AVIC411.com

Nex Traffic Map/radio

Is the traffic map in the NEX models the biggest piece of junk ever produced or are there some setting I'm missing? I have the 6000 and the traffic map never shows the correct traffic conditions. I see areas where the map reports a slowdown that isn't there and areas where there is a complete stop and the map shows nothing. This is on a major freeway in Houston TX and I know we have some of the most sophisticated traffic reporting in the nation.

Is there a refresh setting for the traffic updates? Am I supposed to see varying levels of congestion using a green to red scale? My display shows red or nothing. The traffic history is completely void of any detail regardless of the day or time.

I was hoping to use the traffic conditions on the Apple maps which always seems to be accurate. Since Carplay doesn't seem like it will ever be released I thought I'd drop back to the built in maps. But it seems they are pretty much worthless.

Is it me or is this feature a complete waste of time?

Seems to me to be more an indictment of TrueTraffic than anything.  Pioneer only reports the data that TrueTraffic supplies.  I had the same thoughts that you did concerning traffic data with my upgraded Z120 / traffic tuner; so I wasn't entirely surprised to see the same results on the 8000NEX since they both use TrueTraffic.

This topic is the ONLY thing that has me interested in AVICSync when/if it is released.  I hope its traffic data would be more real time than what TrueTraffic provides.

I've been routed poorly more often than not. Part of the reason I got the 8000nex was because the nav system that came with my new forester was awful. So far this one is beautiful and smooth... though the OEM forester head unit with the XM traffic actually routed better.

IMO nothing beats google maps for San Francisco traffic routing (or routing in general), so I could always mirror it from my iPhone. I'm also looking forward to trying out Apple Maps once Carplay launches, so hopefully that will have well implemented traffic routing. 

If the AVICSync internet traffic service ends up being good I will happily pay the monthly fee to use the beautiful nex map interface. 

• 1 month later...

I read somewhere (probably here) that the recent 1.06 update updated the color scheme on the traffic maps to provide more detail instead of red or nothing. I seem to recall checking the map once and did actually see an orange color. However with the 1.08 update it seems to be back to red or nothing. I even checked the switch for showing free flow traffic which I asume might be green in color. For the map display I selected color only and no icons but the icons are still present. I wonder if anyone at Pioneer actually tests this stuff. The traffic map is still unusable.

Apple maps shows 2 colors which is still pretty bad. What are the chances of Google maps being support in Carplay? So far it is the only decent traffic solution but I suppose I'm dreaming to think Apple will allow it in Carplay.

It's horrible. Makes me regret buying the 8000 to replace my z130. Currently on the drive home using the navi to gauge my arrival. The tells me I have one hour left with 15 miles left. With the usual Friday traffic I know and the Google maps I'm running in the background know I only have about 20 mins left. Pioneer needs to partner with someone else.

It's horrible. Makes me regret buying the 8000 to replace my z130. Currently on the drive home using the navi to gauge my arrival. The tells me I have one hour left with 15 miles left. With the usual Friday traffic I know and the Google maps I'm running in the background know I only have about 20 mins left. Pioneer needs to partner with someone else.

Yeah, that ETA forecast can be pretty horrible.  There have been a number of times that I looked at it, did the math in my head, and went, "Huh?!?"

Yeah, that ETA forecast can be pretty horrible.  There have been a number of times that I looked at it, did the math in my head, and went, "Huh?!?"

Agreed. Using Waze through AppRadio is the only useful routing option, though using it is a whole other set of headaches. Ahh the pains of being early adopters of new technologies :-)