AVIC411.com

AppRadio 4 with CarPlay just announced - finally...

I think I'd wait a generation before buying a parrot, I had an aweful car radio from them before, I can't remember the exact bugs as it was about 2 years ago but there were loads of them, it was like no one tested it, or the designers never used a car radio before.

That said this new one is using Android so may be better, isn't that strange an Android radio using carplay, wonder if there will be any apps available to add carplay to all android radios

I have a plan for my AR2 before I splash out on anything else just yet, I'll create a new thread when everything arrives

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more Car Play announcement at CES:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/01/06/pioneer-kenwood-unveil-new-third-party-head-units-for-apples-carplay

Pioneer is already phasing out the old NEX series to replace them. Not sure it's a good sign!

I also have the App Radio 2, let us know once you have something amazing to do with it! I'm interested...

One question. If you connect iPhone by usb you can use CarPlay, but can you make phone calls or it's necessary to connect also Bluetooth? In the case of connecting both Bluetooth and usb, can up you also listen iPod from usb2?

I saw a reply saying that if iPhone is connected by Bluetooth you cannot use iPod.

Thks

One question. If you connect iPhone by usb you can use CarPlay, but can you make phone calls or it's necessary to connect also Bluetooth? In the case of connecting both Bluetooth and usb, can up you also listen iPod from usb2?

I saw a reply saying that if iPhone is connected by Bluetooth you cannot use iPod.

Thks

When using Carplay, phone calls are handled via the CarPlay Interface. If you do not connect the lightning cable phone calls use bluetooth via Pioneer's interface. 

CarPlay can only use USB1. If you have your iPhone connected to USB1, then USB2 can be used for anything. 

If you do not have your iPhone connected to USB1, it will connect via bluetooth. If you connect an iPod to USB2 in this scenario, you will retain bluetooth phone, but lose bluetooth music streaming. 

If you have another USB device plugged into USB2 that isn't an iPod, then bluetooth is fully functional. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought AppRadio 4 to replace my old JVC single-din receiver, which auto connected and synced with my iphone 6 plus everytime. I can start streaming music after 20 seconds from starting my car with this old JVC.  I bought AppRadio 4 for Carplay, Bluetooth streaming, and radio.  I don't expect to use Appradio Mode.

I have one issue with Bluetooth.  everytime I start my car, it auto connects with my iphone 6 plus (ios 8.1.2).   but sometime it won't sync (no service message or no data provided), meaning that I can't play music even though I can make phone call.  the icon on the right to navigate music folder is grayed out.  I notice this will happen when I play Netflix earlier, and  iphone control center shows Netflix movie name. but sometime I played a music on my iphone first and stop the music before starting my car, it connects to my phone but no sync, nor music.

one workaround I found to make it sync is to either change source to radio and then changing back to bluetooth.  Or make a phone call (using bluetooth on the receiver) and change back to bluetooth source.

Second issue is that I set up bluetooth to auto connect two iphones.  after streaming bluetooth on iphone 1, I turn off the car and bluetooth on iphone 1.  then I start the car but it failed to connect to iphone 2 with a message " failed to connect, try again..."  it seems it tried to connect to the last phone it connected (iphone 1) and failed if it cant find the last connected device.  again, workaround is go to bluetooth connection setting and manually select which iphone to connect. My old JVC worked flawless with this scenario. it would connect to whatever device is available. 

but this workaround is annoyed.  anyone has this issue?  my firmware version is 1.08.  not sure of bluetooth version.

On the first issue, I get similar and am not sure whether this is a fault or design. Basically what it seems to do is use your last application as the start point for an audio stream. This can work OK for when you've been flipping between the music or podcasts app, but I noticed if I've been on YouTube, it tries to start streaming this next time I'm in the car, which of course it can't do.

The workaround is to go into the music app and select something prior to going into the car - A bit annoying.

I also have an issue where if I start up the car and the last input was Bluetooth, it's only a 50/50 chance of starting the stream. If I'm on another source first, then select bluetooth, or I quickly press the steering wheel button to cycle sources, it works every time.

I also have an issue where if I start up the car and the last input was Bluetooth, it's only a 50/50 chance of starting the stream. If I'm on another source first, then select bluetooth, or I quickly press the steering wheel button to cycle sources, it works every time.

glad that I am not the only one to have these two issues.  which button on your steering wheel that you use to cycle through sources?   My 02 Odyssey steering wheel has only 3 buttons (volume +/- and Next).  I plan to manually program these buttons with additional long-pressed functions to mute and to activate Siri (PTT push to talk).  does Pioneer appradio 4 support Mute and PTT functions directly from steering wheel?

On mine, I have 3. Volume up, volume down and Mode. Mode cycles between the inputs so toggles Radio, USB, Bluetooth.

Like I said, rather than reconnecting manually, a quick fix for me if it hasn't picked up the BT is to just hit Mode 3 times so it's back on BT and it picks up every time. Bit annoying though!

Reading this I'm asking myself if this is another bug from Pioneers firmware or an iOS issue?

That sucks as we want things to work the way we expect, no workaround...

actually bluetooth is not very reliable.  I have seen bluetooth issues with all kind of devices.  Not just bluetooth but wireless in general.  I prefer ethernet over wifi.

considering Pioneer support many connectivity types and devices and does many things.  it not a surprise that things don't work perfectly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another reason not to buy now:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2881200/apples-first-ios-83-build-includes-wireless-carplay-and-new-emoji.html#tk.rss_all

If wireless CarPlay becomes a reality, we'll see if Pioneer can update the AP4 for it or will require another iteration (AP5) to make it works.

Wireless CarPlay would be the ultimate dream for short commute.