AVIC411.com

Hi everyone,

I had an iPhone 4 when i installed my avic z130bt - worked great. I later upgraded to an iPhone 5 (64 GB) running on IOS 6, bought a 30 pin to lightning adaptor and works great again.

I recently bought an iPhone 6 (IOS 8 - 128 GB). I plugged it on to my receiver and got an error message! It posted "USB flash drive was disconnected for device protection. Do not connect this USB flash drive to the unit. To restart USB, restart the unit."

I looked up the operations manual and found that it can be one of two things:

1. the cable is bad

2. the connected usb storage device consumes more than 1A.

The cable isn't bad since the unit still works with my old iPhones. The plug that came with the iPhone mentions that it has a max capacity of 1A so i'm not sure if the issue could be more than what was specified in the manual (i.e. is it an iOS 8 issue, or the unit can't read Higher capacity storage devices greater than 64 gb (just like some sd card readers)?.

Does anybody here have a similar experience with an error message like this and would have a solution? If it's an amperage issue, is there a work around it? I've noticed on other forums in here that when they used their new iPhone 6 with the NEX units it works fine. 

Thanks in advance for the help.

post-120560-0-76302200-1411285479_thumb.jpg

post-120560-0-36322800-1411287012_thumb.jpg

Hi I have the same issue. I had an iPhone 4s which i upgraded to iOS 8 and it still worked fine. I just upgraded to the iPhone 6 plus 128G and i am getting your error message so i figured it must be the iPhone 6 plus has a larger storage capacity than accepted. i need a work around. I am calling pioneer to see if there is anything. Pioneer had me go to setting and reset to factory settings. That worked for me. I just wish i could figure out how to get video to work. I will figure it out. I saw the video for a split second from netflix. That  teased me to think i could possibly get it to work. 

revision: After having my iPhone 6 plus for about 2 months. I still can't get video to work. I also noticed that the error message issue wasn't resolved. I also noticed that when my iPhone 6 plus is charged about 90% it works it charges and doesn't give me that error message. I have not clue whats wrong. I think it needs a software update. i hope pioneer releases a fix for it. 

thanks for the post ninusc92. i was thinking of trying out a 64gb iPhone 6 and if it works then i will return my 128gb and trade for the 64gb. Based on your experience, this error can happen also with a 64 gb iPhone 6 so i will not be trading in my iPhone.

one thing i noticed though. when my iPhone was charged around 85%-100% this USB error on the dash disappears and my phone can link up with the dash unit. when my phone battery wasn't charged very much, i get this USB error. i guess the phone is programmed to draw up more power to charge faster when the battery level is low (thus probably exceeding the 1A limit set by the dash unit). i can't confirm that's true - it's just my observation. 

ironically, it's when my iPhone's battery is low is when it's necessary for me to plug into my dash unit to charge. i can live with streaming my music/phone calls via bluetooth but i need to connect my iPhone to the dash unit to charge it when i travel. 

Maybe it's time to start saving up to upgrade the dash unit and get one with apple carplay. 

thanks for the post ninusc92. i was thinking of trying out a 64gb iPhone 6 and if it works then i will return my 128gb and trade for the 64gb. Based on your experience, this error can happen also with a 64 gb iPhone 6 so i will not be trading in my iPhone.

one thing i noticed though. when my iPhone was charged around 85%-100% this USB error on the dash disappears and my phone can link up with the dash unit. when my phone battery wasn't charged very much, i get this USB error. i guess the phone is programmed to draw up more power to charge faster when the battery level is low (thus probably exceeding the 1A limit set by the dash unit). i can't confirm that's true - it's just my observation. 

ironically, it's when my iPhone's battery is low is when it's necessary for me to plug into my dash unit to charge. i can live with streaming my music/phone calls via bluetooth but i need to connect my iPhone to the dash unit to charge it when i travel. 

Maybe it's time to start saving up to upgrade the dash unit and get one with apple carplay. 

I just logged on to post this exact same thing. Mine works fine on full charge, but last night is when I hadn't charged it all day and went to plug it in only to receive the error. Hopefully there's a fix somewhere along the line or at least an added configuration for users to adjust or remove the increased current past xx% setting.

As a short-term fix to your troubles (well, mine too), why not invest in a USB car charger and use a USB lightning cable to charge your phone while you stream audio/calls?

Hey guys. I have an iPhone 6 128gb with a z130bt...I was having the same issue as you guys. But I think I found the fix. The issue astually go e back to syncing and the new itunes. You you delete all your movies, tv shows, and music. And select to manually add videos and music to iPhone. Then drag and drop the songs and or playlists.. After this just do tv shows next, then movies. I guess the phone has difficulty communicating to other devices when it syncs everything at once. It basically makes the phone read like an unreadable flash drive. So erase all media and manually add music to iPhone then plug it in the n. Should work

Hi everyone,

I had an iPhone 4 when i installed my avic z130bt - worked great. I later upgraded to an iPhone 5 (64 GB) running on IOS 6, bought a 30 pin to lightning adaptor and works great again.

I recently bought an iPhone 6 (IOS 8 - 128 GB). I plugged it on to my receiver and got an error message! It posted "USB flash drive was disconnected for device protection. Do not connect this USB flash drive to the unit. To restart USB, restart the unit."

I looked up the operations manual and found that it can be one of two things:

1. the cable is bad

2. the connected usb storage device consumes more than 1A.

The cable isn't bad since the unit still works with my old iPhones. The plug that came with the iPhone mentions that it has a max capacity of 1A so i'm not sure if the issue could be more than what was specified in the manual (i.e. is it an iOS 8 issue, or the unit can't read Higher capacity storage devices greater than 64 gb (just like some sd card readers)?.

Does anybody here have a similar experience with an error message like this and would have a solution? If it's an amperage issue, is there a work around it? I've noticed on other forums in here that when they used their new iPhone 6 with the NEX units it works fine. 

Thanks in advance for the help.

What firmware are you running on your Z130BT? I have the iPhone 6+ 128GB with IOS 8.0.2 with firmware 5.0 on the Z130BT and have not seen this issue yet. I will try and run the battery down and see what happens.

Umm, no it's up to 5.0 and for the Z140 it is 5.1 which has shown to work by others on this forum on the Z130BT. 5.1 is specifically for the iPhone with lightning cable but also allows AppRadio with the correct cables but requires an app to play music which is a big downside for me and I've stopped at 5.0.

Read the forum under Hacks/Mods and you will find a thread that is more than 14 pages so far about upgrading and includes the link to download 5.0 along with the modded file needed for a Z130BT. I'm not sure if it requires 4.0 or not to apply this firmware. Pioneer provides this upgrade through Navteq for some $$$, last year to 4.0 and this year to 5.0.

Warning: with 4.0 you will lose VR for navigation!!!!!