AVIC411.com

Android on NEX Units

So I'm thinking of switching from the iPhone to a Galaxy S5...  At this point I'm giving up on Carplay and I'd like a bigger screen, so I'm thinking of giving it a shot before the iPhone 6 comes out.. 

Has anyone here tried a Galaxy S5 on their NEX unit?

Does app mode require the display of the phone to remain on like the iPhone?

Has anyone here used both the iPhone and Android and prefer the appmode experience of one over the other?

One thing I'm confused on is the Mirrorlink capability.. If your phone supports mirrorlink does that mean you don't need the android adapter to do appmode?

-Keith

Does app mode require the display of the phone to remain on like the iPhone?

Has anyone here used both the iPhone and Android and prefer the appmode experience of one over the other?

One thing I'm confused on is the Mirrorlink capability.. If your phone supports mirrorlink does that mean you don't need the android adapter to do appmode?

-Keith

Android is way better you can run any apps u want, iphone u cannot only run pioneer app and build in  in-apps. the Mirrorlink i cant seem to get it to work, only app mode is more than enough

I have a Galaxy 5 and the 8000nex and it works great.  You do have to have the Samsung MHL adapter.  The pioneer one does not work.  Yes, it does require the screen on when connected.

I wonder what I'm doing wrong, then. I can fire up the AppRadio app on my phone, hit the "Apps" button on the 8000, and it shows the phone's screen on the HU. What I can't do, though, is bring up any apps. I know that I have at least one that's compatible. I did notice that BT is only connected to phone audio (according to the phone) and not SPP, so perhaps that's it. 

I have a Galaxy 5 and the 8000nex and it works great. You do have to have the Samsung MHL adapter. The pioneer one does not work. Yes, it does require the screen on when connected.

I am so tempted to get the galaxy 5, i have iphone 5s, and am up for upgrade. Really tired of what i consider Apple Arrogance, i was android user up until i changed and got iphone 4s. How do you guys like the galaxy 5?

I picked the S5 over the Note because the latter is too darn big for my tastes. If I need more screen real estate, I use my tablet; the S5 is big enough for me to do everything that I do on my phone (e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, texting, etc.).

I'd recommend going to a place that has both and putting them through the paces. See which one works best in your hands, and how they feel in your pocket.

I picked the S5 over the Note because the latter is too darn big for my tastes. If I need more screen real estate, I use my tablet; the S5 is big enough for me to do everything that I do on my phone (e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, texting, etc.).

I'd recommend going to a place that has both and putting them through the paces. See which one works best in your hands, and how they feel in your pocket.

today i did just that. Note is ok, but too big and 150.00 more in price, slower cpu. Best Buy has galaxy 5 for 100.00 off, makes it 99.00 compared to Sprint price of 199.00. Note 3 is 249.00 at sprint and 349.00 at Best Buy. I am going with galaxy 5, and have already ordered the samsung extreme 64gb micro usb drive, made for the galaxy. It is superfast and reviews are all 5 star. They both will take up to 128 gb, but they are 100.00 more. So for 159.00 i get galaxy 5, 64gb . 40.00 less than just the galaxy 5 by itself from Sprint. leaves the other 40 towards the mhl samsung kit. 

Yep, that's a good deal. We switched from Sprint to Verizon last month and got two S5s at Costco for $99 each. Plus, we got the SquareTrade warranties (also $99 each) at the same time; I could've gotten the warranty slightly cheaper by going to ST directly, but the deductible is only $50 (as opposed to $75) if you buy it through Costco.

I didn't even realize that the Note has a slower CPU.

Yep, that's a good deal. We switched from Sprint to Verizon last month and got two S5s at Costco for $99 each. Plus, we got the SquareTrade warranties (also $99 each) at the same time; I could've gotten the warranty slightly cheaper by going to ST directly, but the deductible is only $50 (as opposed to $75) if you buy it through Costco.

I didn't even realize that the Note has a slower CPU.

not that much slower, 2.3 ghz for note 3, 2.5 ghz for galaxy s5

i have the Sony Xperia Z1C and used my standard usb-phone cable to hook it up with one of the two usb connections on the unit (think i used usb1. they say usb1 is for iphone and usb2 is for android/media storage dunno if this it the case). Some pops'n clicks on the phone and unitscreen and mirrorlink worked. kinda sluggish thou'. Don't know if it was working as it should, didn't test it that much. But it mirrored my phonescreen and touch and starting apps worked.

i have the Sony Xperia Z1C and used my standard usb-phone cable to hook it up with one of the two usb connections on the unit (think i used usb1. they say usb1 is for iphone and usb2 is for android/media storage dunno if this it the case). Some pops'n clicks on the phone and unitscreen and mirrorlink worked. kinda sluggish thou'. Don't know if it was working as it should, didn't test it that much. But it mirrored my phonescreen and touch and starting apps worked.

Most of the recent Sony smartphones support MirrorLink. HTC does as well. Unfortunately, Nexus 5 does not, which is what i have.

How does Mirrorlink work exactly? Does it require supported apps, like Appradio, or does it just give you a mirrored display that lets you control whatever you want? I know you can achieve that with an MHL cable and a rooted android phone, but I like that Mirrorlink runs off of just a usb cable like Carplay does. 

Edit: Found a video of Mirrorlink running on a brand new HTC phone. Is this how slow MirroLink runs? That demo was awful.