unit for $172.75?  Yikes!  Hmm, seems as it's out of stock. 

http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com/model.asp?modelNum=SPH-DA100

• 1 month later...

That looks like the adhesive between the digitizer and LCD is starting to give way, can you not heat it up with a hair dryer and carefully split the 2 screens and then remove the excess adhesive with nail polish remover/acetone, then just seal them back together around the edges.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, wondering if anyone ever found a solution to fixing the screen? 

These bubble type defects have now spread across my entire screen and all touch capabilities are null.

I tried going to Best Buy, but it's no longer covered under warranty. Just curious if anyone knows how I can restore my screen functionality? It's permanently stuck on the "Warning" screen (as I cannot press okay).

I attached a photo.

28spnoy.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Cathaldub is right. Its the glue from the digitizer melting. Everyone that has posted here has the same issue. Basically your car heated up and the di-electric glue pioneer used is NOT designed for a car.

DO NOT USE A BLOW DRYER. Blow drying it or heating it up will just make it function worse. There is basically a plastic grid of wires that sends a signal to the radio where you touch the screen on that grid. The glue both allows a connection and holds the plastic and wires in place.

The options are:

1) never buy a pioneer radio again, they're not going to start putting the correct glue to take the heat of a car.any time soon.

2) rip the glass digizier off like i.did and use your smart phone, remote, or other device to control the radio

3) pay 80 and have pioneer look at it an hope they don't charge you more for their poor design. And or yell at customer service until they fix it for free

4) pay 170 or so for the new digitizer and fix it yourself..super easy to do if you have a screwdriver and know how to plug something in.

5) some how remove the screen and glue without damaging any of the very delicate wires. I tried a hair dryer and then ripped the plastic off the glass after 30 minutes. Then i just tried saving the glass cover. I scrubbed at a little spot of glue for another 30 minutes... not even a bit came off. Your going to need some sort of goof off if your going to hope to do it. I don't know how they screwed this Radios design up so bad... the screen is usually the most expensive part. Ill post a pic of what i did soon

• 2 weeks later...

the exact same thing happened to me as everyone else in this thread.  the photos posted look exactly like my radio.

i ended up buying a used appradio 2 off of ebay for $100. had to pay to then have it installed as well since i have no skills at all for installation.

well, the used one i bought 2 of the buttons will not work on the radio the volume down and the back button.  now two months later all of the physical buttons do not work anymore.  if i press any button on the radio i lose all touch and steering wheel control the unit completely locks up.  makes no sense at all.  luckily i have steering wheel controls that i can use but that is going to take some getting used to.

pioneer really should be fixing these units for free

I've probably posted in this thread at some point. I had an AppRadio2 do the same thing. It was out of warranty. I moved on with another head unit.  

Pioneer has changed the construction of its AppRadio Screens. I was told directly from Pioneer that the AR4 screen is not made the same way as the AR2 screen was. 

I would never expect Pioneer to fix all the broken AR2s. That's ludicrous. They're out of warranty. The sceens failed after that period. It's an OLD model. You're not entitled to having it fixed for free. Let's be accountable for our own decisions.

• 1 month later...

the exact same thing happened to me as everyone else in this thread.  the photos posted look exactly like my radio.

i ended up buying a used appradio 2 off of ebay for $100. had to pay to then have it installed as well since i have no skills at all for installation.

well, the used one i bought 2 of the buttons will not work on the radio the volume down and the back button.  now two months later all of the physical buttons do not work anymore.  if i press any button on the radio i lose all touch and steering wheel control the unit completely locks up.  makes no sense at all.  luckily i have steering wheel controls that i can use but that is going to take some getting used to.

pioneer really should be fixing these units for free