AVIC411.com

iHeartRadio updated to work with CarPlay

iHeartRadio has released an update to its iPhone app that adds support for Apple's CarPlay, allowing owners to use the app while they are driving with a car equipped with the company's connected car system.

The iHeartRadio app allows users to access thousands of radio stations in the US via Internet streaming so having the app now support CarPlay will be a huge feature for commuters who don't want to listen to the same local radio stations time and time again.

In addition to the CarPlay support, the new iHeartRadio app update adds some "OS 8 compatibility tweaks" along with a Today View widget which allows users to quickly access their most recently listen to radio stations from the iOS 8 Notification Center. Will you be using this app in your CarPlay store?

Will you be using this app in your CarPlay store?

I played with it a little bit this morning.  It worked, but that's about all that I can say.  I was on the road, so I didn't take the time to log into my account.

I spend a lot more time with Tune-In.  If Tune-In revised their app to be CarPlay friendly, I'd pay much more attention.

While it works, I'm not very happy with the interface. It seems to like throwing lists at the user without any real structure to any of it. And it took a while for my favorites to even show in the list, leaving me wondering where to find them.

Oddly, I find Spotify is nicer to use than iHeartRadio.