AVIC411.com

4G data in Truck

By having a properly networked system you could,,

Stream video from any phone (not just the one hardwired) to a rear entertainment screen

Stream music from any connected phone on the network

Get real time, updated maps to the built-in navigation system, without a dedicated phone

Get real time traffic without the phone hooked up, or with Verizon, being on the phone

For CarPlay or AppRadio, connect content from any phone in the car, without switching wires or dropping and adding a Bluetooth connection

A WiFi enabled HU could also get real time car diagnostics and gauge information from anther OBD II device, without a maestro.

So you see, a WiFi network is more than just the internet. It's about a NETWORK. A network that would link all WiFi enabled devices in the car

As to your comment about the cost of a hotspot, it's not about the phone, it's about the car. 99.9 percent of the folks out there will not spend $1400 for a new entertainment radio for their car either.

As far as taking in circles, it must be be you, I have a Wifi enabled vehicle and can see its current and future benifits.

Thank you, thats all I was looking for. :eek:  All of that is legitimate. I didn't realize that a hotspot worked as a router and gave all devices created a shared network, I thought it just delivers a data connection. Who'da thunk it did much more(not me, but I am not a smart man). That is very neat. I guess I'm not as nice as you as I feel that as the driver it's my way or the highway for what is played in the front seats. 

Oh well, doesn't matter anyway as the NEX doesn't have wifi. 

Theedge, read the post above yours for the answer to your last question. 

And can you please elaborate on the "many areas that the unit could benefit from that type of persistant wifi" I am honestly curious/would love to see what I seem to be missing in my thought process and no one is offering up any SPECIFIC benefits.  

The more I think about it it seems superfluous to have wifi connection with avicsync and carplay. Both of these are meant to integrate apps/connectivity into the unit.

What would be the benefit of having say a Netflix/pandora/youtube/browser app ON the receiver itself when carplay is meant to achieve that exact functionality and more? I have already addressed the voice + data issue in my above post.

99.9% of consumers who own a phone aren't going to go out and buy a $100 piece of hardware, pay $5/month and pay to add extra data to their plan just to use built in wifi.  

I think once carplay is available everyone in here will begin to realize there isn't much point at all to having wifi on the receiver. If you are android you should be looking into app radio unchained anyway, you can do everything you are talking about in such a better way. 

You're not going to be browsing the web when you are driving down the freeway so in a real life situation you are almost certainly going to be using the browser far less often than you would imagine. 

The exception to all of this being a case of if you had forgotten your phone at home. But then you would have to have a hotspot anyway. We are going in circles here. 

General Motors is. They're putting hotspots in most of their 2015 cars.

Having one come pre-installed in your vehicle vs going out and buying one is a bit different though.

I would rather have one not installed In my truck, cause then I could pull it out and use it outside my vehicle if I wanted

I can appreciated that, but at the same time you also come to a forum to post about your aftermarket touch screen navigation unit. Most consumers can't even save a word document to any place other than their desktop. 10% of the internet population today is still using 56k dialup. 

Most consumers aren't going out and looking for stuff like this on their own. But if GM bundles it with their new car, consumers are more inclined to give it a try. How long have the major cell providers been offering mobile hotspots? They were even giving them away if you bought a netbook. That went well on both front  :roll: . 

Avic411 has around 600-700 active posters in the past 2 months. Here on the NEX boards I would estimate there are around ~40 active posters (tops) in that time frame. We here are a fraction of a fraction of a small percentage of consumers. 

General Motors is. They're putting hotspots in most of their 2015 cars.

Having one come pre-installed in your vehicle vs going out and buying one is a bit different though. 

Yeah... it's probably just wireless capability added to their OnStar system... and you'll probably have to subscribe through their service.

• 1 month later...

I guess I have a more pluralistic definition of a network. To me, one phone connected via Bluetooth or cable to one HU is not really a network. If it is, then it's a very limited one.

For someone who has been working in technology since the early 80's, maybe I am out of touch with current definitions. :)

You also have to take into account that you can share data to the nex from you're smart phone.