AVIC411.com

Kenwood 7100 ready for install

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I couldn't get videos up yet, car is currently in shop getting some modifications done...once it is back i will get videos of the 7100 in action up for you all to see...

i know this is a radio forum, but wanted to share in the newest mod to my Magnum with you all...here's the first mold on the car...The final will be made out of Carbon Fiber

CBD_Magnum_Hood_017s-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
any eta on when you will have videos up

My car is currently at shop....alot of new mods going into her....Some to make her look good and some to make her go fast..Can't rush the go fast stuff, so hopefully after it's all done, dyno and track tested it looks like about 2 to 3 weeks..Hey it's a sponsored car and if they want to put free go fast stuff on it I am not gonna rush them ya know what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow didn't know the Kenwood model was that great. Don't know if the maps are good it being 2 gigs and all vs the Pioneer 's 20 gigs (?), though the Kenwood does have the Garmin. Being a user of a garmin nuvi i definitely love it, though I don't know if I can toss out more POI and detailed maps for better gps and less POI.

Question though for those of you with it. I know the Kenwood has traffic display via XM but from their site it also says they get traffic through TMC. I know select Garmin portable GPS models can get traffic through a TMC receiver, do you need to get a TMC receiver for the Kenwood or does it get the info through your car antenna? And do you have to pay the TMC subscription fee through Garmin's site as well?

And about bluetooth, their site says the model is BT ready but their installation manual doesn't show anything about a BT accessory plus their instruction manual suggests the model has BT built-in(?), is it built in? If so, do you need a mic or is it packaged? I read the unit doesn't have voice recognition and I didn't see a mic input anywhere in some pics.

EDIT: forgot to ask, it doesn't seem like you need a VSS wire for the unit, but can it be used for more accurate positioning?

Thanks

*Sigh* Man, ya'll haven't been doing your research right. Kenwood is a brand that has low ass ratings, they break too too much, like most head units do, but this one will give you double the problems. Nothing like a Z1 comming from Japan, they have had problems too, but no where near these piece of shit units. It's sad that people look for way lower quality units just to save about 100 - 200 bucks. Good Luck to ya'll, you'll need it.

Not to mention you can simply pop a SD card into the unit to update the navigation as opposed to buying new discs!!!! I just wish you could put music on the SD card and play it. Perhaps you can. I'm just waiting for Scosche to come out with their install kit for my Volvo and then I'm putting the DNX in!

• 2 weeks later...
FF2Moe, how good is the video playback quality on this Kenwood? Would you say its better than Pioneer D3?

Video playback is awesome compared to my Eclipse unit I had....and I have a friend who has the Z1 and he says the only difference he sees in his unit and my unit is the hard drive, but he would be inclined to getthe Kenwood if he didn't already have his Z1...The NAV will tell me to turn left or right intohis driveway where as his just tells him you have arrived at you destination when he is within eyesight of his house...

Still haven't gotten my car back, should be here by end of next week, I PROMISE to post video of all it's functions at that time.

Note: the only thing you have to get used to with the video is that if you don't feel like using the remote, then you have to remember where all the funtions on the screen are...I.E. right side of screen is forward, left side is reverse, forget what the top, bottom and mid is for haven't had car in two months, so I forget...DAMN YOU OLD AGE. HAHAHAHA

I just had the DNX-7100 installed, and I very happy with the results. I came from a DDX-7015 + DV3100 Nav System, so I'm familiar with Kenwood's quirks:

Pros:

1) Excellent, spot-on navigation

2) Rediculously easy to bypass

3) Modules (BT, iPod, XM) just plain work

4) Cost ($1000 less than Z2)

Cons:

1) I expected the traffic data to overlay on the map screen so you can see the traffic as you drive around without programming a destination, but the traffic map that buried in a few selection screens. On the plus side if you are traveling on a freeway with any known traffic conditions ahead it will let you know verbally and/or with an alert icon on the map screen, and then you just press the icon to see what the traffic problem is.

2) Album art takes a few seconds to load. This might be because my art is too large, but I wish it were quicker.

3) The steering wheel interface PAC SWI-JACK is not always immediately responsive. I'm not sure if this is a PAC problem or a Ford problem (it's an '07 Sport Trac), but I suspect it's a PAC problem. When you make a universal device that covers "95%" of all cars made since 1986 and 4 different headunit manufacturers, it may not be optimized for any one particular configuration.

4) No voice input (ala Z1 and Z2)

5) You have to wait for the unit to power up before the rear view camera works. On the plus side, it boots up faster than the Z2.

Here are a couple more screens:

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/14369/K ... /ipod1.jpg

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/14369/K ... /ipod2.jpg

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/14369/K ... 00/Nav.jpg

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/14369/K ... /tuner.jpg

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/14369/K ... 0/tele.jpg

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/14369/K ... raffic.jpg

http://www.zjstech.net/~library/14369/K ... 0/trip.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have both the d3 and the kenwood ddx 7019 (same as the dnx 7100 without the nav built in) with the nav ad on. I must say, the sound quality on the d3 is better in my opinion. Not to say that it's bad on the kenwood because it far from bad, just a little better on the pioneer. The video quality is just as good. It took me a while to get used to the Kenwood (gotta read that manual) but after that I found it just as easy to use as the d3. As far as nav goes I like the detailed maps of the d3 better. All in all, I would recommend anyone still on the fence between the two go to a local shop (if possible) and play around with them. There are + and - to both units.

• 3 weeks later...