AVIC411.com

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Can I get some clarification on the cause of this problem (apart from poor design and construction). Is it a case where the heat inside the car is causing this to happen? Mine didn't start coming apart until early summer and has got progressively worse as summer continues, however other comments in other forums have suggested it has happened to then during cooler periods. In Australia the replacement costs around $150 but I'm not going bother if the problem is just random or age related.

• 4 weeks later...

The problem is caused by a loss of adhesion or delamination of the inner & outer screen, when this happens you usually have a loss of response in the affected area with no physical signs of a defect. The app radio screen issue is really unusual due to the fact you can actually see the affected area.

The last resort repair method only works on resistive touch type screens.

The last resort repair attempt method is to remove the touch screen from the unit & separate it from the lcd screen, then place the glass screen on a perfectly clean flat surface, apply heat over the entire screen with a hair dryer & gently apply slight pressure on the the screen & repeat as necessary, I use a wide rubber roller (block printing type) or you could use a rolling pin with a thin piece of cloth to protect the screen.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I live in Arizona where it gets very hot during the summer and you would expect this to happen with extreme heat, funny thing was, it happened to me during the winter with the cold. It started on the right side of the screen and within a week spread all across the screen. Touch was still working, but ended up purchasing a new replacement touchscreen from Pioneer. I'm registered on Pioneer's parts site so having the service manual to be able to order the parts by it's part number came in very handy. I did call Pioneer regarding this and basically was told to kick rocks.... thanks Pioneer....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

in my opinion, the heating problems arise because the speakers are not compatible with the unit. OEM speakers have 2 ohm and unit drive out minimum 4ohm, if you listen at high volume streaming via Bluetooth result is very hot. I have also a problem with touch, but diferent- not respond at all, after i dont use this unit 1 year. I put it back and no respond.

• 1 month later...

in my opinion, the heating problems arise because the speakers are not compatible with the unit. OEM speakers have 2 ohm and unit drive out minimum 4ohm, if you listen at high volume streaming via Bluetooth result is very hot. I have also a problem with touch, but diferent- not respond at all, after i dont use this unit 1 year. I put it back and no respond.

This is a very interesting thought! Which I never thought about the heat from the actual unit causing the issue. However, I noticed this issue following hot summer days in Philly. Now my Appradio 2 is almost impossible see in the sun, but still works flawlessly. 

Who has the links for screen replacement? I wouldnt mind doing this myself if its doable.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Since the AppRadio line doesn't seem to be developed by Pioneer anymore (rumors of the AR5 are quite stale), I'm looking at some of the other radios supported by "AR Unchained" (the 'droid app I use - the only reason I'm still looking at Pioneer models) and I have to wonder if any of those double-DIN touchscreens are failing, too.