AVIC411.com

AppRadio 4 with CarPlay just announced - finally...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think ill wait til more places in the US stock the AR4.  Seems the European version doesnt have Pandora which is available in Australia.

Seems you can only buy it straight from Pioneer and one store on Amazon at the moment.  Quite strange nobody else has stock.

Haven't found any online Canadian stores with a listing of it. Too new?

i've just bought and installed an Appradio 4...upgraded from Appradio 3...so far i'm impressed!

Spotify is buggy as hell which we all know...hoping tomorrows update to iOS 8.1 fixes a few issues.

One question i can answer is, a standard usb to lightning cable works fine. i bought one of the amazon basic ones.

if you guys have any questions then let me know..

i've just bought and installed an Appradio 4...upgraded from Appradio 3...so far i'm impressed!

Spotify is buggy as hell which we all know...hoping tomorrows update to iOS 8.1 fixes a few issues.

One question i can answer is, a standard usb to lightning cable works fine. i bought one of the amazon basic ones.

Cool! I do not use Spotify, so should not affect me at all. 

Usual question: how much you pay for it? and where did you buy it?

I still haven't found any Canadian retailers or online sellers for the AR4.  Anyone out there know of any Canadian release?  Timing?

Also, I notice on the back of both the AR4 and the NEX4000 there is that yellow RGB plug in that can be used for iPhone VGA connection AND Navigation ready hideaway box.  Now, the navigation ready feature is listed on NEX4000 but not on the AR4, yet the connector is identical.  Anyone who has AR4 able to test this out for me?  Would love to have a navigation box add on that is video only and have CarPlay as music, phone source etc.

I still haven't found any Canadian retailers or online sellers for the AR4.  Anyone out there know of any Canadian release?  Timing?

I've been looking again and again, but nothing yet.

Even Pioneer .ca still shows the App Radio 3 as the current model.

Also, I notice on the back of both the AR4 and the NEX4000 there is that yellow RGB plug in that can be used for iPhone VGA connection AND Navigation ready hideaway box.  Now, the navigation ready feature is listed on NEX4000 but not on the AR4, yet the connector is identical.  Anyone who has AR4 able to test this out for me?  Would love to have a navigation box add on that is video only and have CarPlay as music, phone source etc.

Sometimes I wonder if an NEX model wouldn't be a better choice. They are a bit pricier, but they look so much more powerful. And someone pointed out on this forum that the 7000NEX can be found at around $700 usd on some sites, and already includes the navigation maps.

I have a couple questions that hopefully you can help with. Thanks.

• Since Carplay is inherently made for using while driving, is the feature set identical whether you're parked or driving? Does anything get blocked out? 
  • Can you get any video playback, such as a video podcast while using Carplay? If not, does that change if you have the car parked? 
  • Is there any need/desire to have a bypass if all you want to use is Carplay?

<p>

I have a couple questions that hopefully you can help with. Thanks.

• Since Carplay is inherently made for using while driving, is the feature set identical whether you're parked or driving? Does anything get blocked out?
  • Can you get any video playback, such as a video podcast while using Carplay? If not, does that change if you have the car parked?
  • Is there any need/desire to have a bypass if all you want to use is Carplay?

Think about it: video while driving and if I was a police officer seeing you, you'll be out in prison for a year and 2 more years without driving. That's a dangerous situation for every one on the road with you.

Sometimes I wonder if an NEX model wouldn't be a better choice. They are a bit pricier, but they look so much more powerful. And someone pointed out on this forum that the 7000NEX can be found at around $700 usd on some sites, and already includes the navigation maps.

Ya, for me it's not necessarily required to have the built in Navigation as I can use CarPlay for that.  I want to hook up an Android Navigation box for more than just Google Maps and can get one that has the RGB + touch interface cable that replicates the functionality of the Pioneer U260 Navigation Box.  Anyway, wondering if anyone knows if this will work on the AR4.....I like the overall look of the AR4 with the flat front and clean lines...I have the NEX4000 in my car now and hate that bottom stickout button bar...

Think about it: video while driving and if I was a police officer seeing you, you'll be out in prison for a year and 2 more years without driving. That's a dangerous situation for every one on the road with you.

meall, I appreciate your concern and I actually AGREE with what you said. You completely misunderstood my questions so please, get off your high horse. 

To clarify, I just want to know if Carplay can TECHNICALLY play videos. I frequently watch video podcasts because I'm an intellectual who likes to learn about things. If Carplay can't even play videos at all (like when parked), then I'm not likely to want it. The question about if a bypass is needed/desired is hypothetical. Bypasses are openly discussed here. I just want to understand how Carplay works a little better. Curiousity is OK, isn't it? It's like wondering where the best place is to hide dead bodies would be. It doesn't make you a murderer.  :mrgreen:

meall, I appreciate your concern and I actually AGREE with what you said. You completely misunderstood my questions so please, get off your high horse. 

Sorry, may have overreacted a bit here!

Your question about Car Play makes sense. I never read anything about video support and Car Play. Can't say either way. Maybe someone who have the new AP4 can tell?

Great competition for the AppRadio 4 - It looks like the Alpine ILX-007 will be $599.99 at Crutchfield. A Google search shows a Crutchfield link, but the link is broken. Luckily there is enough info to tease us.

From what I've gathered, this unit will only be 3" deep, conveniently leaving enough space behind the HU for one of Alpine's little outboard amplifiers. That is also exciting. 

Here's a pic of the Google search results. 

ILX007_zpsac20b5ee.jpg