AVIC411.com

x920 White Lines - Third Unit from Pioneer

As the title suggests, my x920BT unit has black and white horizontal bars across the screen.

It would be bad enough (given the original cost of the unit and installation) if this was the first time. Nope, this the third.

In fact, the last time this happened, I shipped the unit off to Pioneer Service and paid $250.00 (plus shipping) to have the unit serviced. Pioneer contacted me a nearly two months later to tell me they couldn't get the replacement parts needed and would need to send me a refurbished unit instead. I agreed - but they charged me just the same. This was in March of this year.

Now, not more than six months later, the same problem - all over again.... black and white bars on the screen and ZERO functionality. The BU camera comes on for a brief moment at boot-up, then the unit dies.

I can rule-out installation as the unit was purchased and installed by an authorized retailer. I firmly believe the product is just crap and Pioneer is bulking on making good on the problem. Personally, I would be ashamed to say I owned a business that knows of product issues like this (there are posts about this same problem on a number of forums - this one included) and still attempts to charge the customer EVEN MORE money to fix issues with quality.

While I intend to keep calling and working to escalate the issue, I'd greatly appreciate any assistance or advice anyone can lend.

Thanks in advance.

Update:

I received a call from Pioneer Customer Support yesterday afternoon. The person I spoke to seemed skeptical about the problem - even though their records indicate this is not the first time I have sent the unit back for this issue. Keep in mind, I have not attempted any hacks or mods on the unit (none) that would lead to its malfunction.

During the conversation I informed the customer service person that there are numerous reports, blog posts and forum entries of "black and white horizontal lines leading to a unit that no longer functions at all....". The customer service person replied by saying "Really? Hmmm.... we've never heard of this before..."

I think it would go a long way in pointing out the obvious quality issues with these products if the instances could be collected in one post. So, if you've had a similar problem - feel free to post below. As the owner of a pro audio company based in the Midwest, we spend thousands each year on Pioneer DJ and Production gear. Considering this experience, I don't think their support will warrant our dollars much longer.

Best of luck to all.

• 5 months later...

Have you ever checked the voltage regulator on your vehicle. Probably built into  the alternator. But it sounds like your getting voltage spikes or a hot ground. I can't say I've seen this in any Pioneer product but I have in other electronic devices. (Aircraft avionics)

Before I would blame the manufacturer for something as isolated as this problem, I would look beyond the radio and more toward the vehicle and install. I would have done this after radio number two. There are just too many of these units around to say this is a design issue. These pages would be full of complaints of a similar nature. I would also consider looking back at the install. Even pro's make mistakes.

It would be interesting to hear what you've found since this post.