AVIC411.com

Problems with backup camera after installing AVIC Z110BT

Before:

I had a Pioneer AVH-P1400DVD installed in my '04 Nissan 350z (manual transmission-in case that makes any difference) and later on decided to add a back up camera. When I first installed the camera, and it worked fine: came on when I put the car in reverse, turned off when I took it out, but I was getting the black screen that says "Caution Image May Be Reversed" that would pop up randomly (every few minutes while driving) but would go away if I tapped the screen.

I fixed that..not exactly sure anymore exactly what I did to fix it, but long story short, everything was working as it should.

Now:

I bought a Pioneer AVIC Z110BT from a friend and installed it the other day. 

I reused the wiring harness from the P1400DVD because it was the exact same. 

The only thing that changed, which I can't imagine makes a difference, was, with the P1400DVD, I was using a relay to bypass the parking break. I took that out because I  don't watch movies while I'm driving and there is very little space behind the HU in a 350Z.

Camera wiring:

RCA running from camera in the back of the car to the backup camera input on the unit.

Wire running form the reverse lights to the back of the unit.

Camera's + also spliced into reverse lights.

Camera's - grounded to chassis.

Problem:

I go into system settings, turn on the backup camera with the polarity set to battery and nothing happens at all, ever.

If I set the polarity to ground, every time i start the car and the unit turns on, I get the black screen that says "caution image may be reversed" but when I put the car into reverse, the camera comes on as it should, and turns off when I take it out of reverse.

But, the black screen will not go away no matter what I do. The volume buttons, next/prev track button, and eject buttons will work, but I cant get off the black screen unless I disconnect the battery to reset the unit.

Is there something I'm missing because, from where I'm sitting, the damn thing should work. lol