AVIC411.com

AVIC-Z1 Map update??

Hey all,

I just install my AVIC-Z1 monday and love it to death. My one gripe is I am in the fastest growing city in the us and everything is changing... I have certain places (school and work) that are older than 2 years and not on the map system at all. Is there any update out there or one planned? Also, is there a way to train the voice commands for certain operations... I cant get the "AV Operation" to work... it just wont recognize the command.... "Basic Operation" works.... strange....

Jason
[quote name="jvcjbl"]Hey all,

I just install my AVIC-Z1 monday and love it to death. My one gripe is I am in the fastest growing city in the us and everything is changing... I have certain places (school and work) that are older than 2 years and not on the map system at all. Is there any update out there or one planned? Also, is there a way to train the voice commands for certain operations... I cant get the "AV Operation" to work... it just wont recognize the command.... "Basic Operation" works.... strange....

Jason[/quote]Pioneer is not that good about keeping everything up to date. They are doing better than Eclipse, Alpine, and Kenwood but it's still not that good. On the other hand, unless you are using XM NavTraffic, you probably shouldn't need directions to school and work unless you have bad memory. As far and getting updates soon...Pioneer has been putting out updates twice a year. I know that's the way it's been working for the other models. Usually you start at 1.0 which is what you should have now, and then you get 1.1 and eventually 1.2. Then the new software comes out for the new model (which you have to pay for). That's usually when the major map updates occur. The others are mostly to fix bugs with the firmware or to update features. Lastly, I am not aware of a way to train the Z1's voice recognition. If you are having problems with it not recognizing "AV operation" but it has no problem understanding a variant of the command, it is probably a bad unit. Others might tell you to place the MIC somewhere else (which can't hurt) but I think it's impractical since your unit understands other commands. If you have no problem getting used to saying a command other than the intended command, you should be alright but in my opinion, you should get it swapped. At the price these things are going for you shouldn't be having any problems and if you do you shouldn't have to deal with it. If you can get it swapped, tell them you only want the Z1 and microphone swapped so you won't have to rewire everything. Your dealer should have no problem with it.
If you registered your Z1 on Pioneer's website, they will send them out to you when they become available; at no cost. If you want the major updates that usually comes with the new software on the new models, you will have to pay for it. For example, when v 1.1 comes out for the Z1, if you've registered it online, you should get it in the mail. If you want the v1.0 for next years Z2, you have to pay for it. I'm only assuming there will be a Z2. Basically, if there is an update for your model, it's free. If it's a newer model, you have to pay for it. More than likely the software will show up on a torrent somewhere and you can just burn it to a dual-layer DVD+R and update your Z1 with Z2 software. I did that a few times on my N1 and N2 and it works.
[quote name="caliscooter"]So when you update your map database, the same software also does firmware updates??? That may be a good or bad thing.

~Sh[/quote]

Yep, only time will tell if a firmware update will disable the "flasher" mods. However, since there doesn't appear to be a button bypass like on some earlier models, hopefully they will keep this "hack" in tact.
If Pioneer disables the bypass with a firmware update, someone will crack the software to where you can use the original firmware but use the new maps. This can be accomplished by burning an ISO of the new update disc, extracting the files, remove the new firmware and place the original firmware on the ISO. Then you can burn it onto a dual-layer DVD and finally insert it into the Z1 for the update. Of course this is not as easy as it sounds. There is still no information on how to access the Z1's HDD so extracting the original firmware is currently impossible. Once someone figures out how to unlock the HDD, all we need to figure out is which file is the firmware. Over at the12volt.com, they are working on extracting the firmware from the AVIC-N1 and incorporating it into the AVIC-N2 and N3 maps. Last time I checked they still had not identified the file for the firmware. Eventually someone will find a way to bypass the Z1 if a firmware update disables the flasher mod. It's pretty obvious that Pioneer puts these bypasses there for the consumers to figure out. They know that if the unit is only partially functional when the car is in motion, eventually their customers will be discouraged and not purchase their products. Why else would they keep making the bypasses easier? The D1/D2 had a simple wire trick. The N3 has a switch for you when the N2 had to be soldered. And the Z1... just a simple flash? Come on, how much easier is it gonna get? At least with the Z1 they were nice enough to give us one that will not void our warranties. I don't think Pioneer really cares if you use the bypass or not. In my opinion, the lockout is just there to protect their ass.
Obviously they put the bypass in them!
This way the people who find the saftey features totally unacceptable will still buy the unit.
Oh plus they cover their ass by saying, "that customer modified the unit, not our fault...."

I think it is great that pionner includes a simple bypass