AVIC411.com

Got an answer that actually makes sense about CarPlay

So I was on the chat with Apple in regards to a missing street on their maps app, when I decided to ask about Carplay.

http://imgur.com/hiYyxJX

http://imgur.com/qmLJ8OL

As you can see in the two photos of the chat, what seems to be the case with CarPlay is not that CarPlay itself is unfinished, or that the Pioneer Software is not ready, but that the development tools for 3rd party CarPlay apps is not yet ready.

This makes sense. The only times I have seen 3rd party apps shown off on Carplay is when Apple is the one doing the Demos. When I have seen demos from Hyundai, or from Pioneer that are not done by an Apple rep, but instead are done by a rep from the 3rd party manufacturers, the 3rd party apps are noticeably missing. Also, Carplay itself has been available since iOS 7.1.

So, it looks like Apple wants carplay to be open to any app that fits within what it deems to be acceptable for a car app, but it wants to make sure it gets the development tools right before it launches the feature.

So there we go guys. Apple isn't waiting for a specific date. They aren't holding it up solely to make Pioneer look bad, and yes they are holding up the update, which is why Pioneer is at a loss for words as to what to do in the mean time.

The Support guy did say that getting these tools finished is a top priority. So Apple isn't sitting on their hands. Hopefully they will be done soon.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They could still release the product since it is basically finished, and being shipped pre-installed on cars now.

The apps that are created later by third party developers would just be added to the program when they are available. I am guessing they will have a separate App Store section, just for CarPlay.

I am again guessing that CarPlay will only come with the apple standard apps and we will have to purchase the third party apps.

Just speculation

Phil

They could still release the product since it is basically finished, and being shipped pre-installed on cars now.

The apps that are created later by third party developers would just be added to the program when they are available. I am guessing they will have a separate App Store section, just for CarPlay.

I am again guessing that CarPlay will only come with the apple standard apps and we will have to purchase the third party apps.

Just speculation

Phil

Well the thing is the 6 apps are supposed to launch with Carplay. They obviously aren't ready yet because the dev tools to make them aren't yet finished. I'm holding out hope that this will also mean that apple will have an open submission process like the regular App Store, and not a weird arbitrary process like on the Apple TV.

So I was on the chat with Apple in regards to a missing street on their maps app, when I decided to ask about Carplay. http://imgur.com/hiYyxJXhttp://imgur.com/qmLJ8OL

As you can see in the two photos of the chat, what seems to be the case with CarPlay is not that CarPlay itself is unfinished, or that the Pioneer Software is not ready, but that the development tools for 3rd party CarPlay apps is not yet ready.

This makes sense. The only times I have seen 3rd party apps shown off on Carplay is when Apple is the one doing the Demos. When I have seen demos from Hyundai, or from Pioneer that are not done by an Apple rep, but instead are done by a rep from the 3rd party manufacturers, the 3rd party apps are noticeably missing. Also, Carplay itself has been available since iOS 7.1.

So, it looks like Apple wants carplay to be open to any app that fits within what it deems to be acceptable for a car app, but it wants to make sure it gets the development tools right before it launches the feature.

So there we go guys. Apple isn't waiting for a specific date. They aren't holding it up solely to make Pioneer look bad, and yes they are holding up the update, which is why Pioneer is at a loss for words as to what to do in the mean time.

The Support guy did say that getting these tools finished is a top priority. So Apple isn't sitting on their hands. Hopefully they will be done soon.

Well done! You seem to have nailed it. Now, the telltale sign that the firmware update is imminent will be when the announced third-party apps (iHeartRadio, MLB at Bat, Spotify, Stitcher, Beats (yes, no longer "third-party")) receive app updates with "CarPlay support" listed in the release notes, which tellingly has yet to happen for any of them. Apple's own Podcasts app, which is Apple's only CarPlay app not built into iOS 7.1, received just such an update on May 15.

So, keep your eyes on any updates for those apps!

Well done! You seem to have nailed it. Now, the telltale sign that the firmware update is imminent will be when the announced third-party apps (iHeartRadio, MLB at Bat, Spotify, Stitcher, Beats (yes, no longer "third-party")) receive app updates with "CarPlay support" listed in the release notes, which tellingly has yet to happen for any of them. Apple's own Podcasts app, which is Apple's only CarPlay app not built into iOS 7.1, received just such an update on May 15.

So, keep your eyes on any updates for those apps!

I have all of the apps downloaded on my phone and just sitting in a folder labeled "Carplay". The second I see my phone updating any of those apps I check them for verbiage about carplay. 

Nice post, OP.  i was just about to post and tell everyone to keep their pants on, the software wont be out for like another month, so stop speculating that its gonna work incorrectly, or not be ready.  I am confident you wont see updates for carplay apps until the day of (maybe day before) IOS8 comes out.  Till then, just wait.  Itll work just fine

Sorry. Apple is waiting. Getting a response from someone on a tech chat is not company policy. Is it possible Apple wants more apps ready for release? Sure. This would not be the hold up for an entire "product". The Pioneer firmware is apparently ready as are other car manufacturers. Carplay itself either has a few bugs or features that need to be worked out. iOS 8 will most likely be the next iphone update. It's just not going to happen before that.

I'm with spankey. How would someone on apple support chat have the key info we have been wanting all along. Seems like this guy just knew a bit about carplay and is as eager as the rest of us to give it a go. Just because he said it doesn't make it true or a reliable source. 

Sorry. Apple is waiting. Getting a response from someone on a tech chat is not company policy. Is it possible Apple wants more apps ready for release? Sure. This would not be the hold up for an entire "product".

And your source for that is . . . what exactly?

The Pioneer firmware is apparently ready as are other car manufacturers. Carplay itself either has a few bugs or features that need to be worked out. iOS 8 will most likely be the next iphone update. It's just not going to happen before that.

Now, it seems like you're agreeing with the OP. As the OP explained, CarPlay still has some bugs and features that need to be fixed--namely, the third-party development tools are not finished.

I'm with spankey. How would someone on apple support chat have the key info we have been wanting all along. Seems like this guy just knew a bit about carplay and is as eager as the rest of us to give it a go. Just because he said it doesn't make it true or a reliable source.

Maybe he knows because he actually works for Apple?

Apple doesn't give this type of information to low level employees. That much is fact.

Just like if you call up pioneer and talk to a phone rep they wont have any solid information about carplay or avicsync. Anything these representatives say will be unofficial and unsubstantiated. 

That's why people are waiting for an official response. Once an official response is available, it will be plastered on every tech site as a headline. 

Go on apple support chat or call in to ask about carplay. I bet if you talk to 5 different people you will get 5 vastly different responses. 

Totally agree with kadernal.

The support guys at Apple know as much as us. Apple just doesn't release information about products via channels such as support chats. No one except Apple and the folks at the car/audio companies that are under NDA know what's going on. Anything else you hear is hearsay.

Apple doesn't give this type of information to low level employees. That much is fact.

Just like if you call up pioneer and talk to a phone rep they wont have any solid information about carplay or avicsync. Anything these representatives say will be unofficial and unsubstantiated. 

That's why people are waiting for an official response. Once an official response is available, it will be plastered on every tech site as a headline. 

Go on apple support chat or call in to ask about carplay. I bet if you talk to 5 different people you will get 5 vastly different responses. 

This