AVIC411.com

AppRadio 3 v. 4000NEX

I called Crutchfield yesterday to ask about these units and the guy I was talking with was trying to point me toward top JVC model out there as it provides a more seamless, straight mirrored integration of my android phone and the HU as compared to the Pioneer models. That all sounds good, but looking at the phones supported by that mode... the future isn't all that rosy. However, as I understand it, there is no similar mirroring capabilities on either the 4000 or the AR3 unless ARU is involved. Correct?

Do you want to simply mirror your phone or do you want to control standard phone apps from the head unit touch screen?

If I liked the app in question, I'd use it.  I hate the idea of using some half baked app simply because its authors were able to get a sweetheart deal with Pioneer.   Also using some of my experiences with Smart TV's, these apps that are cooked into a unit like this never keep pace with what the android app morphs into over its lifecycle. It's been my experience that the less I have to rely upon an app baked in, and rather on version of the app most users are working with, the better the app should be.  I'm certainly not opposed to making changes, though I don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee for a Nav app.

If I liked the app in question, I'd use it.  I hate the idea of using some half baked app simply because its authors were able to get a sweetheart deal with Pioneer.   Also using some of my experiences with Smart TV's, these apps that are cooked into a unit like this never keep pace with what the android app morphs into over its lifecycle. It's been my experience that the less I have to rely upon an app baked in, and rather on version of the app most users are working with, the better the app should be.  I'm certainly not opposed to making changes, though I don't like the idea of paying a monthly fee for a Nav app.

Ok, what you're saying is the case with the pioneer app on both units and the aha app on the 4000. However all other apps are powered by the phone and are kept up to date because they are just the phone apps with a little tweaking projected onto the car display.

Appradio works by sending a video and audio feed usually through hdmi from your phone and then transmit back to the phone touch responses to allow you to control apps from your phone on your radio. Not car apps on your radio getting Internet from your Phone. So the waze app is the waze app. Make sense?

Ok, what you're saying is the case with the pioneer app on both units and the aha app on the 4000. However all other apps are powered by the phone and are kept up to date because they are just the phone apps with a little tweaking projected onto the car display.

Appradio works by sending a video and audio feed usually through hdmi from your phone and then transmit back to the phone touch responses to allow you to control apps from your phone on your radio. Not car apps on your radio getting Internet from your Phone. So the waze app is the waze app. Make sense?

I follow you on the second part, but what do you mean by the Pioneer app and the aha app on the 4000?

Sorry I meant the pandora app. Dictionary slip on my part. The NEX 4000 also has an aha music app just like the built in pandora app. These two apps work just like how they do in other cars. You get basic controls and the head unit is the one actually doing the heavy lifting. On the Appradio they only did this with pandora.

I don't have any experience with AppRadio HU, but i own a 4000NEX and don't regret it. I'm adding the Nav unit (u260) next week to it. So, as expected, it should be a complete HU.  In regards to Android phones, Android AUTO is coming up soon in parallel to Apple carplay.  And I'm hoping this will be the same compatibility as using the iPhone.