AVIC411.com

Remote start alarm on a hybrid

Any of you installers on here ever installed a remote start alarm on a hybrid? Im about to get an alarm and id like to get remote start on my 05 hybrid civic. Anybody have any experiance installing these on hybrids or is it the same as any other car.

well, it would install similar to a non hybrid, but what you need to consider is how the vehicle operates before the rs. Like, does it shut off at idle, at a stop then start when you begin to drive... also, is the 'warm up' time the same... Id venture to say that the answers to those two questions would leave you with the reply that "you shouldnt install a remote start" in that car. For example, the civic stops running the engine all together when at a stop light, meaning you dont want the vehicle running anyways when sitting parked, so a remote start is not recommened.

Actually it stops only if certain conditions apply. Mainly if you have the ac set to auto and the ac actually on. Durring the winter the car never auto stoped once because i did not use my ac. Other conditions will kick in the auto stop like if the battery cells are very low but that has never happened. Anyway, thanks for your input, I still havent decided on the rs but i will be getting an alarm soon.

actually, the ac part isnt true on the 06 civic hybrid. the car shuts off at lights irregardless of ac running. in fact i would think that if the ac was running it wouldnt shut off... i know for fact it does shut off at lights with ac not running. meaning for conservation of gas at the very least its not ideal.

So, is it just the remote start part you guys dont like, or would you not install an alarm at all? With an AVIC in there i want something thats going to scream bloody murder and will transmit that to me if someone is trying to rip me off.

Manguson Moss Warranty Improvement Act states a manufacturer can not void your warranty for aftermarket equipment being installed in a vehicle unless 1. They offer the same or comparable equipment FREE of charge. 2. They must prove that the aftermarket equipment is the sole cause of the failure. 3. Even if number 2 happens they ca only void the warranty on the part directly affected, ie an r/s causes the starter to drag. The starter burns out as a result. Warranty claim on the starter would be denied as a result. however if the brakes or other unrelated system were to fail the warranty claim can not be denied.

To the OP it is actually no different putting an r/s in a hybrid. The only thingis the a/c or heat must be on in order for the gas engine to run. I've done r/s's in every hybrid with the exception of the prius. No one seems to want to buy an extra one of those intelligent keys or whatever toyota calls them.

i think its just useless for a hybrid since its put together much different. but your 100% right about the sema or the other act you stated. though it isnt unheard of for the dealer to 'say' that your connections to blah blah helped contribute to an ecm problem or the like.

I've done r/s's in every hybrid with the exception of the prius. No one seems to want to buy an extra one of those intelligent keys or whatever toyota calls them.

So you have done rs on hybrids? Have there been any problems arise afterwards. Even a while down the road after install. And do you know if alarm manufactures like DEI or any other have any info or caution about installing an rs in a hybrid. I do have a lot to loose if i do this and it causes problems, I did get the 100,000 mile extended warranty on this thing and i dont want to give honda a reason to say my problem will be out of warranty because of remote start. Also the thing about the ac or heater having to be on for the car to start! I can start the car with the key when neither the ac or the heater is running so why would they have to be on for the rs?

So you have done rs on hybrids?

That's what I said

Have there been any problems arise afterwards. Even a while down the road after install.

To sound really cocky for a sec, I can count on 1 hand the number of remote starts I've done in the last 5 years that have a real, not operator, problem. Even those have been system related, not install related problems.

And do you know if alarm manufactures like DEI or any other have any info or caution about installing an rs in a hybrid.

The only cautions are stay the hell away from any wiring in orange loom.

I do have a lot to loose if i do this and it causes problems, I did get the 100,000 mile extended warranty on this thing and i dont want to give honda a reason to say my problem will be out of warranty because of remote start.

That's another good reason to have it done professionally. Shops have insurance to pay if for some reason something did happen.

Also the thing about the ac or heater having to be on for the car to start!

That's not exactly what I said.

I can start the car with the key when neither the ac or the heater is running so why would they have to be on for the rs?

Turn the ac/heat off and let the engine idle for a couple minutes, what happens? The engine shuts down right? You don't want that to happen when it's remote started because then the car doesn't warm up. The only way to keep that from happening to have the heat or ac on when you want to r/s the car.

If I come off as a prick, sorry. It's late and today was not a very nice day at work.

Ok, i think ill forget about the rs. cntry, what do you think of the PYTHON 700/702 and can i trust Circuit City to do a good job and what recourses do i have if they screw something up? How well are they trained on installing these things?

Pretty much what ^^^ he said. It all depends on the installer. I've seen some interesting installs from from the bi boxes, but the same holds true to the indies. It's all a matter of finding an installer that actually takes pride in their work.