AVIC411.com

OK, I have searched the forums until I can't see straight and have been unable to find anything to point me in the right direction so here is my saga... I cancelled my XM-navtraffic account but kept the XM and about 1 month later I pulled my D1 (now D2) out to do the brake bypass and in the process found one nasty mess of wires and connectors ( I let tweeter install everything, big mistake) after cleaning up the rats nest and putting everything back together, the next morning I was on my way to work and noticed that I had no XM (I didn't think to check it that night). I have a 72 mile round trip and found that I had a very intermittent XM reception where I used to have rock solid signal I am now getting no signal more often than music. I thought that It might be due to the break bypass. It's now about 3 months later and I have finally gotten around to messing with the XM. I yanked every thing out and chased the XM ant wire. Found that it had been kinked somehow. I didn't mess with the area that it was kinked when doing the by pass. Great... I straightned out the wire and made sure that it wasn't pinched/kinked when placing everything back. No help I still have no reception. I figured that since this all occured at the same time that I bypassed the brake maybe that was the problem. I undid the bypass and still nothing. I have the GEX-P10XMT installed in a 2005 Chevy Silverado and it appears that they have it connected to the factory XM antenna and it worked great for the first year. I did see one note on here that the glove box would need to be pulled to hook up to the factory antenna. My wire runs all the way up to the antenna on the roof itself. Is this incorrect? Has anyone ever experienced this problem after bypassing the break? How do I check to see if the Antenna or the XM unit is bad? Are the Antenna wire connections standard or do I need to purchase a replacement from Pioneer? This is really puzzling me. Thanks in advance.

I have done a reset on the D2 as well as the GEX-P10XMT several times. I have had refresh signal after refresh signal sent to the truck from XM and still no help.

Ok so you're saying that your xm tuner waas hooked up to the faactory antenna? If that's the case, then the person who installed the xm for you should have given you the xm antenna that came with the tuner. If they didn't that kinda sucks. As far as removing the factory antenna, you're going to have to remove the headliner to get the factory antenna out.

I guess that I am screwed in the respects then (another plug for how bad Tweeters are for installs), they did not give me the antenna that came with the D2. I take it the antenna is bolted on from the underneath. Is there any way to check the antenna and cable with a multimeter before I go ripping the antenna off? I would there there should be some ohm range ir such that it should be reading at the module end of the cable to give me some idea if what is the cause.

With a standard meter there really is no way to effectivly test a sat antenna. Sorry bro. Can you take a pic of the antenna end and whatever wiring you're referring to? It possible they may have gutted the old antenna and place the new one in it's shell. I've seen that one done, until people realized that modding the plug end is 1000x easier.

I can take a pick of the end that plugs into the sat module (that's the standard one for the pioneer module. I am a little reluctant to pull the head liner out just yet. That's a lot of work without having gone to XM for a complete account review yet. replacing the guts in the factory housing isn't something that I hade thought of. Knowing those idiots at tweeter, that's most likely exactly what they did. I will try to have the pic tomorrow if it's still something that you are looking for.

• 3 months later...

NOw for an update on my Saga. I have since the last post replaced the Antenna and the XM module All with no help. I have pulled the Head unit back out and found that I may have missed a ground wire. That has all been corrected and I even un-did the bypass just to make sure. I get XM signal in the same places on my 37 mile commute to work every day and loose it in the same places as well. I am at a complete loss for what is causing this. The XM status screen shows "no signal" unless I am in one of those 2 places, then is shows perfect signal. Is there anyone in the Northern VA (installer) area that is familiar with these head units and would be able to lend a hand in this? Has anyone experienced intermittent reception after installation of the new -60 discs? Pls help. I am becoming desperate.

• 1 year later...

For those who attempted to help me out with the intermittent XM issue that I had... I have the problem corrected. I recently upgraded to a Z3 and when I went to pick up the truck from the shop I had no XM signal. The installer found that the P10XMT module was defective and replaced it but I still had no siganl. He sent me on my way still with no XM. For S&G's I drove the same route that I was first noticing this issue and still the same thing. Long story short I found that I had a bad module as well as a bad antenna. when I mentioned That I had replaced them both they weren't both done at the same time so I was being baffled by 2 different problems. Needless to say I have renewed my subscription to XM and am enjoying it all the way too and from work once again. Thanks for all the help.