AVIC411.com

my custom ipod dock

heres a thought for those of you that have the cd-ib100 and want to dock your ipod visibly in your car....i ran the cord under the trim in my steering column (a tight fit), removed the white housing on the ipod adapter, then the metal insulating box, cause i needed the wires to really flex as there was not nearly enough depth under the trim for it the way it was...i was just gonna leave the ipod plug in exposed out of the trim and drop my ipod directly onto it, but the connection wasnt enough, and the music would turn off if i came to a sudden stop or hit a bump....not gonna work for me....so i went to best buy and bought a silicone sleeve for my ipod and cut more than half off so it basically became a small dock that i could slide the ipod into...now i had to anchor it...went to osh's, got a black metal piece i found designed for who knows what, and it fit the back of the sleeve really good....used some serious super glue to put the sleeve and metal 2gether, slid the dock up on the ipod, put some more super glue on bottom of metal piece, docked ipod, then slid the sleeve down in place and held tight till glue bonded...removed ipod, cleaned excess glue best i could, then put a few more squirts where i could fit it to strengthen the dock....was worried it would look cheesy, buy it came out pretty good and works like a charm in anchoring ipod, still gonna use a bit more adhesive on the bottom of dock to make it flush all around...using my ipod bypass, i can now reach through the steering wheel and use the ipod directly to navigate for the song i want...pics are belowIMG_2042.jpg[/img]

IMG_2046.jpg

[/img]IMG_2049.jpg

from the pic, it seems like you can't see the gas or other gauges very well, but from the drivers perspective it doesnt really get in the way, so I won't run outta gas 8) and reachin through the steering wheel is not the best idea while driving, but when your not movin, you can reach through and scroll on the ipod directly...wish pioneer just made the interface better

i need to control the ipod directly cause the interface sucks!!! it takes about 3-5 mins to get to any band that starts with 'L' or 'O', etc...at least on my N2, which is now considered an older model. my method works with the cd-ib100, i don't think it works with the cd-i200, and i dont think it works with 1st or 2nd gen. model ipods (the old skool ones) the mp3 interface is so much better, i might just scratch the whole ipod deal and stick to mp3 format...