AVIC411.com

CarPlay !!! (Reviews, ...)

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can still use your phone's interface while CarPlay is active!!! The CarPlay logo only pops up for a few seconds when it is initially loaded, but it quickly disappears, revealing full access to your phone. I was under the impression that the phone itself wouldn't be usable when CarPlay is active, but I'm happy to be wrong!

For people who are using it, when you play music, does it show the album art in the background?

Album art is there, but it is very dim, and it fills the whole screen... In fact it crops the tops and bottom of the album art. Not real happy with this solution... I prefer the native NEX USB music player presentation.

EDIT: When I say dim, I mean REALLY dim! I don't think a person could see it on a bright day. On the recent videos, artwork was probably there, but was just too dim to pick up on camera.

The good news is that music playing in the CarPlay Music app is ALSO playing in the NEX USB music app simultaneously, and switching between the two is extremely fast and easy. Just tap the physical "Home" button, and tap the "Now Playing" icon on the NEX home screen. Once you do this, you can tap the physical "Mode" button to quickly switch between the two!

More notes...

-No matter where you are in the NEX's interface, activating Siri takes you to CarPlay's interface. CarPlay then handles calls, texts, etc.

-My steering wheel buttons for answer and end calls no longer work. I have a Maestro SW. I'll call iDataLink and see if there is a software update. (UPDATE: the buttons are working now)

-AppRadio is no where to be found, either on the home screen or the menu. It appears CarPlay totally replaced AppRadio for iPhone users. This will be good news for some and bad news for others. (UPDATE: AppRadio WORKS!! Don't forget to set the connection type to Digital AV Adapter ;-) )

UPDATE: I also tried AppRadio mode with the HDMI/Lightning connector. Neither CarPlay nor AppRadio work with the HDMI/Lightning Connector.

UPDATE 2: CarPlay only replaces the built in Bluetooth phone interface when the phone is plugged in to the Lightning cable. This should be obvious, since CarPlay requires the Lightning cable to work, but I wanted to make sure. Steering wheel answer and end buttons work fine for regular Bluetooth calling. This makes me think that since CarPlay is processed by the phone instead of the NEX, the steering wheel answer and end buttons can not interface with CarPlay... That would be a bummer.

UPDATE 3: Under Smartphone settings, you can enable and disable CarPlay. AppRadio is listed as an available feature. I tried disabling CarPlay to see if it would allow me to use AppRadio. It didn't. I'd love to hear if anyone else is able to use AppRadio with their iPhone post-update.

UPDATE 4: The steering wheel answer and end buttons are now working! Don't know what I did to fix them!

UPDATE 5: AppRadio WORKS!! Don't forget to set the connection type to Digital AV Adapter ;-)

Guys, how does this work if using Pandora as your music source? Can you select Pandora from the head unit then go into Car Play and use maps with no interruption or interference?

Yes, Pandora plays while in CarPlay. In fact, you can even tap the "Now Playing" icon in CarPlay and it shows song info and album art, and allows basic play/pause/next track functionality of Pandora in CarPlay. SiriusXM does NOT show up here. I'm guessing the source has to be coming from the iPhone, but I haven't tried a CD or USB/SD music.

UPDATE: My SiriusXM iPhone app also plays through the "Now Playing" mode in CarPlay. I'm guessing "Now Playing" mirrors whatever is playing on the iPhone, and provides controls when available.

<p>

I was able to download the firmware. Slow but I got it.

"UPDATE: I also tried AppRadio mode with the HDMI/Lightning connector. Neither CarPlay nor AppRadio work with the HDMI/Lightning Connector."

So AppRadio is broken?

AppRadio seems broken to me... Not sure if this is intentional or a bug, but I can't imagine Pioneer allowing such a bug to slip through. My guess is that it is intentional, possibly due to technical (or contractual) limitations related to implementing CarPlay.