AVIC411.com

Bypass AVIC-Z2 (old topic from General section)

Really simple. Keep the Parking brake wire grounded all the time. Put a switch on the GPS Ant, How? Tools u need, sawder gun, sawder and splitters. use a switch on GPS Ant. Its a coaxl Ant(Power on the inside and Ground is the outside sheeld) Put switch on the power sheeld wire. its in the center of the wire. It works.When doing so, try not to break the out side sheeld of the wire(make sure the outside layer of the coaxl ant isnt disturbed).Try it When installing unit plug up GPS Ant to unit inorder for it the update location, then unplug Ant and drive. The Only Disadvantage about Bypass must Connect GPS Ant back when u need Navigation.Unit doesn't take long to figure out were your at. 3 seconds the most. IF THERE IS A DIFFRENT WAY OF BYPASSING UNIT PLEASE LET US KNOW........................... OUR WAY WORKS. MOE AND GREG GOT THIS ONE...

I think they are changing them around just to show due diligence that they are trying to make them "legal" units and we are fighting to try to figure these out. Pioneer is walking a fine line of trying to make them not play dvds while driving and if it was impossible we wouldn't buy them. We want them unlocked... they want them locked but they can't deliver them to use easily unlockable. I would guess it's something like that.

Oh and here is the engineer in me coming out.

If you guys are going to try resistors, put a volt meter across the resistor when you do it. You obviously need to connect to the pin that has 5V on it. When you put a resistor across that and ground measure the voltage across the resistor. Anything meaningfully would be in the 2.5V range, I would assume.

There is a pull up resistor to bring that point to 5V. If you short it to ground, it would be 0V. But if you need a resistor then that means that the pin is looking for a "somewhere in the middle" voltage. The problem is we don't know what that pull up resistor is. If you stick a 1ohm or short to ground we know that doesn't work. If you stick a high resistance across it and it's too close to 5V then that won't be different enough to make a difference. When you get a resister so the voltage is 2.5V then you know how big the resistor is pulling that pin to 5V it's the same size. Technically that point could be looking for a small range of voltages between 2.3 and 2.7 or whatever.... it could be looking for 4.2 through 4.5V. I don't know what pioneer is doing. But if you measure the voltage across the resistor and it's close to 0v or 5v I would assume you are way off and try a different value.

Here's a thought to make it a lot easier to try things: Run wires out of the dash from each possible pin pulled up to 5 volts and also one from ground. Then hook them up to a decade box with a high impedance volt meter hooked across the wires and play with different resistance settings while someone else drives.

I wish I had access to a Z2 myself. Not knowing how to bypass it is bugging me to death. LOL

I have ben told to add resistors to the parking brake untill it reads 5 volts . which makes no sense to me. i would say hook the parking brake wire to the output wire that read 5 volts. doesnt that make more sense.

does the parking brake wire show 12volts when its not grounded? i do not have one here but can only asssume thats what it does. my customer did not come in yet.

Well just to be very clear about this.... There are 2 wires in your vehicle (and I'm sure you know this, but I just want to reiterate this for anyone else reading).

There is the vehicle's "Parking Brake" wire. And the Avic's "Parking Brake Sense" wire.

I don't know if these are the correct terms, but I picked them just to help distinguish.

The vehicle's parking brake sense wire is normally 12V until you apply the parking brake and ground that wire, then it sits at 0V.

I don't know what the parking brake sense wire from the Z1 (or the Z2) sits at normally. I would assume "high" which is parking brake off (either it's pulled high or needs to be connected to the vehicle's parking brake wire which is high).

The thing that confuses me is that from measuring the voltage on "wire #2" from the Z1 bypass... that bing 5V makes me thing the internal processor runs at 5V (very common). The parking brake sense wire will go from 0V to 12V (the car's low and high logic levels). But maybe the Z1/Z2 is internally dropping the voltage in there from 12V to 5V it's maximum high level. And by putting in 5V on that input you are giving the processor about 1/2 of the voltage it's normally looking for if they used a simple resistor divider. Or if they used a transistor to the processor's power, dropping the parking brake input to 5V wouldn't do anything differently then attaching it to 12V. I would use a transistor to do the level shifting (which I did in my circuit) than using a voltage dependent resistor divider which would need to be done to make 5V mean anything on the parking brake. They could have done this but I would be surprised if they did.

This all depends on what Pioneer did internally to the Z2 and how they did it.

My guess not having anything to test this with would be to measure the pins on connector 2. Which ever one is at 5V, put on resistors on that line so you see 2.5 volts. That voltage made me thing I was going right into the processor.

But what tech12volt was told seems interesting. I would assume that the input voltage is 12V on the AvicZ2's parking brake sense wire (I could be wrong). But if they think there is a resistor that would get it to 5V then it would have to be higher than that. You would be putting a resistor between the parking brake sense wire on the avic and ground. And I would start with a 10K and see what it measures. If the voltage is still too high then decrese the resistor, if it's too low, increase it.

If the normal voltage on the parking brake sense wire our of the Avic was 0V then it would assume the parking brake was on when nothing was connected. But something in my gut tells me this won't work. Just thinking of how I would take a 12V input into a 5V processor and do the level shifting.

Sounds like some good testing. Please come back and let us know what you find out.

i tried disconnected the vss. it is not the vss that is the problem. it is detecting through the gps antenna ( at least thats what i have come up with so far). going to be doing another 1 soon so i have some more things to try. will let you know asap.

Disconnecting things that input motion are not the answer. Because the Z1 has internal gyros and can sense motion even with everything external unplugged. I would assume the Z2 is going to do the same thing.

The Z1 bypass is http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html#newbypass and I'll be willing to bet the Z2 is close. I would focus on the extra holes in connector 2 and measure voltages and work with a resistor for different voltages across the secret hole in connector 2. I would not worry about a resistor on the parking brake sense wire, I would focus on the connector 2 holes.

Just what I would do.

we measured them. we got a 4.88 volt in one empty pin. the brake wire was also the same voltages.

i tried disconnected the vss. it is not the vss that is the problem. it is detecting through the gps antenna ( at least thats what i have come up with so far). going to be doing another 1 soon so i have some more things to try. will let you know asap.

Disconnecting things that input motion are not the answer. Because the Z1 has internal gyros and can sense motion even with everything external unplugged. I would assume the Z2 is going to do the same thing.

The Z1 bypass is http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html#newbypass and I'll be willing to bet the Z2 is close. I would focus on the extra holes in connector 2 and measure voltages and work with a resistor for different voltages across the secret hole in connector 2. I would not worry about a resistor on the parking brake sense wire, I would focus on the connector 2 holes.

Just what I would do.