AVIC411.com

Kenwood 7100 ready for install

With every Kenwood I've ever seen, all you have to do is ground the parking brake wire on the radio. With the old add on G510 nav module, even the lawyer disclaimer screen disappears on its own after a few seconds when the unit is bypassed. Kenwood definitely beats Pioneer in the ease of bypass category.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With every Kenwood I've ever seen, all you have to do is ground the parking brake wire on the radio. With the old add on G510 nav module, even the lawyer disclaimer screen disappears on its own after a few seconds when the unit is bypassed. Kenwood definitely beats Pioneer in the ease of bypass category.

A shop here in Nashville just installed one, and sure enough, grounding the parking brake wire did the bypass. I saw the unit this morning, and it's pretty bad-ass.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got this unit installed in my Magnum SRT8 and will work on getting video of it today or tomorrow...

Also silkjones ...I have a question....Did you get steering wheel controls to work? If so which PAC units did you need for the 300...I know our cars (LX's) are picky, so I need to know the right unit(s) to get?

I just got this unit installed in my Magnum SRT8 and will work on getting video of it today or tomorrow...

Also silkjones ...I have a question....Did you get steering wheel controls to work? If so which PAC units did you need for the 300...I know our cars (LX's) are picky, so I need to know the right unit(s) to get?

Picky isn't the word. I went thru h*ll and high water just to get the unit to function properly. After all that I didn't even think about the steering wheel controls. I don't miss it too much so may just pass on that option.

Good work on the double-DIN conversion, I know what a PITA it can be converting 1.5-DIN to 2-DIN!

I think Pioneer's navigation UI is a lot better looking, but the Kenwood/Garmin UI does look like it might be easier for someone who has never used a nav system to figure out.

Good work on the double-DIN conversion, I know what a PITA it can be converting 1.5-DIN to 2-DIN!

I think Pioneer's navigation UI is a lot better looking, but the Kenwood/Garmin UI does look like it might be easier for someone who has never used a nav system to figure out.

perhaps more important, the nav system is more readable for a driver while drving because its less cluttered than the pioneer. I mean who really needs a graphic rendering of the sky and clouds in the background...

Hmm, my Pioneer doesn't have a sky and clouds, I must not have found that setting!

Yeah, the Kenwood UI definitely looks simpler. On another forum someone called it "cartoonish". The Pioneer UI has transparencies and more detailed looking graphics/icons. Pioneer could be considered more like Windows Vista: looks prettier onscreen, but doesn't work any better than a simpler OS like XP or 2000.