AVIC411.com

D3 GPS Antenna mounting

First post for me. This site is awesome. After this site, I had to purchase the D3 from crtuchfield. awesome deal. However, it is on backorder so I must wait. Till then I want to familiarize myself with all I can. I feel pretty confident in the install as I have installed head units before, but never with a nav. Where is the best place to mount the gps antenna? I was thinking on my rear deck but does the defroster lines interfere with signal? Where have you guys mounted yours. Thanks in advance.

I drive a 07 Civic and i mounted mine under the dashboard. Its only under one thin layer of plastic. This also happens to be the same place where the OEM GPS antenna gets mounted. I dont know if its the best place to put it, but everytime i've chekced my GPS signal it says "OK".

I have an 05 civic, i tried mounting mine several places with very week signal. The places i tried were various places on the dash up against the windshield, both center and on both sides of the dash. All places on the dash did not work very well so i ended up mounting both GPS & XM on the roof of the car, GPS up front and XM to the rear. I now get full signal strength on both.

I have a D2 and my GPS antenna is mounted on my trunk in the middle to give it a nice look. Only thing to it is that you have to run the wire through the carpet and back seat.

Another option is to install it on the front dashboard and in the back window. Just any place where it can get signal easily.

I put mine on the roof, yeah you can get away with it inside but you'll always get the best signal on the roof. It was a major pita to pull all the panels and such to get it there but I'm glad I put it there. You only have to install this thing once so I figured I'd do it right.

Dan

Under the dash, above and behind the head unit. Just check it first with the unit turned on to make sure you're getting a good signal.

I actually went through the pains to mount mine at the back of my roof, but the cord was too short! I started by placing the antenna where I wanted it, and ran the cable all the way down the panels and through the floorboards, and it only came out to the passenger wheel well, about 2 feet short, argh! This is for an SUV of course, but still, grrrr. That said, it works fine where I put it, receiving what looks like 70-80% signal at most times.

Pioneer, please make the antenna cable a little longer next time!