AVIC411.com

4G data in Truck

Does anyone know if you can connect the 8000NEX in any way to a WIFI signal?

I know it will use the data connection on your phone.

However, i want to connect a more perminate data source to the head unit. like a cellular WIFI hotspot, onstar 4g lte data ect. 

If the unit will not do it does anyone know of a compatiable add-on?

Thanks Joe

Does anyone know if you can connect the 8000NEX in any way to a WIFI signal?

I know it will use the data connection on your phone.

However, i want to connect a more perminate data source to the head unit. like a cellular WIFI hotspot, onstar 4g lte data ect. 

If the unit will not do it does anyone know of a compatiable add-on?

Thanks Joe

I think you'll need to know more details about how AVICSYNC works before that question can be answered. I believe that as the current series exists, it can't do diddly squat with wi-fi.

I was looking at the Matricom G-BOX MIDNIGHT MX2 and FLYMOTE today.

http://matricom.net/products/g-box-midnight-mx2/#tab-crum-1

http://www.amazon.com/Matricom-G-Box-MX2-Android-Special/dp/B00GR30SW4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1P8B0EVAEZ67A2TS8BHP

http://www.amazon.com/Matricom-G-Mouse-Wireless-Mouse-Keyboard/dp/B00FQQTUAY

You have to supply the hotspot... then I think this system will allow you to run any android app and use the NEX as a display through HDMI port.

The MX2 supports wireless mouse/keypad.  It'd be nice if the NEX screen could serve as a touchscreen for the MX2... but that's probably asking to much of Pioneer ((( :D)))

Note:  I was previously looking at HDMI dongles like BiggiFi... but it relies on having a phone as the human interface/controller instead of a mouse/keypad.  I emailed their support asking if it could be operated as a standalone system with USB mouse/keypad ... never got a reply.

I've been thinking of running one of my extra raspberry pi's with a USB wifi adapter, but it will require installing a power inverter to get power to it all. 

Would be the same deal with the MX2. 

I don't see the purpose of having wifi for the unit itself. Is there something I am missing? It seems as if most of the stuff you want to use wifi for would run over your phone anyway....

I mean seriously, the unit is branded

"NEX, the Networked Entertainment eXperience, the next generation of network connected in-vehicle receivers, combining on-board embedded features with cloud-based connected services"

Some people cant pull data and make a call, so if your streaming content from your phone, you lose your place, and in some cases have to restart. I want Internet to be able to stream shows off netflix or apple tv for the passengers (kids) on trips.

"NEX, the Networked Entertainment eXperience, the next generation of network connected in-vehicle receivers, combining on-board embedded features with cloud-based connected services"

Some people cant pull data and make a call, so if your streaming content from your phone, you lose your place, and in some cases have to restart. I want Internet to be able to stream shows off netflix or apple tv for the passengers (kids) on trips.

I think that's the direction Google's Connected Car is going. I'm thinking that might require it's own data connection.

OK I get what you're saying, but....

If I had kids I wouldn't want to stream videos over Netflix/aTV ( both of which are probably going to buffer like crazy when driving in and out of cell service and probably drop the quality to less than SD) when I can plug in a DVD or SSD/SD card with pre-loaded HD video files so easily. 

AT&T and T-Mobile let you use data and voice at the same time. Verizon has talked about launching their voLTE to coincide with the iPhone 6 release with most reports pointing to the fact that iOS8 will probably enable the use of voLTE on the iPhone 5S/5C and all the android devices that support data and voice (that can't currently do d/v, most can already) will be ready to go when the network is available.

Just imagining pioneer had built wifi into the NEX line, what would you do to get the data connection? Tether your phone (if your phone can't do d/v you are in the same boat as without wifi)? 4G dongle? I think that it was a calculated move on pioneers part as having a dedicated wifi connection on the head unit wont really be used by the majority of the people who purchase one.

Any two (or more) devices connected such that they can share data constitute a network.  The NEX units connect to your smartphone via either Bluetooth or a wired connection, thus forming a network.

I use a Verizon Delphi Connect 4G connected to the OBD II port on my Ford Edge, and it works great as a hotspot for the car. Since my iPhone is connected to the hotspot, I can make calls and use the internet at the same time. Not so if I was just useing my phone LTE for my data. The device is fairly inexpensive, about $99.00 one time cost, and $5 a month to add it to an existing data plan.

I do wish that Pioneer would have built in WiFi capability in the NEX HU's so they could join a WiFi hotspot. I could see many areas that the unit could benifit from that type of persistant WiFi connection. Having in-car devices all hooked up to the same WiFi network just make science to me. Much more so than the Bluetooth or direct connections.

Beside, doesn't NEX stand for Networked Entertainment eXperiance? I don't get it. Where is the network part?

Theedge, read the post above yours for the answer to your last question. 

And can you please elaborate on the "many areas that the unit could benefit from that type of persistant wifi" I am honestly curious/would love to see what I seem to be missing in my thought process and no one is offering up any SPECIFIC benefits.  

The more I think about it it seems superfluous to have wifi connection with avicsync and carplay. Both of these are meant to integrate apps/connectivity into the unit.

What would be the benefit of having say a Netflix/pandora/youtube/browser app ON the receiver itself when carplay is meant to achieve that exact functionality and more? I have already addressed the voice + data issue in my above post.

99.9% of consumers who own a phone aren't going to go out and buy a $100 piece of hardware, pay $5/month and pay to add extra data to their plan just to use built in wifi.  

I think once carplay is available everyone in here will begin to realize there isn't much point at all to having wifi on the receiver. If you are android you should be looking into app radio unchained anyway, you can do everything you are talking about in such a better way. 

You're not going to be browsing the web when you are driving down the freeway so in a real life situation you are almost certainly going to be using the browser far less often than you would imagine. 

The exception to all of this being a case of if you had forgotten your phone at home. But then you would have to have a hotspot anyway. We are going in circles here. 

Theedge, read the post above yours for the answer to your last question. 

And can you please elaborate on the "many areas that the unit could benefit from that type of persistant wifi" I am honestly curious/would love to see what I seem to be missing in my thought process and no one is offering up any SPECIFIC benefits.  

The more I think about it it seems superfluous to have wifi connection with avicsync and carplay. Both of these are meant to integrate apps/connectivity into the unit.

What would be the benefit of having say a Netflix/pandora/youtube/browser app ON the receiver itself when carplay is meant to achieve that exact functionality and more? I have already addressed the voice + data issue in my above post.

99.9% of consumers who own a phone aren't going to go out and buy a $100 piece of hardware, pay $5/month and pay to add extra data to their plan just to use built in wifi.  

I think once carplay is available everyone in here will begin to realize there isn't much point at all to having wifi on the receiver. If you are android you should be looking into app radio unchained anyway, you can do everything you are talking about in such a better way. 

You're not going to be browsing the web when you are driving down the freeway so in a real life situation you are almost certainly going to be using the browser far less often than you would imagine. 

The exception to all of this being a case of if you had forgotten your phone at home. But then you would have to have a hotspot anyway. We are going in circles here.

By having a properly networked system you could,,

Stream video from any phone (not just the one hardwired) to a rear entertainment screen

Stream music from any connected phone on the network

Get real time, updated maps to the built-in navigation system, without a dedicated phone

Get real time traffic without the phone hooked up, or with Verizon, being on the phone

For CarPlay or AppRadio, connect content from any phone in the car, without switching wires or dropping and adding a Bluetooth connection

A WiFi enabled HU could also get real time car diagnostics and gauge information from anther OBD II device, without a maestro.

So you see, a WiFi network is more than just the internet. It's about a NETWORK. A network that would link all WiFi enabled devices in the car

As to your comment about the cost of a hotspot, it's not about the phone, it's about the car. 99.9 percent of the folks out there will not spend $1400 for a new entertainment radio for their car either.

As far as taking in circles, it must be be you, I have a Wifi enabled vehicle and can see its current and future benifits.

Any two (or more) devices connected such that they can share data constitute a network.  The NEX units connect to your smartphone via either Bluetooth or a wired connection, thus forming a network.

I guess I have a more pluralistic definition of a network. To me, one phone connected via Bluetooth or cable to one HU is not really a network. If it is, then it's a very limited one.

For someone who has been working in technology since the early 80's, maybe I am out of touch with current definitions. :)