AVIC411.com

iTunes rips CD's in the format set under Edit>Preferences>Import Settings... so what information (tags) is stored in the file header depends on which format you choose.  I know WAVE does not have as robust support for tagging as does mp3 and others... but I believe it handles basic tags: artist, album, title, track#. 

AFAIK, iTunes does not embed artwork in the file.  It stores the artwork in an iTunes subdirectory.  There are "scripts" out there that will do it though.  Not sure about Mac and other OS's, but I downloaded the one for Windows from here: http://sheerboredom.net/2010/10/11/embed-album-artwork-from-itunes-into-mp3-files/

There's a link on that page for an AppleScript, which I suppose works on a Mac.  Note the title says mp3, but it worked for my ALAC (.m4a) files.  I don't recall modifying the script.  If anyone downloads and it does not work for other than mp3's, let me know and I'll post the script's text for comparison.

I used iTunes to rip my CDs, and make my libraries from downloaded music, all I have done was highlight my music selection, copy it, amd paste it to my sd card. All done, pop it into my nex and I have album art for 98% of my music collection.

What format did you rip to?

iTunes may embed artwork for CD rips... judging from your post.  I didn't rip mine using iTunes.  At the time, iTunes did not support ALAC ripping.

What I was referring to is when you have missing artwork and you use iTunes to "fetch" it.  TTBOMK, it does not embed that artwork in the files. At least it didn't use to.  iTunes is updated more often than anything on my computer, and yet I use it very little.

• 4 weeks later...

I have 105 CD's in lossless on a 128GB flash drive. Works for me if I want high quality tunes. 256kbps is also very good if using iPod/iPhone. 

iPod is truly the simplest way to go. Even get an iPod classic which can get up to 160GB's. Run a usb to your glove compartment and leave it in there if you just want music. 

That's exactly what I did when I bought my car. My music library is around 25,000 tracks, and it takes up about 70GB. I know lossless is the way to go, but most of my tracks are 192-320kbps MP3s, which is fine for my tin ear. :)

I have over 2k songs in my iTunes library, I put them on a 64gb SD card which took up less than 15gb & they live in my 8000.

Your 8000 is reading the 64gb card? It's been reported on this forum that 32gb sd-hc cards are the highest capacity that will be read in the NEX. Which card to you have? If it works I'm buying one :smile:.