AVIC411.com

I'm sure a lot of you have run into it... the messaging bug where Siri seem to read the last message you sent to someone, instead of reading the most recent message they sent to you. It can sometimes make any attempt at a hands-free conversation pointless.

It's NOT a language thing. I tried having her read messages to me in a variety of ways... "read texts" -- "read unread messages" -- "read unread text from so-and-so"... etc. NOTHING solves it except this cancel button thing I'll describe below. I do have firmware 1.08. Matter of fact I just updated last week and the whole messaging thing seemed worse after that update.

I played with this A LOT over the weekend because it was driving me crazy and I was determined to find a workaround (short of not using it). I was close to returning the whole friggin' unit if I couldn't find a work-around. I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on something that works worse than just using SIRI by herself, when not connected to my car.

Anyway, what I discovered is that SIRI seems to not understand that we've completed our task with her -- at least that's how it seems. This is a bit hard to explain... It has to do with a CANCEL button that sometimes appears. 

Often, when you message/text someone, or they message/text you, there's a little "CANCEL" button that appears in the top left corner of the screen. If it is still there after you've finished, if you don't press it, that seems to be when the bug will occur... and I say this because pressing it when you are done seems to solve the problem.

Watch the video, and it will become a bit more clear... 

... and what you see in the video, I was able to reliably reproduce time and time again... the bug itself and this work-around.

Sometimes the CANCEL button will not be there... in that case, if you run into the bug, just go and start to text someone by pressing their name... the CANCEL button will then appear and you can just press it from there.

Moral of the story is that pressing that CANCEL button when you can will keep the problem from occurring. Of course, the unit shouldn't require any touching to work correctly (defeats the whole purpose), but at least it's minimal in this case.

Try it for yourself... report back...