AVIC411.com

D3 installed on my Scion tC

Finally got it installed! Bypass done in a minute. Brackets modified so cover fits flush. Ipod adapter works awesome and fast. I don't have bluetooth nor sirius/xm installed. Navigation works great and I leave dvd in drive since I only use my ipod as a source of music. Now to buy the avox jukebox :)

Pros

- Navigation is great but this is my first NAV

- Screen is bright and no problems with glare

- iPod is fast with really no delay

- Cheap?!

Cons

- Can't play xvid file (gotta modify them)

- Select iPod videos through iPod itself and not directly through headunit

Haven't had much time to really play with it but those are the first things I noticed. Again, this is my first aftermarket head unit/navigation so I can't compare it to other models in regards to features and navigation.

Straight outta the box

img0732jb3.th.jpg

RCA cable for the bypass

img0735sd8.th.jpg

Picked out wire with eyeglass screwdriver

img0742yv7.th.jpg

Bypass finished

img0738zt8.th.jpg

Stock head unit vs Avic D3

img0746uc6.th.jpg

Modified Brackets

img0752qi2.th.jpg

Modified Brackets with Metra kit screwed on

img0755vu5.th.jpg

Most of the wiring done

img0763pj2.th.jpg

Daytime Pictures

img0766lw0.th.jpg

img0769ut2.th.jpg

img0774ys6.th.jpg

img0773md2.th.jpg

Nighttime Pictures

img0781wa8.th.jpg

img0784oz6.th.jpg

img0785yc8.th.jpg

Tested it on "scene" xvid releases and it worked. Movies took a good minute to load off dvd. AC3 works as it loaded them off aXXo release but showed up as 2 channel on Avic. Here are some pictures.

Fearless AC3

img0798mi5.th.jpg

Family guy, Rocky, and Top Gear

img0794bu8.th.jpg

img0793pz7.th.jpg

img0792zt1.th.jpg

Customizable Wallpapers

img0804mr2.th.jpg

Seems like D3 is picky as image resolutions. An image the size of 500x375 filled the screen up. While that image above is 1200x800 and had edges like fullscreen movie on a widescreen set. No option to expand of stretch either.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ill post one after work but it's really simple. I got my wiring harness from Crutchfield and I am sure its the same one for your FJ since its toyota. Pioneer wires match the colors of the wiring harness. So its just match the colors and look over master sheet given by crutchfield. I can take a picture of the sheet if you want also. Only thing you have to worry about is VSS and Reverse (not required).

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/s ... ectronics/

great forum for your FJ cruiser and bunch of people who ordered the D3.

Hey Phanon_TC,

I am also looking to install the D3 into my scion tC. I have a few questions that I hope you can answer. First since it appears you have bought it from crutchfield how was the paperwork and instructions given regarding the tc? Also, does the mount it come with allow for the radio door to shut with ease and if not how hard is it to modify? And another and final question, would you do the install again if you have never done anything with car radios? I ask this because I haven't ever changed a radio in a car and am unfamiliar with it and the difficulty of installing the GPS antenna.

Install was fairly easy since the pioneeer wires match the colors of the wiring harness supplied by crutchfield. With the wiring harness is a mastersheet included so tell you which wire does what. Just match what wires are what with mastersheet and install manual for D3.

Mounting it with the stock holes on tC doesn't allow the cover to close completely due to the knob. The mounting brackets need to be drillled where the indentations are so the D3 can be seated about 1/4' back. I used a 3/16" drill bit.

I have never installed a car stereo before but was fairly easily since the wires again are just match colors/funtions and connect together. Once all is connected, connect to stock harness. All you need to do is find a place to ground it, sensor speed, and reverse. I can take pictures of where I hooked those up if you want.

As for the GPS antenna, it is really small and includes a magnet pad. Millions of places to put it but I put mine on my drivers side dash board at the far end.

If you need help with anything installing it on your tC, just PM.

hey guys not to bust your bubble because i love avics but for scions if you get the eclipse double din navigation unit its a direct plug in to factory wiring and your steering wheel controls and everything work with it which is pretty sweet just a thought.

hey guys not to bust your bubble because i love avics but for scions if you get the eclipse double din navigation unit its a direct plug in to factory wiring and your steering wheel controls and everything work with it which is pretty sweet just a thought.

Hey, although im always open for advice or ideas. I have a '05 tC so I dont have steering wheel controls and I have been waiting for a nav unit this cheap for a long time.

Any pics of the harness hook up. I will be doing it on a FJ cruiser next weekend

img0763pj2.th.jpg

that how it looked after I got all the wires hooked up. All I need was the ground, vss (pink) and reverse (purple) to hook up.

Here is the harness crutchfield supplied

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LzPdWds0Xo ... =120701761

and the manual. Pretty straight forward if u look at that and D3 install manual (download on pioneer website)

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manual ... 701761.PDF

Exept for the negative illumination wire. ou have to cut that one and if I remeber correctly that is the parking brake wire.

Thanks for providing all of the great pictures; install looks great!

You mentioned in your Cons section that:

'Select iPod videos through iPod itself and not directly through headunit'.

This is the first I'm hearing about this...you cannot browse your iPod videos via the Avic-D3?

Brent

Exept for the negative illumination wire. ou have to cut that one and if I remeber correctly that is the parking brake wire.

actually you don't have to cut any wires out on the tc or xb ive done the navigation units in both of them and yes you normally would would have to go to the parking brake or on those you can just ground the wire