AVIC411.com

AVH-4000NEX Firmware Upgrade Failure

I had this exact same problem and came across this thread trying to find the solution.

I just created an account so that I could let you guys know what fix worked for me - I ended up using a different thumb drive! That was it. I formatted a different thumb drive to FAT32, extracted the firmware folder to it, and BAM - no more endless firmware failures. It picked up the drive and continued on with the update.

As a note, I had the EXACT same issue the OP had. When I tried the new thumb drive, the screen changed from "0.00 -> 0.00" to "1.60 -> 1.60" and the update itself took less than 5 minutes. Give it a shot, it sure took less time than sending the head unit back to Pioneer.

It's January 2016 and in the Avic5100NEX pioneer has the same thing happening.   I following this solution and it worked. Something funky about the first thumb drive so I tried another and it worked.

• 3 months later...

Hi guys,

I have stupidly bricked my AVH-X8700BT (4100NEX)...Original version was 1.03 and I attempted to update to

1.053, It started normally, but after first restart It began to show every time upgrade v0.00 to v0.00 has failed...

I need help recovering it, I tried removing internal SD and now it's even worse, after short period is is automatically powering itself down (no more auto restarts)...

Please give me hints how to proceed, is it possible to put a new not locked SD card with some working base

image and boot and upgrade afterwards....

Regards

Thank you

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

OMG you guys are my hero. 

"For any of the poor souls that were greeted by the update failed message, flipped out, and nearly took a hammer to their head unit:"

This was me!!!!

So I used 3 different sd cards, on a Mac all following the rules.  Then I abandoned the Mac reformatted the cheapest basic sd card I had on a pc, re downloaded and extracted, and it worked

I don't have a $800 brick, thanks guys!

fwiw to the community, my message was same as the OP but instead of saying USB it said SD as this was the medium I first tried the update with. It appears if your unit has multiple inputs e.g. sd, and usb, it wont let you switch mediums if the update failed. none of my attempts using the USB port ever worked, only sd.

Registered an account to share how I fixed this issue, hopefully it might be helpful to someone.

I bought a used W8400NEX, and when I tried to upgrade firmware from v1.0 to v1.04 I met the same issue. Changed 4 USB sticks and every USB stick give the same update failure error, I realized this might not be a usb stick issue. So I spent some time look at the file folders on the USB drive, and found there's a hidden folder called "System Volume Information" on the USB drive. btw I used windows 10 to reformatted the USB drives.

What I did was manually removed the hidden folder.

1) Open windows command line window 

2) In the command window, switch to the USB drive,  then uses these commands (if usb drive is on E: drive):

• e:
  • dir /a
  • cd "System Volume Information"
  • del *
  • cd ..
  • rmdir "System Volume Information"

3) I copied the firmware folder to USB drive, put in the radio, then turned on the power, the USB drive got recognized immediately and upgrade started.

4) Follow the instruction to finish the upgrade.