AVIC411.com

Audio "Popping" on Shut-off

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank God I wasn't the only one. A month ago when CarPlay dropped I remember installing it late at night, not testing it until the next day. Well first thing my ears noticed was that music just didn't sound right to me, thinner, less full, subs didn't seem to be hitting as hard - something just didn't sound right. Then I turned my truck off and POP! Quickly realized after a blown tweater, can't be doing this anymore - so I began shutting off the music and disconnecting my phone before turning off the truck and that resolved the problem. I was stressed out about it all the way up until today when I found this thread. I was going to call and get this unit swapped out and hopefully get a unit on the old firmware, sacrificing CarPlay. But then I saw the post in the last page that you can disable CarPlay, which I didn't even know. Disabled it, boom, my music finally sounded normal again - big, full, rich, subs were really hitting like they used to! I knew I wasn't imagining things that first day, which I convinced myself everything sounded normal this past whole month. I A & B'd it back and forth just to verifiy and yeah, night and day difference in sound. It's almost like the NEX's amplifier was trying to work with my external amp, which it's not supposed to do when you have an external amp - I don't know, that's the only thing I could think of that made any sense to me. Oh and no pop either with CarPlay disabled. So that's how I've been running it as of now. Haven't tried the new update yet.

So my question to you guys, if any of you have a real nice aftermarket system & amp. Ontop of the CarPlay POP, did you notice a degration in sound quality on your systems as well?

Thank God I wasn't the only one. A month ago when CarPlay dropped I remember installing it late at night, not testing it until the next day. Well first thing my ears noticed was that music just didn't sound right to me, thinner, less full, subs didn't seem to be hitting as hard - something just didn't sound right. Then I turned my truck off and POP! Quickly realized after a blown tweater, can't be doing this anymore - so I began shutting off the music and disconnecting my phone before turning off the truck and that resolved the problem. I was stressed out about it all the way up until today when I found this thread. I was going to call and get this unit swapped out and hopefully get a unit on the old firmware, sacrificing CarPlay. But then I saw the post in the last page that you can disable CarPlay, which I didn't even know. Disabled it, boom, my music finally sounded normal again - big, full, rich, subs were really hitting like they used to! I knew I wasn't imagining things that first day, which I convinced myself everything sounded normal this past whole month. I A & B'd it back and forth just to verifiy and yeah, night and day difference in sound. It's almost like the NEX's amplifier was trying to work with my external amp, which it's not supposed to do when you have an external amp - I don't know, that's the only thing I could think of that made any sense to me. Oh and no pop either with CarPlay disabled. So that's how I've been running it as of now. Haven't tried the new update yet.

So my question to you guys, if any of you have a real nice aftermarket system & amp. Ontop of the CarPlay POP, did you notice a degration in sound quality on your systems as well?

I haven't noticed any change in sound quality. I have a JL XD700/5 amp, and had the popping problem too (which was fixed with 1.08), but everything sounds as good now as it did before.

I've had mine since tje 1st month of release, and I've been pretty active on this site, I don't recall anyone bringing up a popping sound with their Nex unit

Ive had mine a few months now and I get popping often when the GPS voice comes on. Once it was so loud it actually scared the hell out of me.

I haven't noticed any change in sound quality. I have a JL XD700/5 amp, and had the popping problem too (which was fixed with 1.08), but everything sounds as good now as it did before.

Hm, that's actually the exact same amp I have as well - matched with all JL speakers. That's odd, since the 1.0.6 update my sound quality was noticeably degraded as I've described - but if I turn CarPlay off it's back to normal. Going to update to 1.0.8 if I can find some time today and see if that brings back the quality while CarPlay is active. If not, I guess I'll just stick with CarPlay disabled...