AVIC411.com

AppRadio 4 with CarPlay just announced - finally...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think after all the messing Pioneer do I'd go with an Alpine unit anyday once the price is comparable.

They messed up with their own technology (App Radio) which is already a messed up nightmare. If they can keep away from it and invest in Car Play it may end up better in the end.

And they messed up up by using a 6.2" screen on the AR4. That was a bad move in my opinion. To set them apart, they should have looked into cramming something larger than 7" if possible, maybe by using a bezel-free screen, but that may be too costly so I would have been happy with a 7".  Luckily the Alpine will be 7", but it will also not have bluetooth, so you must have an iPhone with lightning and iOS8 to work. That could be trouble for multiple drivers with different phone models. 

And they messed up up by using a 6.2" screen on the AR4. That was a bad move in my opinion. To set them apart, they should have looked into cramming something larger than 7" if possible, maybe by using a bezel-free screen, but that may be too costly so I would have been happy with a 7".  Luckily the Alpine will be 7", but it will also not have bluetooth, so you must have an iPhone with lightning and iOS8 to work. That could be trouble for multiple drivers with different phone models.

I still have to see it to figure out if the 0.8" less is a real disaster, but they probably had to cut somewhere to add new features such as the BT functionality you're talking about. Other than that, someone can invest a bit more and get a 7000NEX that is 7" and have built in GPS/navigation software.

Anyone with a AR4 that upgraded from AR2-3 can comment on the smaller screen?

Of course you'll be able to see a 6.2" screen during real-world usage. I'm thinking more of the overall aesthetic of the car's interior. Smallish in-dash screens look silly to me when the overall space can easily fit 7" (or more if double-DIN wasn't the limiting factor). Portable units notwithstanding - they will always look out of place, regardless of size. 

I would have definitely preferred the full size screen and retained physical buttons. However the trade off for carplay and the extra functions makes it worth it still. I got 2/3 the cost back selling my AR3 and as long as you can do that I'd say it's still worth it.

That said, if you are on Android, picking up an AR3 cheap is probably the way to go.

Apologies for the delay in replying guys! i'll try and answer as much as i can...

Cool! I do not use Spotify, so should not affect me at all. 

Usual question: how much you pay for it? and where did you buy it?

I paid £350 for it from Halfords, but i did not get them to install it!

I have a couple questions that hopefully you can help with. Thanks.

• Since Carplay is inherently made for using while driving, is the feature set identical whether you're parked or driving? Does anything get blocked out? 
  • Can you get any video playback, such as a video podcast while using Carplay? If not, does that change if you have the car parked? 
  • Is there any need/desire to have a bypass if all you want to use is Carplay?

1. Yes it is, being parked or driving doesn't effect the unit.

2. I downloaded a video podcast to test, and no video was played back, just the audio was played.

3. No need to bypass anything.

I still have to see it to figure out if the 0.8" less is a real disaster, but they probably had to cut somewhere to add new features such as the BT functionality you're talking about. Other than that, someone can invest a bit more and get a 7000NEX that is 7" and have built in GPS/navigation software.

I upgraded from an AppRadio 3 to the AppRadio 4 and to be honest, the size difference doesn't really make much different over the functionality you gain. 

When i installed it, i didn't 'feel' it was a lot smaller, the screen is clear and bright. 

I've been using the new unit for a week now and definitely impressed with it.

If anyone else has any questions please let me know..!

Hi Mate,

You said Carplay was primarily designed for driving and no bypass is required.

Does that mean that Carplay does not have an on-screen keyboard?  For example, you wish to use Apple Maps to navigate to an address.  Do you have to use Siri to input your destination?  Or can you also manually type in an address.

All the review videos i have seen has not shown any sort of keyboard, only Siri.

Cheers,

Hi Mate,

You said Carplay was primarily designed for driving and no bypass is required.

Does that mean that Carplay does not have an on-screen keyboard?  For example, you wish to use Apple Maps to navigate to an address.  Do you have to use Siri to input your destination?  Or can you also manually type in an address.

All the review videos i have seen has not shown any sort of keyboard, only Siri.

Cheers,

Hi

You have options for both. The first option when you go to search by default is Siri but there is a keyboard symbol in the top right corner which brings up a full keyboard.

Apple Maps keyboard