AVIC411.com

ok i got my hd to read now what?

Guest jake

Guest jake
i can view the files on the z1 hd, landed up using an ide-laptop case usb 2.0 and plugging it into my mac. its has a bunch of files and folders but i cant make sence of anything.
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="jake"]i can view the files on the z1 hd, landed up using an ide-laptop case usb 2.0 and plugging it into my mac. its has a bunch of files and folders but i cant make sence of anything.[/quote]

Did you have anything in your library? MP3's? Can you find them? Any JPG's or something?
[quote name="jake"]i can view the files on the z1 hd, landed up using an ide-laptop case usb 2.0 and plugging it into my mac. its has a bunch of files and folders but i cant make sence of anything.[/quote]

I did the same thing except I connected it to a PC instead of a MAC. From what I've read this shouldn't have worked. ATA locking doesn't care what computer you connect it to. Sounds like you have an unlocked hard drive.

Did you by chance do this before you ever turned the z1 on for the first time? Because of how the z1 locked another drive of mine as soon as it was inserted and powered up perhaps the inital drives from Pioneer come unlocked and are locked on first boot. Sort of like how smart cards are married in satelite systems for those that know about that stuff too.
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]
I did the same thing except I connected it to a PC instead of a MAC. From what I've read this shouldn't have worked. ATA locking doesn't care what computer you connect it to. Sounds like you have an unlocked hard drive.
[/quote]

Remember, the MAC is basically running Linux under the covers now... What size torx did you use to remove the hard drive cover?
[quote name="BigFloppy"] [quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]
[/quote]

Remember, the MAC is basically running Linux under the covers now... What size torx did you use to remove the hard drive cover?[/quote]

In the other thread I went into more detail but I also booted to Linux and had no luck. Again, its the ATA locking we need to get around and the OS doesn't matter, this is at the bios level of the drive. The drive ATA locking is setup so it will only accept a few commands. If he got into the drive then I'm thinking the drives come unlocked and get locked on initial bootup of the Z1. This would also lead me to believe the locking codes are going to be unique for each Z1. Pioneer probably has a master list of codes or an algorithm based on the Z1's serial number.

Torx size was very small. I'll look at lunch today if I still have the driver in the car.

Here is a quote from a PW recovery service on ATA hard drive locking:

HARD DISK LOCKS:
Some laptops provide a utility to lock a hard disk with a password. These passwords are not the same as BIOS passwords. Moving a locked hard disk to another machine will not unlock it, since the hard disk password is stored in the hard disk firmware and moves with the hard disk. Also, adding a new (unlocked) hard disk to a locked machine may cause the new hard disk to become locked. Also, note that hard disk lock passwords cannot be removed by reformatting the disk, fdisk or any other software procedure (since the disk will not allow and reads or writes to the disk, it cannot be reformatted.) Usually, the BIOS password and hard disk lock passwords are set the same by a user and we can recover the BIOS password directly from the laptop security chip (after it is removed from the system board.) However, it is possible that the BIOS password and hard disk lock passwords may be set different. In this case the BIOS password will not unlock the hard disk. You can test to determine if your hard disk is locked by attempting to access it in another laptop. Password Crackers, Inc. offers a service that can unlock most models of laptop hard disks. Detail are available on our hard disk page.
Well guys, none of my utilities can get access to the drive...

It gets recognized as a hard drive BUT then get I/O error.
I tried it as both Disk0 and Disk1 without any success. Like what was said in the other thread, it must be platter locked.

It's apparently NOT.. EXT2/EXT3/HPUX/NTFS anything that "MountEverything" ([url=http://www.mount-everything.com/]http://www.mount-everything.com/[/url]) can access anyways
[quote name="BigFloppy"]Well guys, none of my utilities can get access to the drive...

It gets recognized as a hard drive BUT then get I/O error.
I tried it as both Disk0 and Disk1 without any success. Like what was said in the other thread, it must be platter locked.

It's apparently NOT.. EXT2/EXT3/HPUX/NTFS anything that "MountEverything" ([url=http://www.mount-everything.com/]http://www.mount-everything.com/[/url]) can access anyways[/quote]

You're repeating my earlier work, thx for the double check. :lol:

I'm thinking the best way to get around this is to get one drive unlocked, load all the data on another drive that does not support the drive lock commands and use it as the primary system drive. As long as the Z1 will use it we can get back into it with no problems.