AVIC411.com

AppRadio / Carplay Not For iOS8

Anytime an operating system update is released, many software developers will say it is not supported by their software.  This does not necessarily mean it won't work.  It just means the developer hasn't completed sufficient testing for them to be satisfied that their software will play nice with the new OS.  It means if you upgrade to iOS 8 and have a problem, Pioneer might not be able to help you until they've had time to evaluate the two together. 

Yes, Apple releases beta versions of their software to developers.  Yes, Pioneer is one of those developers (we know this because they have apps available on the App Store).  It is extremely likely that Pioneer has been testing their apps with iOS 8.  Until iOS 8 is officially released by Apple, changes can be made that could inadvertently "break" various apps.  Pioneer is just letting you know not to count on their apps working reliably until they've been able to make any necessary updates.

But it hasn't been released yet at all and tomorrow iOS 8 is rumored to be released. At the very least, the GM will be available to devs. Yes, I know Ferrari has a car out and yes Carplay will work on iOS 7.1 but any further updates to the app will be in iOS 8. 

Apples big event is tomorrow and we are seeing a flurry of announcements today. Fingers crossed for tomorrow or very near future. 

What makes you think this includes Carplay in any fashion? The link specifically calls out App Radio. I think a big part of the hold up is iOS 8, and it will be released with full iOS 8 compatibility due to timing IMO.

Exactly. CarPlay is fully functional in iOS 8 based on the notes from apple about the betas. Pioneer's support of Carplay should only hing on whether or not you have a phone that can do Carplay running a new enough version of the OS.

Spankey, I highly doubt iOS8 will be released today, historically it is released two Wednesdays after the announcement, which means the 17th. This is to give developers time to finalize software tweaks/fixes with the final gold master of iOS.

The phone will probably go on sale the 19th, again, from historical accounts. So I figure by the end of the month we will have all new Appradio complaints stemming from a resized screen on iPhone 6's and pioneer application bugs in relation to iOS 8! If Pioneer somehow makes this all work within a couple of months of release you will KNOW they have been working closer with Apple than in the past. That would be a big improvement from previous iOS debuts where glitches have persisted for up to a half year later.  More "wait and see" is all I can say.