AVIC411.com

yet another rear camera issue (searched and can't find any info for this prob)

I just had my 8000 NEX installed yesterday into my 2011 BMW 335d. When the car is off, selecting reverse turns the camera on exactly as has happened in all of the AVIC units that I installed into my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition. Once the vehicle has started, it will engage the camera the first time I put it in reverse, but never again until I shut the whole car down and turn it on while in ACC mode. The voltage is just under 12v when the vehicle is off (and the camera activates as it should), but when the car is on, the voltage goes to 12.6v and the head unit seems to pretend that the trigger doesn't exist. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking of soldering together a TI voltage regulator to add in to keep the voltage the same when the car is off and on, but will this solve my problem? Is there a simpler solution any of you fine folks have come up with?

Sadly a little late since you dash is all sealed up but any way to verify if they spliced into the harness correctly? I know that with my install, since I did it myself, I spliced together rear camera wiring with the main harness as the aftermarket harness has all the connections on there that I needed, no need to run wires to the e-Brake or splice power in at the rear tail lamp, it was all there for me in the dash. Wondering if in your case something is in the wrong place. Also what settings are you using on the head unit for your install, battery, ground etc. 

Sorry for the delay in reply,

The camera is wired into the reversing light, and when the car is turned off (and the power to the reverse light is below 12v), it works like a charm every time. It's only when the car is on and the power in the reverse line jumps up to 12.6v that it stops working. It's the same in the Jetta, and this problem only started happening when I upgraded the deck from the old AVIC to the new NEX. It's strange that it's happening the same way on both cars with different cameras and installations from different shops.

settings are

Camera view: off

Back Camera input: On

Camera Polarity: Battery

Parking Assist Guide: Off

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in reply,

The camera is wired into the reversing light, and when the car is turned off (and the power to the reverse light is below 12v), it works like a charm every time. It's only when the car is on and the power in the reverse line jumps up to 12.6v that it stops working. It's the same in the Jetta, and this problem only started happening when I upgraded the deck from the old AVIC to the new NEX. It's strange that it's happening the same way on both cars with different cameras and installations from different shops.

settings are

Camera view: off

Back Camera input: On

Camera Polarity: Battery

Parking Assist Guide: Off

I have backup camera as well, connected to the reverse lights and everything worked fine, very quick screen on when put in reverse with previous OEM head unit.  However, when I installed 6000nex, I connected the reverse signal wire to the harness that I bought to bypass amp, and few times, camera worked.  but now it does not.  i think it's fried.  

so basically, I have also been searching but the 'Reverse signal' from Pioneer harness needs to be connected either 'Battery or Ground', so 6000nex would know to power on the camera with 12v when reverse is in.  Therfore I'd need to bring a lead from the camera end to 6000nex.  that's a lot of work =( 

I got lazy and haven't done it yet.  If I do this and camera still works, i'd save about 14 bucks! lol  

so basically, I have also been searching but the 'Reverse signal' from Pioneer harness needs to be connected either 'Battery or Ground', so 6000nex would know to power on the camera with 12v when reverse is in.  Therfore I'd need to bring a lead from the camera end to 6000nex.  that's a lot of work =( 

Judging from what you wrote, it seems you have a slight misunderstanding of how it works.  The Pioneer HU never powers the rear camera through it's reverse signal lead.  That lead is only a sensing lead.  IMPORTANT: It could be different than the rear lights. Some newer vehicles with OEM rear camera on HU have a reverse signal already on the OEM HU harness. Sometimes it's there in base models without the feature simply because the factory uses the same harness for all submodels... and sometimes base models do not have it.  And the point is that in the digital age, it is entirely possible the voltage on that lead may be opposite the actual light sockets.

That said, when there is no reverse signal on the factory harness, there is [almost] always a reverse "signal" wire already up front somewhere... but I realize it can be substantially harder to locate than at the light socket :)  Nonetheless, it's not terribly difficult to find if you determine where the switch is.  It is typically somewhere concealed but very close to the shift lever or linkage attached thereto.  Once located, you just test the switch leads for the required change in voltage while moving shift lever into and out of Reverse.  You'll have to gauge difficulty but it is often less work than running a lead all the way from the back.

• 3 months later...