AVIC411.com

CarPlay !!! (Reviews, ...)

All calls are handled over BT.

When the iPhone is connected via the lightning cable, there is no Bluetooth connection between the NEX and the iPhone.  Pioneer actually states that the Bluetooth connection will be terminated when the iPhone is connected via the lightning cable in their User Manual Addendum for Apple Carplay (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/User%20Manual%20Addendum%20for%20Apple%20CarPlay.pdf).

NexCarPlayBT_zpsd8aff922.jpg

When I first used CarPlay for a phone call it sounded really low.  I disconnected my iPhone from the lightning cable and then the call sounded better.  You can see the bluetooth icon connect and disconnect depending on if you are connected to the NEX with the lightning cable or not.  The next day the call sounded better.  I'm not sure if it was due to rebooting my iPhone or updating my 5S to iOS 8.02.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All calls are handled over BT.

No, they are not.

In CarPlay mode it is over USB. Bluetooth can be completely disabled on the iPhone and it will still make a call. Its pretty easy to test out, just turn off your bluetooth and see if you can still make a call with only USB. Works perfectly fine on my NEX8000 and iPhone 6+ with bluetooth off.

I find Call sound quality to be satisfactory via CarPlay, I've not noticed any issues.

I've not made a final decision on Navigation via Apple Maps. Only complaint is Siri leaves much left to desire, yet handy when I comply with her imperfect search contexts.

Overall, I am underwhelmed by CarPlay, but I did not purchase my 8000 because of it. Still, I find myself using it, so that says something!

I too find the call sound quality to be good for placing most calls, though I do notice the degradation when I am in a HD Voice phone call.

I also find that Siri is not as accurate using CarPlay vs using Siri Eyes Free in Bluetooth. I think this is directly contributed to the quality of the voice signal over USB vs Bluetooth.

Sounds like I'm not the only one here that bought the NEX for Carplay, waited with anticipation for the firmware update, updated, and then disabled Carplay. Ohh well.

The best navigation that I've gotten is Waze through Appradio, but it seems to only work when it wants to work. Seriously it's about 50/50 whether it chooses to connect or not each time. 

If anyone with an iPhone and AVIC-5000NEX is interested, happy to do a test. I call your iPhone through my CarPlay. You call my iPhone through your CarPlay. This has me concerned, call quality is very important. If CarPlay kills call quality, I may need to disconnect when making calls, and reconnect when through. Interested in hearing the quality issue first hand.

I'll tell you this, if you have HD Voice, its crystal clear regardless of which way you connect. If you are not familiar with HD Voice, try using Facetime in Audio only mode, its that clear, and for some reason it is not bothered by the type of connection like standard voice is. I think there is a bit of tuning that can be done to improve this situation.