AVIC411.com

AppleTV for completely wireless appradio usage?

Now that the iPhone can mirror without wifi to the AppleTV I'm wondering if I should stick that in my car so I can have wireless mirroring.

My deck (AVH-X8500BHS) would still detect a HDMI connection

The deck will still detect the bluetooth connection from the iPhone

I'd still be stuck having the only touch enabled apps being AppRadio apps but at least I would have the ability to use it completely wirelessly.  I think I'll try this tomorrow and report back.

Now that the iPhone can mirror without wifi to the AppleTV I'm wondering if I should stick that in my car so I can have wireless mirroring.

My deck (AVH-X8500BHS) would still detect a HDMI connection

The deck will still detect the bluetooth connection from the iPhone

I'd still be stuck having the only touch enabled apps being AppRadio apps but at least I would have the ability to use it completely wirelessly.  I think I'll try this tomorrow and report back.

My only question for you would be why? The display needs to be on for mirroring to operate, and AppRadio Mode already makes my phone pretty warm. The battery drain would most likely be horrendous. If it works please let us know, because as a mere science experiment alone, this sounds fun, but I don't see the advantage. As soon as I have to plug in my iPhone to charge it while using this, all advantages of this system would be lost. 

Since the NEX's display is up to 800 x 480, that's basically a little above 480p (which is 720x480).  With that being said, don't expect stellar video quality.  You'd probably want to set your resolution for the AppleTV to 480p, but I can't help but wonder if there is a way to do a custom resolution....