AVIC411.com

Comprehensive list of current Carplay issues

Hey everyone, I wanted to start a consolidated thread of all the common issues people are having with the Carplay update.  My issues so far:

1: Loud POP through speakers when powering off car or removing faceplate 

2: Audio quality of voice calls is terrible compared to Bluetooth

3: Head unit will randomly freeze & restart itself

4: Spotify app is mostly useless, unable to search or navigate "back" to previous menus

5: Other 3rd party apps such as iHeartradio & Stitcher not showing up at all

I feel like I'm missing a couple other smaller ones, will list them once I remember.

4000NEX & iPhone 5 on iOS 8.0.2

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#6 (confirmed by only me at this point I think) - Unable to access music playlists that are stored / organized in folders.  The folders appear but when you tap on one to see the playlists stored inside it does nothing.

I sent an email to Pioneer and quickly got a response back from them saying this was not their issue.  Whether or not that is actually true...

And I believe I have run into #3 a few times as well.  I will typically be using either Maps or Music and it will crash out of CarPlay and back to the "normal" NEX UI.  It also temporarily makes my USB port unavailable.  I usually have to plug my phone in a few times before it snaps back to life.  Does that sound like what others are seeing?

You have to remember issues with CarPlay is Apple's domain as the UI an features for the most part can change via an iOS update. I have taken the liberty to file bugs with Apple (I am an app dev) in their dev portal. I suggest anyone that can do the same as that will help the usability issues get resolved and show that people are using the feature.

Here are my open radars for the bugs:

CarPlay Album Artwork Too Dim

CarPlay Requires Unlock On Plugin

CarPlay Message Display

CarPlay Maps View Unusable

And add the mic not working at all nor can I hear people when on a phone call. The weird part is siri will still activate when I say "Hey Siri." Brought my car to Best Buy and everything is installed properly. I'm not the only one with this issue and no one has found a fix yet. NEX 6000.

This makes me wonder if CarPlay is using the external mic at all, or if everything goes through the iPhone's mic (which might be obstructed by however it's mounted or attached in the vehicle).

No, it's using the external mic.   I was using it last night with the phone in the glove compartment.  No problems.

#6 (confirmed by only me at this point I think) - Unable to access music playlists that are stored / organized in folders.  The folders appear but when you tap on one to see the playlists stored inside it does nothing.

I sent an email to Pioneer and quickly got a response back from them saying this was not their issue.  Whether or not that is actually true...

That's Apple's bug as bass_rock mentions. The display and behavior is all on the phone. The head unit is simply responsible for displaying the video feed and sending input back to the phone (mic, touch, buttons, etc). I have folders of playlists too, but I can't reproduce your bug on 8.0.2, unfortunately. Have you tried rebooting the phone or force-quitting the Music app?

I can imagine both of these being punted in one way or another. The first seems by design, and the second is mostly by design as well (maybe a bad design, but intentional nonetheless). The defaults seem to be about giving you an overview, and even if you accept an auto-calculated route based on frequent trips or a calendar appt, it doesn't go into the "first person" view until you hit the details button, or tap "Guidance" when accepting the route. It'd make more sense if you could interact with POIs on the map in this mode.

The lack of contrast is a bit of a problem though.

Hey everyone, I wanted to start a consolidated thread of all the common issues people are having with the Carplay update.  My issues so far:

1: Loud POP through speakers when powering off car or removing faceplate 

2: Audio quality of voice calls is terrible compared to Bluetooth

3: Head unit will randomly freeze & restart itself

4: Spotify app is mostly useless, unable to search or navigate "back" to previous menus

5: Other 3rd party apps such as iHeartradio & Stitcher not showing up at all

I feel like I'm missing a couple other smaller ones, will list them once I remember.

4000NEX & iPhone 5 on iOS 8.0.2

I had 3 (lockup, reset) happen to me on the way home today - it took about 15 seconds after the lockup before the unit reset. I have also been having issues with Siri hearing/responding to my requests.