AVIC411.com

Can AVIC-5000NEX use the car's OEM microphone (2014 Honda CR-V)?

As others have mentioned on this forum, folks I who I talk to while driving are saying the audio quality isn't what it used to be.

Before I had the AVIC-5000NEX installed, all calls were handled over Bluetooth, using the OEM microphone.

The OEM microphone is in the center roof console, I wonder(ed) if quality would improve if the AVIC-5000NEX could use it?

Currently the microphone that came with the unit is positioned by the gas gauge.

2014-honda-cr-v-microphone.png

I'm using the OEM mic from my 09 Civic with a 7000nex.  This is the same mic found in the 14 CR-V.

In order do so I cut the mic wires at the 28 pin Handsfreelink module connector and added a mini jack from Radio Shack to those wires.  

Works great and I'm told it sounds better than the Pioneer mic.  

No problem always glad to help when I can.  

The required jack is a 2.5mm mono type.  

I'm sure your wire colors at the Handsfreelink module will be different colors, but for anyone else wanting to use the Honda OEM mic in a Civic or CR-Z can do so by using the following pins at the Handsfreelink 28 pin connector. 

09-11 Civic: pin 13 (yellow +) and 14 (brown -) Pin 12 is shield. 

11-12 CR-Z:  pin 1 (blue +) and pin 2 (pink -) Pin 3 is shield. 

11-12 CR-Z:  pin 1 (blue +) and pin 2 (pink -) Pin 3 is shield. 

CR-Z 2011/2012 Service Manual has it the other way around...

Cavity    Wire Color    Name

1              PNK         MIC–

2              BLU         MIC+

I have a 2013 CCR-Z and as best I recall, everything regarding the audio and nav systems is unchanged from '11/12.

CR-Z 2011/2012 Service Manual has it the other way around...

Cavity    Wire Color    Name

1              PNK         MIC–

2              BLU         MIC+

I have a 2013 CCR-Z and as best I recall, everything regarding the audio and nav systems is unchanged from '11/12.

You Sir, are correct.   

...I should have double checked instead of relying on my memory when I replied.   The 7000 I have now replaced a 2011 CR-Z navi system I had previously installed in my 09 Civic.

The only differences I'm aware of between the 11/12 & 13/14 CR-Z (in regards to the navi systems) is that the 13/14 has the BT music profile activated in the HFL module and the navi head unit is made by Mitsubishi instead of Alpine.    

I just got back from the shop and I'm disappointed. The tech said the posts on this forum don't mention CR-V.

At first he said it was not possible, but I can't accept that - it's more professional to say "I don't know of a way".

If there is any way possible to use the 2014 CR-V's built in mic, I would love to do so, hoping more folks post answers.

Can you take a pic of your 14 CR-V HFL 28 pin connector and post it?

The pic below is the 28 pin connector from an 09-11 Civic.  If you look closely, you'll notice that molded into the connector is pin 1 on the upper right.  My Civic schematics show this as being pin 14 while my 11-12 CR-Z schematics show it as being pin 1.  In a nut shell, pins 12, 13, 14 are the same as pins 3, 2, 1.  

Because your 14 CR-V uses the same 28 pin connector that Honda/Acura has been using for at least a decade now, and the 12-14 CR-V HFL module has TAO (fist used in the Accord) in the part number, I'm willing to bet the mic pins (and the other pins too) are the same.  

20141125_073546-1.jpg

Another option is to drop the ambient light & microphone module and connect there to the microphone itself, leaving the harness to it unplugged.  I believe the module itself is identical to the one I got in my CR-Z... just the housing that it goes into is different.

That's just a thought/suggestion.  In my case, I was dealing with a Kenwood DNN990HD and had no idea whether the OEM mic was even compatible.  I pulled the OEM mic out of the module and plopped the one furnished with the HU in it's place.  Haven't tried it yet though.  I've had it installed for over a year now and keep saying I'm going try but you can see how that's going... and the DNN990HD even has voice command capability (by itself, in addition to phone).

Can you take a pic of your 14 CR-V HFL 28 pin connector and post it?

My apologies, the work was already done. If I saw this sooner I could have asked for the tech to take an image.

The tech moved the microphone over to the rear view mirror, seems to be not as bad as where it was by the instrument cluster area.

• 2 weeks later...

Following on donmotalvo's effort, I am trying to find out where my OEM bluetooth signals might be located on my CRV 2014 EX-L

Any ideas?

Here's a picture of my 28-pin connector.

IMG_0223_zps6e18cb7f.jpg

Thanks in advance.

That's not the HFL connector. Just a guess but that looks like the 20 pin radio connector.

This is what the HFL module looks like. _57.jpg