AVIC411.com

Carplay Album Art Issue

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, definitely experiencing that too. I remember thinking after first using CarPlay update that the artwork was very light in the background and difficult to see. If I drove at night, however, it showed up a lot better.

With IOS 8.1, it looks like they decided to darken the whole screen so that only a small ribbon of the album art shows at the top of the screen, and barely at that. I hope they'll change this.

The carplay album art is terrible.  We can only hope that Apple will eventually get the message, and fix it.  I'm only moderately hopeful, since iTunes has been getting significantly worse with each full-version increment.  The music player on the Iphone also seems to get worse with each new version of iOS, rather than better.  Meh.

Yes this was a big change with iOS 8.1. Previously, the album art was full screen but dim. Not they've added a mask ove the lower third of the screen probably thinking the controls would be easier to see. It's horrible. Why even bother having album art you can't see. On top of that you have to seriously tweak the brightness and contrast controls to see it. Don't worry, the CarPlay image adjustments are different from the main unit.

Spankey, are you saying there's a way to adjust the brightness and contrast specifically for CarPlay? How do you do it?

I have an 8000 so YMMV. Go into CarPlay and then hit the home button and then the Settings icon. Go to Picture Adjustments and the adjustment controls will appear over CarPlay. Adjust accordingly. This will not effect the picture settings of the main unit. Be sure to do this during daylight and at night so you can adjust for each time.

I could not even see album art with the default settings. Had to crank brightness and lower contrast a bit. So the answer to your question is yes.

I have an 8000 so YMMV. Go into CarPlay and then hit the home button and then the Settings icon. Go to Picture Adjustments and the adjustment controls will appear over CarPlay. Adjust accordingly. This will not effect the picture settings of the main unit. Be sure to do this during daylight and at night so you can adjust for each time.

I could not even see album art with the default settings. Had to crank brightness and lower contrast a bit. So the answer to your question is yes.

I posted this in a separate thread but no one's responding, so I thought I'd ask here. Do you know what the default setting is for the Dimmer function on the NEX units for both daytime and nighttime? (The slider goes from +1 to +48.)

I wanted to compare my new settings to the original, but I forgot to record what the original settings were.

Wow, I've been ignoring this thread, since I didn't think it effected me. Today, while stopped at a light, the sun was just right angle and I could see the very faint outline of John Fogerty while playing his wonderful I Wrote A Song For Everyone album. It was daytime and I have the brightness/dim set to max, so I held this month's issue of MacTech Magazine up to block reflections...and there he was. Oh just so faint, never in a thousand years would I have guessed that album art was being displayed (cough, cough).

I did the one thing that will get Apple's attention, since this is, after all, an iOS problem...I filed a bug report (18946516):

CarPlay-Album-Art-Issue.png