AVIC411.com

New Firmware for AVIC-F60DAB (also with NEX)

Mine gets stuck on "Reading". Left it for a good 20 minutes. USB stick formatted as fat32 on Windows, folder added as top level, nothing else on stick (the Pioneer one that came with the unit no less!)

Will try later with an SD card if no one has any ideas...

You got it working? Mine does the same, been waiting 20 mins now and nothing is happening.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I managed successfully to upgrade my firmware using a USB flash drive, infact one that was provided with my head unit from Pioneer. You have to make sure it is connected to USB1 otherwise I don't think it will work? I have tried to do some sort of update using naviextras but I'm unable to locate the synctool that it states you must use on the head unit. I select the map screen but I cannot find the settings to take me to the synctool page? I have the avic-f960dab

• 2 years later...

After updating to the latest version, I faced a new problem! Everytime I press the "map" button in order to activate the navigation functions, a message shows on screen "please make sure you have the latest version of bluetooth firmware of the unit". I mean, what is this, I have the latest update on AVIC-F60DAB and also the latest firmware on iPhone 6S and of course no jailbreaks etc at all! Could anyone please understand what is going on and maybe help me understand too? I have contacted via email with local representative of Pioneer but as always they seem to be out of understanding...!

After updating to the latest version, I faced a new problem! Everytime I press the "map" button in order to activate the navigation functions, a message shows on screen "please make sure you have the latest version of bluetooth firmware of the unit". I mean, what is this, I have the latest update on AVIC-F60DAB and also the latest firmware on iPhone 6S and of course no jailbreaks etc at all! Could anyone please understand what is going on and maybe help me understand too? I have contacted via email with local representative of Pioneer but as always they seem to be out of understanding...!

After you flash the latest update you have to update the bluetooth firmware also. Go to the bluetooth section in settings to do that. will take a couple of mins

It will look for the files from the same folder you flashed the head unit firmware from (use the same files/sdcard/usb)

You mean with the same update file that I have copied on the SD card? I have seen on their site now, that they have released a newer version 1.1.4, so if I download it and copy it on a SD card, first I should update from the main menu and then on the bluetooth menu, always with the same update file?

Thank you for giving me this information that I could not get anywhere else!

You mean with the same update file that I have copied on the SD card? I have seen on their site now, that they have released a newer version 1.1.4, so if I download it and copy it on a SD card, first I should update from the main menu and then on the bluetooth menu, always with the same update file?

Thank you for giving me this information that I could not get anywhere else!

yes

• 4 months later...

Hi all, I have come across this thread a few times recently and now realise this is a forum I need to be in, so this is virgin post :)

Having always love Alpine stuff, I need a new double din for my Audi A6 Allroad 2005, and I just can't afford the Alpines (with features I want) so I am going for Pioneer instead. I am looking at buying a used Avic-F60DAB which I THINK I am right in saying is the same as the US model 8200NEX (??). I have also been offered a used F77DAB and an ex display 'new' F88DAB. Struggling to decide at the moment.I am not into carplay even though I have an iPhone, so I definitely won't be using that. I do however want HDMI for mirroring the phone, and built in quality navigation is important. I also want to bypass the safety video thing, as I do lot of shooting for farmers and often sit half the night in fields bumbling around looking for foxes. So having video and more importantly, YouTube mirrored off my iPhone ideally, that would help me while away the hours sat drinking coffee and snooping around at crawling speeds! I think it's just a case of grounding the cable but not 100% sure.

Anyway, the reason I am interesting in the firmware upgrade is because the F60DAB I have been offered is a good few years old now (hardly used in that time by all accounts) but the owner doesn't know much about it and certainly won't have updated anything on it. I will want to get it right up to date, as much as possible anyway, with new maps, and any firmware upgrades. 

Am I right in thinking I can upgrade the firmware, and can I ask what benefits there are in doing this? Does it get rid of that annoying safety confirmation every time you open the sat nav (which I have read about when researching the F60) 

thanks for any help, I want to get it as updated as poss

Hi. The F60DAB (european) is labeled as NEX8000 in the US. Latest firmware is 1.15 released last month. To update the maps you can buy/update the maps with naviextras (not cheap), or you can patch/hack the IGO software to install downloaded packages from online sites/forums. Patch/hack/testmode is confirmed working up to fw 1.14 (1.15 you need new testkeys so not 100% confirmed working yet) Then you can install/transfer maps and remove the safety warning with some scripts you can get in this forum. Regarding the handbrake, its a grounding thing as you say :)

Thankfully I found this thread again in my frantic Googling about the F60DAB because forum topic notifications haven't arrived and are nowhere to be seen (not in spam etc)

Wow, Thanks so much SpecTrax - for responding so quickly and with such useful information. 

I was on Crutchfield reading the reviews on the 8000NEX and they are amazing..... UNTIL you go to page 2 (earlier) and then there are quite a few people complaining about bugginess, freezing GPS position or not finding it, crashing and all sorts. That got me worried for a minute, but they are still in the minority. I am buying the unit used from a decent guy who has hardly used it, so I assume it will come stock as it came to him new in March 2014. That concerns me slightly as I will need to update the maps. How much as we talking roughly to do it the normal way?

My wife has an Android chinese special in her transit and i set it up with iGo (maps found online) so I am probably up to the task if I learn a bit, but I really do not want to brick my Pioneer as I am spending a lot of money on this. 

Also I read a lot of reviews (US) saying "Pioneer don't do firmware upgrades, they just release a new model" and things like that from angry people. From your post that sounds like BS which is music to my ears, pardon the pun! :)

Thanks again. 

In case anyone cares to share their views and help guide me, my current choice is as follows and I am fairly stuck with what to do (being short of cash doesn't help so all of them are a stretch really)

F60DAB - 3 years old mint condition £430

F77DAB - 8 months old mint condition £600
F88DAB - Ex display from shop £699
F88DAB - Retail new £779

As far as I can tell, the F60DAB has absolutely everything the later ones have, possibly except for the annoying navigation warning (which I could live with, or sort by hacking if too annoying). 
I think I am right in saying the F60 can do tilt screen (handy for me as its very low in car), has capacitive touch screen which I would really like.
ONE question I can not find the answer to is whether it has a detachable fascia/removable screen for security?
Pioneer says it does (https://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/avic-f60dab/specifications), but nowhere else does so I am not sure if it's true, can someone confirm?

Thanks again Spec, lifesaver for chipping in here

PS, just as an example, from Amazon

"Beware!!!! Like other reviewers said, Pioneer never updates firmware to resolve problems. Their solution is to generate new models. I spent $1000 for this and.... it will NOT work with Android even with the $60 kit for the adapters. The GPS does suck. You cannot speak into the unit what or where you are looking for. You have to type it in and it is set up backwards, State, city, street name, address #. Oh and if you type at normal speed, entries don't show up because the unit tries to autofill and guess what you are entering but the software is SLOW. You must type in one digit every 3 or 4 seconds or it doesn't register on the screen. Crap! If you have something plugged into one of the usb ports, Bluetooth audio will not work. The unit has no OFF position so it turns on every time you start your vehicle. Its a fingerprint magnet. Just so angry that Pioneer has not offered a firmware update to resolve issues in 6 months. It will randomly pop up an error message for the parking brake even though it is properly connected. It will ask if you want to search for a Bluetooth device AFTER my phone is already connected. So many issues... what a shame. Lesson learned. Flagship my a$$... failure"

Assuming that's not a Kenwood sales rep on his lunch break!! .... I am sure much of this can't be true. Surely I can have an iPod permanently connected in glovebox (thats my plan) and still connect my phone with bluetooth?! Sounds like one of those idiots possibly making stuff up because there is something he really hates and regrets his purchase,?