AVIC411.com

CarPlay !!! (Reviews, ...)

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so if I don't give a crap about AppRadio then I should take out my VGA/Lightning adapter from USB1 and replace it with a straight USB Lighting cable only and AppRadio be damned? AppRadio looked cool but it was so annoying as every time I wanted to use an app (Waze for example), I couldn't play music (Bluetooth audio, Sirius, CD or even radio...)

I have an old ipod (30 pin) which is still installed in USB2, maybe that should go away as well, yes? I'd like to have it there just in case. I use the iphone really for everything. The old ipod was just there to have all my music...which is all pretty much on my iphone. Oh well.

Advice??

My Digital AV Adapter is on the end of the HDMI cable coming from the head unit. I keep it tucked under the passenger seat when it isnt being used (which is most of the time for me). My Lightning cable is plugged into USB1. If I want AppRadio, I just plug the Lightning end of the Lightning cable into the Digital AV Adapter and change my connection type on the unit.

My Digital AV Adapter is on the end of the HDMI cable coming from the head unit. I keep it tucked under the passenger seat when it isnt being used (which is most of the time for me). My Lightning cable is plugged into USB1. If I want AppRadio, I just plug the Lightning end of the Lightning cable into the Digital AV Adapter and change my connection type on the unit.

Forgot to mention I have a 5000 which means no HDMI. So I'm planning this: USB1- lighting cable direct to iphone. USB2: 30 pin cable direct to ipod. Don;t really care about AppRadio any more. Sound good?

OR will the current VGA/Lighting cable work fine as long as I select the correct "type" (Digital A/V adapter) and not worry about switching back and forth? 

Sorry for confusion

Here is the 1.06 (CarPlay) update file for the 8000NEX ONLY!!!  DO NOT use it with any other model of NEX!!!  READ and FOLLOW the instructions (also linked below).  I don't want to be held responsible for anyone bricking their units!

Also, I ask that no one on this forum shares the link... let's keep it to this community of enthusiests.  I don't want my Dropbox account being shut down due to high traffic! :-)

Mods, if posting this link violates any forum polices, let me know and I will remove it.

Update Letter:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nc3pt3q7gvikm66/CarPlay%20FW%20Update%20Letter%20Final_8000NEX.pdf?dl=0

Update Instructions:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uch67fpfzvjr9ja/CarPlay%20FW%20Update%20Instructions%20Final_8000NEX.pdf?dl=0

User Manual CarPlay addendum:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r0xame574g0ua0n/User%20Manual%20Addendum%20for%20Apple%20CarPlay.pdf?dl=0

Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX FW 1.06 (CarPlay):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uic60k27g5nru2y/AVIC-8000NEX_UC_FW-Update_v1.06.zip?dl=0

Thanks! Can I use the SD port?  I really don't want to have to pull the unit.

Spotify worked well once I logged in. Apparently there is no good way for apps to report errors like that to the user, so you just get no content.

Music was fine. Maps was a little twitchy, but it did notice that I was very likely heading to work and offer up a route. I wonder if it will integrate with the calendar in the same way. 

Podcasts though, egad. Apple, you need to actually let the dev that owns this app fix some bugs. I had to force quit the app just to get it to play anything. I'll be happy when someone like Instacast is allowed to integrate.

Thanks! Can I use the SD port? I really don't want to have to pull the unit.

Got any tips on pulling the unit out safely? I'm 99% sure my installers connected my lightningbolt cable to the USB 2 port on my 8000. I won't be able to bring the car in to the audio shop for atleast a week due to my work schedule.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: Dropbox has shutdown the links due to excessive traffic...Sorry!

Here is the 1.06 (CarPlay) update file for the 8000NEX ONLY!!! DO NOT use it with any other model of NEX!!! READ and FOLLOW the instructions (also linked below). I don't want to be held responsible for anyone bricking their units!

Also, I ask that no one on this forum shares the link... let's keep it to this community of enthusiests. I don't want my Dropbox account being shut down due to high traffic! :-)

Mods, if posting this link violates any forum polices, let me know and I will remove it.

UPDATE: Dropbox has shutdown the links due to excessive traffic... Sorry!

Sorry guys... Dropbox has shut down my 8000NEX update links due to excessive traffic!  If someone has a personal ftp server, that would be the best way to share them.

Sorry guys... Dropbox has shut down my 8000NEX update links due to excessive traffic!  If someone has a personal ftp server, that would be the best way to share them.

Mine is still running, shows 9 minutes left.

Yes

Cool

Yes... CarPlay will not work if connected using the Digital AV Adapter. The Lightning cable must be plugged directly in to USB1.

Bummer guess I'm pulling the HU anyway.

Got any tips on pulling the unit out safely? I'm 99% sure my installers connected my lightningbolt cable to the USB 2 port on my 8000. I won't be able to bring the car in to the audio shop for atleast a week due to my work schedule.

Thoughts?

Mine is in an e53 BMW X5 It is not horribly hard, removal depends on the car it's in.

Thoughts?

There should be a set of removal keys in the box it came in.