AVIC411.com

CarPlay, NEX 4000, no call audio

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES!  I am having the same problem as todlerco and JonUNH82 with my newly installed NEX 4000 in a 2010 ford fusion with a idatalink maestro.  Drove me nuts all weekend.  Glad I found this forum.  Disapointed Pioneer doesn't have forums.  

I'm guessing this is an issue with Pioneer's newly updated huge firmware release for the 4000.  (It was a 1.3 GB udpate after uzipping it.  Yikes.  What could go wrong?)  I can't conclusively prove it, but here's what leads me to that conclusion:  

Siri audio and phone call audio are missing regardless if I use a cable connection and Carplay, or if I disconnect the cable and use bluetooth.  All other audio from every other app on my phone or head unit works regardless of bluetooth or cable connected.  (I don't use satellite radio)

It could be an idatalink problem but I don' think so.  The idatalink is just a box to route signals between the head unit and car, and it's routing audio correctly from the head unit to the car for all other apps.  Why would the idatalink even be aware of which app is active at any given time?  I don't think the idatalink is getting any audio to pass through for these apps.  

My phone works fine everywhere else, including with my factory toyota head unit in my other car, with a cable and bluetooth connection.  I've tested phone connectivity with a variety of tethered and bluetooth connections around my house and work, and no problems with anything except my pioneer head unit.  

I'm haven't tried to report this to pioneer yet.  What is the best method to use to contact pioneer?  I haven't dug into their website far enough to find it yet.  Thanks!

The audio going into Siri still is my problem with CarPlay. I've changed the firmware to 1.06 to 1.08 and back again. I'm wondering if it's a "privacy" issue with CarPlay. When you go into settings on the iPhone and go into privacy it lists the programs using the microphone. I don't have any program listed. I would think that CarPlay would show up there. Anybody else think of what might be causing this problem. I have a tech request in since Thursday with pioneer. Apple said its a Pioneer problem, of course.

The programs listed as using the microphone in the Privacy section iPhone are using the microphone of the iphone.  Carplay should be using the external microphone for the NEX.  Do you have the mic hooked up for the NEX?

I kind of assumed that Siri was getting my audio, since I can see the wavy lines when I talk to Siri, but it times out after that and doesn't seem to do anything with the audio, so maybe not.  Doesn't matter if you cant hear anything in return.  

The bigger problem for most people on this thread is no audio feedback.  Can you hear the Siri voice at all?

I don't hear Siri at all while in CarPlay. The microphone comes up and then the line which should change as talk to Siri but for me the line stays straight across and then times out. The problem is, it worked for me but I can't remember which firmware and which version of iOS? Frustrating to say the least.

Update:  I solved my problem of no audio from Messages and Phone apps in Carplay, at least for now.  In summary, my symptoms were no audio from the Messages and Phone apps in Carplay.  Audio from Maps, Music, and Podcasts in Carplay was coming through fine. 

Turns out that the volume was all the way down in the Messages and Phone apps, but unchanged in all the other Carplay apps.  I don't remember ever turning the volume down or muting it in these two apps, but that was the problem.  It wasn't obvious because the volume level bar isn't visible in Carplay screens until you try to change the volume.  Since I've changed the volume level in these two apps, it appears that each Carplay app retains the volume level of the last time you used it??  As far as I can tell.  

Since I don't know how the volume got turned off in the first place, I'll be interested to see if the problem recurs.  I just finished putting the system in my car Sunday morning, so not much time using it.  I used it most of the morning Sunday immediately after installing and all was well.  Later in the day when I drove the car again, the Phone and Messages apps were mute.  I hope this helps someone else.  It appears my problem is solved, for now.  

No, I am not talking about a setting in the configuration screens of the NEX.  

I'm just saying it looks like each app in Carplay remembers the last volume level you used in that app.  For instance, if you use the Music app and have the volume at 1/3, the next time you get in your car and use the Music app, it will start at 1/3 volume.  So, if the volume gets muted on one of your apps, and you aren't aware it happened, you might just think the sound is broken, and you might never know what happened, since the volume level isn't visible on those screens.  That's what occurred with me.

The Carplay app screens don't show the volume level normally.  When I finally tapped the volume in one of those apps, the volume level popped up on screen for a second, and I figured it out.  This was maddening, because I know I didn't turn down or mute the volume in these apps. I used all the apps, including Maps, Music, iHeartRadio, and Podcasts, and in all the other apps the volume continues to be fine, 

peterose - I get the impression that your issue is different than ours.  You seem to have had Siri pick up or recognize your voice throughout this process.  You mentioned that the line gets "wavy" when you speak.  It does not get wavy for several of us it seems, myself and n7vy included, and therefore the voice being picked up by the microphone isn't being relayed into the phone by the NEX unit.  (Yes, before you ask, the microphone is connected properly; I have used the unit for bluetooth calls using the microphone many times since installing the unit in my car).  This would lead me to believe that you weren't having problems with outgoing call audio either.  Before you found the volume "fix," did you attempt to make a phone call to someone, and could they hear you despite you not being able to hear them?  For me (and others) the problem is bi-directional, and those on the other end cannot hear the CarPlay user either.

I'm glad you found a fix for your issue though!  I'll attempt to play with the volume in phone calls and in Siri this evening, but I'm highly doubtful this will fix the issue for me.

JonUNH82 and others, I've contacted the vendor and got a RMA. I have tried every combination of setting to try and change. So much so that I know the settings almost in my sleep. I'm going to try one more Pioneer 4000NEX. I contacted Pioneer service and got an auto response from them saying they will get back to me as soon as they can. Nothing as of the end of day on Tuesday. Frustrating. I'll have a new unit hopefully on Friday. I'll update then.

I have a Nex 5000 and it worked just fine ever since I bought it. Two days ago is when I noticed this issue. I get my music playing just fine, but I can't get any audio from my phone calls or anything using Siri. When I bring up Siri, it seems as though the mic isn't picking my voice up. The wave that normally moves when you talk, is just a straight line. I updated to the newest firmware today and the issue persist. I powered off my iPhone 6 Plus and tried again...issue persist. I tried another lightning cable and issue persist. The only conclusion that I came up with was that it's either my iPhone or the Nex 5000. When I got home, I tried using my wife's iPhone 6 and it magically started working again. I plugged in my iPhone and it worked! The audio actually worked when bringing up Siri and I can hear my phone calls. I tried it a couple times and the issue seemed resolved. The only thing I did before plugging in my wife's iPhone was adjusting the mic that is attached near my rear view mirror. We ended up watching a movie at the theatre and coming back to the car, it still worked. A couple minutes driving, the audio went away again. We tried both iPhones and I even turned the car off and on...issue persist. I decided to just deal with it later, so I didn't play with the mic again or power off my iPhone. I just wanted to write here and say that you're not alone, I have this issue as well and I'm glad I'm not the only one.

The iPhones we use are on the latest software 8.1.

The Nex 5000 is on the latest firmware 1.0.8.

I got my Nex 5000 from Best Buy and they installed it there. I haven't had any major issues like this ever since I bought this. Hopefully a fix will come sooner than later.

Im having an issue with my 6000nex and with CarPlay. When I use seri it does not recognize my voice when I give a command. I do hear her voice when she asks what message I want to send and also in maps, but I can never give a command as the line at the bottom stays straight. I also noticed that when I make a call over Bluetooth people can't hear me either. I don't know If this is an issue with my microphone that comes with the Nex or if these 2 issues are related. I just got it installed 2 days ago and I haven't played around with it too much yet. I'm using an apple lighting cord with an iPhone 6 and 6000nex that are both recently updated to the latest firmware.

Hello all,

I'm the original poster and just wanted to update everyone on my problem.

In a word.... resolved!  Finally!

It's taken so long because i had to send my unit to Pioneer's repair center in Southern California.

After shipping, and a long wait to hear back from the repair center, I finally received a new unit from Pioneer yesterday.

Updated the firmware on it from 1.03 to the latest 1.08, made sure my Maestro RR was updated and reinstalled everything.

And it's all working just fine now!  Whew!

Siri hears me, and I hear her.

Siruis XM is working again too.

No amount of fiddling with settings, or alternate installations helped at all.

It was a defective headunit all along.

See my original post for definition of the problem.

Good luck to you all!