AVIC411.com

Recalibrate GPS

Is there such a thing as recalibrating the GPS

My VSS wire is hooked up on my Nex8000

At times, let's say highways with service road. The Nex will have me on the Service road, then on Highway, then on Service road, etc --- when I'm steadily cruising on the highway and not the service road.

This issues seems to be more during higher speeds than local street driving.

For example, I was on a highway cross over water.

It had me on the highway, then on a local street 1/4 mile to the left of the highway, then I was on the water body , etc - and my *onscreen location* was flipping between these 3 within seconds of each other when I was just *crusing* straight on the highway

Try resetting to factory settings. If that fails, you might have to return and get a new unit it have it replaced/fixed through warranty.

IMHO I don't like my 8000NEX's navigation. Even after the 1.06, it guides me to routes I would never take or routes with even heavier traffic. My Z130 was a lot better in terms of navigation and also learned the streets I normally use getting to my house.

I'll be sticking to google maps on my iPhone for the time being.

Good luck on your unit

You're not the only one. Mine will also jump around at times, but my biggest issue is how far off it is for turns. Turns can be anywhere from 50ft to 300ft off from when I actually made the turn. I mentioned this in another thread a while back, but even sitting at traffic light intersections, it will show I am a good distance back from where I actually am. My VSS is hooked up, and have checked that the speed pulse increase when driving. I did a full reset, also waited for the "calibration" turn lines to be completely full. I don't expect it to be exact since it is a commercial GPS, BUT the Z series GPS was pretty spot on.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled up the Instal Manual  - does not state that the GPS antenna is orientation specific.

Pulled up the GPS stat while driving - at all /most time, the screen is reading all satellites and the status is *high*.

However, in reality , there is def. some GPS wonkiness issues per the OP.

There's really not that much that can go wrong with GPS, it either works or it doesn't, assuming reception of sufficient satelites (minimum of 3, preferably more)

No callibration is involved.

However, the unit also uses Vss and map matching. Assuming Vss is correctly calibrated, accuracy also depends on the accuracy of the used maps....