AVIC411.com

WARNING DO NOT UPDATE IF YOU USE USB STORAGE!

Where's my 1.02 firmware -- I want it back NOW!

DAMN YOU PIONEER.  DAMN YOU STRAIGHT TO HELL.

Yeah, I'd like CarPlay.  But NOT at the expense of what they did.

If you have a USB-attached storage device (e.g. a SSD) and you update to 1.06 the unit will no longer remember where it was when the car is shut down, and will start playing at the first song on the device when you turn the car back on.

This is a major "screw you" -- they broke the product.

DO NOT UPDATE UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO LOSE YOUR USB FUNCTIONALITY!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking USB-attached storage functionality in this fashion is utterly outrageous -- it ought to put the company out of the car audio business if they do not fix it IMMEDIATELY.

I will note that there are people threatening to SUE Mazda over this in their stock head unit in the "6" models.

The economic value of my 4000 has been destroyed this morning. I am doing everything I can to make sure everyone knows about this, including sending it out in public where the ~300,000+ monthly readers I have can see it and will never, ever buy another Pioneer product of any sort unless it is immediately (like right damn now, or I gain the ability to restore my older 1.2 firmware) fixed. As soon as I can find a unit that works properly this piece of crap is going on Craigslist and being replaced with something else.

This is utterly unacceptable; either Pioneer didn't care or didn't bother testing the firmware before releasing it.

Worse, since it must be assumed that all CURRENT shipments of the product now have this newer firmware in it you can't buy a new one, or have yours serviced by Pioneer either -- as if that firmware gets loaded on your unit by any means you're screwed.  In turn this renders the warranty void since you cannot evade having this functionality destroyed if you avail yourself of the alleged "warranty" service.

Wow, relax. Wishing a company and their employees out of business is pretty extreme and selfish. Tell that to an employee's kid.

#firstworldproblems

No problem -- they can refund my money and everyone else so-affected or they can fix it right now -- one zero-cost (to them) option to do so is to release the original firmware files so they can be reloaded.

Pioneer destroyed a significant part of the value of my lawfully-owned product.

Ok, I think we may not have a problem.  I do stress the word "may".

About 2 months ago, I changed my SSD file structure so that I would get Artist/Album/Song order where the songs would start with the 2 digit track #.

I have 12,313 songs.  After Format Read, it would play the first song and it would show 1 of 1113.  I freaked out...I should have 12,313 songs, not 1,113. If I left the USB screen and came back, the available song number would get higher.  It would show 1 of 1213, then 1313, etc..all the way to 12,313.  The process was slow...but eventually it recognized all 12,313.

Shut the car off...and then get back in car and the NEX would do the format read.  Instead of showing 1 of 1113...it would show a higher number.  Each time I shut my car off and get back in, the number would get higher.  Eventually, I would start my car and it would finally show all 12,313 available songs. 

Now, during this long processing time...each time I started the car up....it would start with the same song, the first alphabetical song.  No matter what.  No audio resume whatsoever.  But, when the process finally recognized all 12,313 songs at car startup....audio resume worked properly.  I don't have a long commute, so the entire process took a little over 1 week.

Now, I believe the same thing is happening after the firmware update.  I noticed the first time it showed 1,492 songs...now it is over 2,000 songs.  The difference I see now is that available song number increases without having to leave the USB music screen and coming back.

It seems like the unit does a initial format read and then a deeper format read that runs in background that allows you to listen to music while it runs the deeper format read process.

I'm going to keep an eye on this and see if this theory holds true again.  I have some longer road times this weekend, speeding up this process.

So bottom line is that format read process is not complete, and it takes forever...but when its done (depending on how many files you have), audio resume should work.

No, it goes all the way to 100% on my SSD; it shows the percentage read now on the screen at the top level of the tag/folder display.

When it first loaded it showed the directories but some were grayed out, as it scanned they "lit up" and all became accessible.  This IS different behavior; on the original firmware it would display "Format Read" with the percentage and until it was done you couldn't do anything at all.

It's POSSIBLE the unit is doing something internally and this will "magically start working" but I've taken two 20 minute drives with it playing after it finished indexing everything and the read percentage having long reached 100% and it still didn't properly resume.

Wow after reading this, I had to see for myself. And sure enough it did not continue where I left the movie. And I just have a 128GB thumb drive connected to USB2. What's even worse is that it won't recognize USB2 if you have your phone connected to USB1.

First was not being able to use Bluetooth audio when plugged in, now this? This is inexcusable. Pioneer just went full retard. I'm seriously thinking about switching to alpine or something else after being a pioneer user for many years.

I have 480gb ssd, movies start where left off, and music does also. Although, it did this only after several on/off recycles during the first day of use. Now everything is back like it was. I, for one, will not be using CarPlay until there are more apps, that i actually use. The only appradio app i use is dashcommand, and use it on my iPhone 6 screen, in horizontal mode in my proclip mount. Unfortunately, carplay cancels out nav option from avic-u260, the same way AppRadio mode does. You would think, with all the inputs and all, you could choose, carplay mode, nav mode, AppRadio mode via mode switch. After all, all three are made by and supported by Pioneer. It is either/or.