AVIC411.com

CarPlay Update from carstereochick.com

Here is the way I see it, and why Apple is likely holding off until iOS 8... Carplay is baked into iOS. CarPlay can only be updated when the iPhone's iOS is updated. Apple has probably fixed some bugs and made improvements in the iOS 8 version of CarPlay. Since there were already delays, they probably want to just release the latest iOS 8 version of CarPlay to the masses, rather than the iOS 7.1 version which was released months ago. I agree with the sentiment that if Pioneer does not release CarPlay alongside iOS 8 (or shortly there after), then there are some serious issues.

Here is the way I see it, and why Apple is likely holding off until iOS 8... Carplay is baked into iOS. CarPlay can only be updated when the iPhone's iOS is updated. Apple has probably fixed some bugs and made improvements in the iOS 8 version of CarPlay. Since there were already delays, they probably want to just release the latest iOS 8 version of CarPlay to the masses, rather than the iOS 7.1 version which was released months ago. I agree with the sentiment that if Pioneer does not release CarPlay alongside iOS 8 (or shortly there after), then there are some serious issues.

Except it's been released to Ferrari.

I don't understand how it seems reasonable that Apple would wait until the release of iOS 8. CarPlay is designed to work with iOS 7.1.whatever, which is already out. Can you expand on why you feel it is reasonable that they would wait? I fully agree with your comment regarding Ferrari, I'm just curious to know your thinking on the iOS 8 piece.

1. I don't trust a word of what different pioneer "sources" have said for the different reasons for the delay anymore.

2. CarPlay will be seen by a majority of users when they buy cars that have OEM support for it which won't happen for years anyways. Apple has a much stronger incentive to make sure that any implementation from the manufacturers is done right over fast than they normally already do because car makers don't often update their software after they leave the factory, so if it comes out buggy from GM or Honda or anyone else that middleware will stay buggy for the life of the car. People don't buy new cars every year like cell phones. If carplay sucks on a camaro because GM made a buggy carplay middleware program carplay will forever suck in that camaro.

3. Aftermarket headunits like those from alpine and pioneer are the easiest way for reviewers to judge carplay. If pioneer made their carplay implementation as solid as they did Appradio the reviews would come back universally terrible and apple would have a black eye with the oems and getting them to adopt CarPlay.

4. Apple never promised summer or anything less than 2014 from the OEM manufacturers and soon for pioneer and alpine. They didn't even promise 2014 for pioneer and alpine. Any view of a delay for Apple CarPlay is pioneers fault for stating it would be ready in "weeks not months" back in may and originally listing "early summer" for a launch date.

As for Ferrari getting it first, I think we all expected that. But once that happened, Pioneer should have had it out there shortly after. As that hasn't happened, that seems to suggest even more strongly that Pioneer still hasn't gotten their programming right and Apple keeps sending them back to fix it.

Ferrari just released a couple of days ago.  Two weeks from now wouldn't be all that far away in the grand scheme of things.

It seems reasonable that Pioneer didn't have the update ready for an early release and as time went buy it made sense that Apple would wait until the release of iOS 8. I guess we'll see next week. After that, there really are no excuses. 

Why would Pioneer (or Apple) delay until iOS 8 is released when Carplay on the NEX may not even support iOS 8?

Based on my experience with AppRadio mode on the NEX, my bet is that Pioneer's Carplay implementation is being delayed due to showstopper bugs.

IOS 8 works fine. I've been using it since Tuesday. Do you think the firmware may include enhancements to iOS 8?

Here is another article...

http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/11/gms-connected-car-strategy-shifts-gears-will-use-apples-carplay-android-auto/

Note this sentence

"Apple is nearly ready to debut its Carplay service.."

That does not sound like Carplay has truly been unleashed onto the general public. We should stope the conspiracy theories for now and wait to see who is next to deploy Carplay. If it anothe car manufacturer is next out then we can point fingers at Pioneer.

That statement is not backed up by any proof. It does not say that he was in talk with Apple and they confirmed they are ready to release CarPlay.

They actually debuted CarPlay months ago. CarPlay might be a finished product as far as Apple is concerned. The actual app will, I imagine, be from Pioneer once they are ready to release it.

But then I could be wrong. :-)

Phil

Why would Pioneer (or Apple) delay until iOS 8 is released when Carplay on the NEX may not even support iOS 8?

Based on my experience with AppRadio mode on the NEX, my bet is that Pioneer's Carplay implementation is being delayed due to showstopper bugs.

You are misquoting the press release. The release says that AppRadio may not support iOS 8. It says nothing about CarPlay. AppRadio is Pioneer's app software. CarPlay is Apple's baby and Apple's software... It is baked into iOS and is actually run by the iPhone rather than the head unit. Pioneer simply has to interface with it.

As a current AppRadio 3 owner I have questions about switching to a NEX CarPlay system in the near future.

1) Will CarPlay and the ability to listen to audio only work while connected via lightening cable?  (does CarPlay "take over" so to speak like AppRadio does)   The reason I ask is, I use a battery case, and would rather not have to remove it, each time I get into my car.   I'm perfectly happy using the microUSB cable to change and having audio play via bluetooth.   In the past, this has been less than ideal for AppRadio.   Non-standard audio apps will play fine over bluetooth, but AppRadio ready apps go silent when not plugged into Lightning.  (Pandora, MixTrax etc)

2) Is there a real benefit to having a 2nd screen any more?  The new iPhone 6 Plus is plenty big on it's own, and you don't have to worry about a secondary interface getting in the way.

1u7wxcGl.jpg

As a current AppRadio 3 owner I have questions about switching to a NEX CarPlay system in the near future.

1) Will CarPlay and the ability to listen to audio only work while connected via lightening cable?  (does CarPlay "take over" so to speak like AppRadio does)   The reason I ask is, I use a battery case, and would rather not have to remove it, each time I get into my car.   I'm perfectly happy using the microUSB cable to change and having audio play via bluetooth.   In the past, this has been less than ideal for AppRadio.   Non-standard audio apps will play fine over bluetooth, but AppRadio ready apps go silent when not plugged into Lightning.  (Pandora, MixTrax etc)

2) Is there a real benefit to having a 2nd screen any more?  The new iPhone 6 Plus is plenty big on it's own, and you don't have to worry about a secondary interface getting in the way.

1u7wxcGl.jpg

To point 1. Carplay works over a USB connection. What does this mean? well you have to have your phone plugged in sure, but it isn't working off of a USB 3.0 connection, or a a custom lightning adapter that requires the use of all 8 pins like the Lightning Digital AV cable. It just needs USB. So in theory, as long as your Battery supports a full USB passthrough on it's microUSB port, it should work with carplay. We won't know for certain until we actually have the software update, but I don't see how logically it could require more. However, if your battery does not use a usb data passthrough you won't be able to use it with carplay. 

To point 2. Carplay is not just a system to allow you to have a bigger screen for your phone. To that yes the new iPhone 6+ not only is almost as big as the screen on your head unit, but also now runs in landscape mode for everything including the home screen. I have no doubt that other apps like spotify and beats will have updates allowing landscape view as well. However, what carplay offers is a vehicle specific interface that in theory will make it easier and safer for you to use your phone while in the car than if you just picked the phone up and used its touch screen. How good Carplay will be in its actual implementation remains to be seen.

Personally I would have liked it if apple gave us a Carplay mode for our phones as well that makes the icons easier to press and expands Siri's capabilities like carplay does based on the videos I've seen. Especially if they could put that in an iPad, then I would just buy a cheap radio with bluetooth and a used iPad mini and go nuts on my car. Alas, it is not the case.