AVIC411.com

ok i got my hd to read now what?

Guest jake

[quote name="nbpdjc"]i have i question for those of you who have unlocked you drives. can you edit or rearange the songs stored in the library? [/quote]

Theoretically you could be we haven't cracked the "playlist" files and how the directory is structured. You would need to edit the extra files the Z1 makes in order for it to see the files in the new order and we haven't been able to do that.

[quote name="mikek"]OK. I just found this forum and I've been reading a lot. Wish I found it before I bought my Z1. I've had one for about 6 months.[/quote]

Welcome!

[quote name="mikek"]What happened to this thread? From what I have read there has been only one person who swapped a hard drive and had it work!?[/quote]

That is correct. I was one of the people who he sent his hard drive to and it didn't work in mine. His working replacement would not work reliably in my unit.

[quote name="mikek"]I've also gathered that he increased the music partition, but was limited to 1000 albums. That still sounds pretty damn good. Only about 250-300 fit on 10GB before I had to start deleting tracks.[/quote]

I haven't heard who has reached the limit yet. That stinks. The software maximum is 1000. I wasn't sure what the hard drive space limit was. If you are right and it's 300, then it's worth putting in a bigger drive (if you have more than 300 albums). I only have 3 loaded in there right now and they are all FIREHOUSE! :)

[quote name="mikek"]Did he check the space left percentage after loading a number of albums?

I'm ready to start messing with the thing because 10GB is too small.[/quote]

Feel free. We would love some new energy in this. Right now the only benefit to unlocking the drive is

1. Making a backup
2. Changing the boot image
3. Loading a few backgrounds
  • Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I just checked my Z1 music library and it only took about 200 cds before I got to 99% full and had to start deleting tracks.

I also noticed that it would take 2 cds before a one percentage went down on the hard drive space screen. So 200 cds makes sense.

I now have 206 albums and 6% left (after I deleted a crap-load of tracks).

I also read in the manual that the maximum artists and albums you can register is 400 (pg 116). That doesn't seem to jibe with the 1000 number you guys saw.

I was thinking that it might be pulp_fiction's Z1 installation and not his actual unit is the reason why his swapped HDD works. Maybe his car or installation doesn't vibrate the Z1 and the HDD doesn't lockup.
[quote name="mikek"]I was thinking that it might be pulp_fiction's Z1 installation and not his actual unit is the reason why his swapped HDD works. Maybe his car or installation doesn't vibrate the Z1 and the HDD doesn't lockup.[/quote]

That was my thought as well. I have an Aviator 4x4 which is not the smoothest ride in the world. But Pulp's vehicle was not a Town Car or something overly smooth. But with the fact that these drives are automotive use drives with a higher resistance to vibration and shock, it makes me think it's the replacement drives we were using. No one has bought an automotive drive and copied the stock drive to it.

A 30 gig laptop drive is not worth it to me. If they sold 80 gig and larger laptop drives which were rated for Automotive, and they were not prohibitively more expensive than standard ones, I would buy it and try it. I don't want to be stuck with a 30 gig drive that cost $160 (I think my last 120 gig laptop drive for my thinkpad was less) that I didn't have a use for.
[quote name="ducatiboy"] No one has bought an automotive drive and copied the stock drive to it.[/quote]

That is on my to do list. Gotta let the wife know to erase all that other crap she keeps writing on that white board.

Gonna start tinkering around with this thing. Wish it wasn't so damn cold outside.
[quote name="mikek"]Dang those things (automotive HDDs) might be cost-prohibitive. I might practice on some regular ones before trying an automotive HDD.[/quote]

That's what I thought... if they were anywhere close to the price of a normal drive I would try it. But they are very expensive for what you get.
  • 2 weeks later...
Here is every picture I have seen to date on the hard drive and the location, format, etc. Have fun and REMEMBER TO BACK UP FIRST!

Wanna modify your sky images in you navi?
Drive: SDATA
Subdirectory: SKY/GZ_NM
Files:
gz-nskyD-01.bmp - DAY SKY IMAGE (80 X 500)
gz-nskyN-01.bmp - NIGHT SKY IMAGE (80 X 500)

Change your XM ICONS ?
Subdirectorys:
AV/XMDPS - Channel Names BMP (136 X 40)
AV/XMCAT - Animated Catagories GIF (56 X 56)
AV/XMLPS - Small Channel Names BMP (56 X 24)

Load customized backgrounds for you AV / Navi apps?

Subdirectories: BG\OPENING
File: This is the Pioneer Booting picture!
OPENING.BMP (500 X 240)

Subdirectories: BG\PREINSTALL
Files: these files are the preloaded files that come with the system

Subdirectories: BG
Files: These are the custom loaded images you uploaded
AvCustomized.BMP
NaviCustomized.BMP

Wanna change your Default incomming call image?
Drive: LDATA
Subdirectories: TEL/IMAGE
File: DEFAULTADR.BMP

Wanna change your Custom Location images?
Drive: LDATA
Subdirectories: POINT/IMAGE
Files: JPG (320 X 240)
655_GZ_ET-001_ex.jpg Hamburger
655_GZ_ET-002_ex.jpg Pizza
655_GZ_ET-003_ex.jpg Pasta
655_GZ_ET-004_ex.jpg Tacos
655_GZ_ET-005_ex.jpg Salad
655_GZ_ET-006_ex.jpg Coffee
655_GZ_ET-007_ex.jpg Ice cream
655_GZ_ET-008_ex.jpg Petrol Station
655_GZ_ET-009_ex.jpg Parking
655_GZ_ET-010_ex.jpg Hotel
655_GZ_ET-011_ex.jpg Airplane
655_GZ_ET-012_ex.jpg Woman 1
655_GZ_ET-013_ex.jpg Woman 2
655_GZ_ET-014_ex.jpg Woman 3
655_GZ_ET-015_ex.jpg Woman 4
655_GZ_ET-016_ex.jpg Woman 5
655_GZ_ET-017_ex.jpg Woman 6
655_GZ_ET-018_ex.jpg Man 1
655_GZ_ET-019_ex.jpg Man 2
655_GZ_ET-020_ex.jpg Man 3
655_GZ_ET-021_ex.jpg Man 4
655_GZ_ET-022_ex.jpg Man 5
655_GZ_ET-023_ex.jpg Phone 1
655_GZ_ET-024_ex.jpg Phone 2
655_GZ_ET-025_ex.jpg Flower
655_GZ_ET-026_ex.jpg Rose
655_GZ_ET-027_ex.jpg Flowers
655_GZ_ET-028_ex.jpg Lily
655_GZ_ET-029_ex.jpg Sun flower
655_GZ_ET-030_ex.jpg River
655_GZ_ET-031_ex.jpg Sunset
655_GZ_ET-032_ex.jpg City Night
655_GZ_ET-033_ex.jpg Beach
655_GZ_ET-034_ex.jpg Cherry Blossom
655_GZ_ET-035_ex.jpg Birch tree
655_GZ_ET-036_ex.jpg Maple Leafs
655_GZ_ET-037_ex.jpg Grapes
655_GZ_ET-038_ex.jpg Cake
655_GZ_ET-039_ex.jpg Water Melon
655_GZ_ET-040_ex.jpg Strawberry
655_GZ_ET-041_ex.jpg Apple
655_GZ_ET-042_ex.jpg Tangerine

found most all this just browsing the drive.

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR DRIVE BEFORE MAKING CHANGES !!!!!!!!!!!!

You will thank me later :P have fun ill post more if i find any!
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="mikek"]Dang those things (automotive HDDs) might be cost-prohibitive. I might practice on some regular ones before trying an automotive HDD.[/quote]

That's what I thought... if they were anywhere close to the price of a normal drive I would try it. But they are very expensive for what you get.[/quote]
I know I'm a newbie poster on here., but I've been reading these forums for a while.

have you tried laptop hard drives? i have a 30 gb laptop hard drive you could borrow.
[quote name="stu1811"]I know I'm a newbie poster on here., but I've been reading these forums for a while.
have you tried laptop hard drives? i have a 30 gb laptop hard drive you could borrow.[/quote]

Yes you are, as for the drives many of us have. They seem to lock up. There was one guy (Pulp Fiction I believe) who got a laptop drive to work in his Z1. Everyone else who tried one, had their Z1 lock up within 5 minutes of driving. So Pulp sent me his laptop drive that worked in his Z1 and it locked up in mine. Is his Z1 special? Is my truck extra bumpy? I tried many different drive copying tools, and many different laptop drives and none work in my Z1. I have even backed up my image on a spare drive, that didn't work, wiped out my stock drive and re-imaged it back to the stock drive and that has worked great for 6 months now. What's the difference? Automotive vs Laptop drives and vibration is the only thing I can think of.
  • 4 weeks later...
Hey Guys,

This may be a long shot, and someone has probably already tried this, but ill throw it out there anway....

I recently bought an IPOD Nano 8 gig, and after installign it, it dawned on me, that the unit shows up as an actual "drive". I'm assuming that the IPOD Video 30 and 80 gig versions do the identical thing...can anyone confirm? I'm not sure what kidn of drives they use in the ipods (im assuming solid state drives), but regardless they are meant to take a lot of abuse, as far as motion, vibration, etc.

Do you think, a USB to IDE adapter can be used in place of the actual drives? I geuss until someone figures out how to manually dump music onto the drive, this may actually give you more space then the standard 10 gig to rip cd music....
Well, I know that there is an adapter to plug an IDE drive into a USB port. But what you would need is an adapter to plug a USB drive into an IDE (2.5" at that) port. I don't think that they exist and I'm not sure why they would because you wouldn't really gain anything from it (that I can see).
  • 1 month later...
There is a HDD that I've been using it is not an automotive HDD but I've logged thousands of miles and many hours on this one and it has worked very well. It may not work well in extreme conditions temp. vibration etc. but it has not failed me yet. It is a toshiba 4032 GAX. $44.95 at Chief Value online. This could allow you to keep the Main HDD secure and experiment with the Toshiba 4032 GAX. This HDD is 40GB and 5400RPMs it seems to respond a bit quicker. ATA 6 my be the reason it is working.
I've tried others with no luck but they were ATA 5??
  • 4 weeks later...