AVIC411.com

AppRadio 4 with Carplay leaks

Duplicate post to one I made on the AppRadio section of the forum. 

http://www.appradioworld.com/2014/09/breaking-is-sph-da120-next-generation.html

It's just a 6000NEX without nav and a capacitive display and by the looks of things no disk drive. Pioneer moved back to the smaller display for these things for some reason. 

I have a 4000NEX and after Pioneer has handled the whole Carplay mess I have no interest in this product. 

Regardless, just letting the forum know. 

I actually do wonder why they took it down. Appradioworld isn't affiliated with Pioneer at all. Maybe they got some info that wasn't accurate?

Maybe the specifics, maybe, but the unit seems like it's real. If you do a google search the DA120 was a unit on the Pioneer EU website right before the story broke. the link doesn't work anymore, but it used to, and it was a Pioneer link. 

Maybe the specifics, maybe, but the unit seems like it's real. If you do a google search the DA120 was a unit on the Pioneer EU website right before the story broke. the link doesn't work anymore, but it used to, and it was a Pioneer link. 

Doesn't surprise me. Someone goofed up pretty big here, and I bet Pioneer EU jumped the gun on this too early. But with Winter around the corner, I'd be more surprised if they weren't prepping for the launch of this thing. I just wonder how many people lost their jobs over this one.

I'm sure that I can't be the only one WISHING PIONEER WOULD FINISH / FIX THEIR EXISTING MODELS BEFORE STARTING TO RELEASE NEW ONES!!!

I understand the sentiment, but the logic is flawed. Should Pioneer's hardware engineers sit idle while the software guys do their work? Hell no. This is something that the hardware engineers have likely been churning on since probably CES or earlier. Usually when one product is done, the project to produce the next is immediately spun up. I'd actually be more worried if they weren't working on this and getting close to launch, to be honest. Since the early images share a lot in common with the NEX UI, I suspect they are actually running the same software (more or less). 

There are good reasons why companies don't give out details on future products, and your reaction is sadly one of them. Customers don't usually understand how the sausage is made, so if you show them working prototypes (that may still be months/years out), they don't get it and wind up with the wrong impression. Press for a launch is worked out months in advance as well, so a leak of that is incredibly damaging. That's what happened here. I've been involved with projects that have had damaging leaks, and it is never fun to see the fallout of them.

Doesn't surprise me. Someone goofed up pretty big here, and I bet Pioneer EU jumped the gun on this too early. But with Winter around the corner, I'd be more surprised if they weren't prepping for the launch of this thing. I just wonder how many people lost their jobs over this one.

I understand the sentiment, but the logic is flawed. Should Pioneer's hardware engineers sit idle while the software guys do their work? Hell no. This is something that the hardware engineers have likely been churning on since probably CES or earlier. Usually when one product is done, the project to produce the next is immediately spun up. I'd actually be more worried if they weren't working on this and getting close to launch, to be honest. Since the early images share a lot in common with the NEX UI, I suspect they are actually running the same software (more or less). 

There are good reasons why companies don't give out details on future products, and your reaction is sadly one of them. Customers don't usually understand how the sausage is made, so if you show them working prototypes (that may still be months/years out), they don't get it and wind up with the wrong impression. Press for a launch is worked out months in advance as well, so a leak of that is incredibly damaging. That's what happened here. I've been involved with projects that have had damaging leaks, and it is never fun to see the fallout of them.

This product could have launched exactly on time and I still would have no interest in it after how Pioneer has treated its consumers that bought into the "summer" release date. I'm too lazy to change out the NEX radio as long as it will eventually get carplay, but I tell you, I have two cars. Car number 2 is already getting whatever 3rd party solution with a good review that has carplay already installed in the system that isn't from Pioneer, and if Pioneer doesn't get their shit together before this radio from Alpine, or whoever else comes out, Car number 1 will get it as well, and the NEX will go on Ebay. 

Regardless, I am never giving my money to any items car or otherwise that are made by Pioneer. 

This product could have launched exactly on time and I still would have no interest in it after how Pioneer has treated its consumers that bought into the "summer" release date. I'm too lazy to change out the NEX radio as long as it will eventually get carplay, but I tell you, I have two cars. Car number 2 is already getting whatever 3rd party solution with a good review that has carplay already installed in the system that isn't from Pioneer, and if Pioneer doesn't get their shit together before this radio from Alpine, or whoever else comes out, Car number 1 will get it as well, and the NEX will go on Ebay. 

Regardless, I am never giving my money to any items car or otherwise that are made by Pioneer. 

Which is fair to say. A more reasonable response than the poster I was quoting, but not really relevant to my point. It's one thing to make a choice based on a company's behavior. It is another to expect a bunch of hardware guys to either sit idle, or somehow be retrained to tackle software problems. Companies don't sit still, and nor should they. Especially if they've screwed up. It becomes even more important to keep pushing forward, making it right, and rebuilding trust in the years afterwards.

It is interesting that it looks like they were holding back the AppRadio 4 announcement until they had the CarPlay firmware ready for the NEX units. Smart move, IMO, but ultimately undermined by the leak. It is possible they were holding it back specifically because they knew it wouldn't go over well if they announced it ahead of the firmware being available.